U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Because a lot of the employers in the Virginia suburbs of DC are government contractors having difficulty making ends meet due to sequestration cuts.
Perhaps this is true over the last year or so. I'm not sure whether the OP is taking a longer view than that, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbncoold View Post
Family issues. You can't just uproot a family and leave.

um, yes, you can. My father "uprooted" our family 6 times when I was a child. It was fine.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,047,331 times
Quote:
I think it is fair to generalize and it has nothing to do with skills or abilities, and everything to do with the stinginess of DC companies. I have awesome credentials and whenever I look for new positions I receive one offer per interview and I end up with multiple positions to choose from. I am talking about published, known salary ranges for open positions in this market. I just compare those to positions elsewhere in the country and find that NOVA employers are so cheap in comparison, although this is one of the most congested, expensive areas in this country. For example, I consistently see positions that pay $160K-$180K in New York and California that only pay $120K-$140K in DC, and around $100K-$120K in the Midwest and Southwest.

Those ranges seem in line to me for those metro areas. NYC and Cal are higher COL areas.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:54 AM

22 posts, read 18,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Those ranges seem in line to me for those metro areas. NYC and Cal are higher COL areas.
Is New York or CA really 1.3 times as expensive as NOVA? I don't think that is true. And if you factor in traffic, the poor mass transit options, and the lack of flexible work environments (mostly government contractors 9-5, dress code, no telecommute) I think NOVA comes close if not even exceeds the cost of living of New York and CA.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:00 PM

22 posts, read 18,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
will never come close to earning "only" $120k salary
I am just speaking hypothetically about salary ranges in this area compared to other areas. I am not saying $120K is low, but I am saying it's low compared to what you can get elsewhere.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,047,331 times
In general the COL is higher in NYC metro compared to here. You CAN l ive cheaply here if you dont care so much for school districts. Also not Government and maybe contractors will subsidize the Metro for you.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:33 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Quote:
Is New York or CA really 1.3 times as expensive as NOVA? I don't think that is true. ...I think NOVA comes close if not even exceeds the cost of living of New York and CA.
I realize this may not be completely equivalent but I decided to take a look at data from Vienna VA, Tenafly NJ and Costa Mesa CA. Looking at such metrics as median salaries and housing prices, NOVA seems to come out favorably compared to similar LA and NYC suburbs.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
As others have said or implied, several areas are pricier than here: San Francisco, San Jose, Manhattan, Honolulu, and probably others. But of course, greater DC is still more expensive than 90% of the USA.

In the DC area, I've worked for private employers, nonprofits, and the federal government. I do think the private employers are at the greatest disadvantage, in that they can only raise salaries so much. The federal government has locality pay (which, counterintuitively, is not based on cost of living but on average regional salaries). So-called nonprofits are often able to pay quite well through member dues and donations.

If you're unhappy with your salary, it could just be the line of work you're in, sorry to say. Some types of work have more people willing and able to do the job than there are positions.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 11-27-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 04:42 PM

5,078 posts, read 5,344,717 times
I still would like to see some job listings linked for comparisons sake. One from NoVA vs ones from the Midwest, southwest, etc.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:43 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
Quote:
Family issues. You can't just uproot a family and leave.
Of course you can; people do it every day, usually for job opportunities. If you've been here for five years and are still unhappy about it, that's probably not going to change. Explain to your spouse and children that you'll have a better quality of life with the higher salary your awesome credentials will bring you from a non-cheap employer in one of those places you'll be happier in with less congestion and a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia