U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM

22 posts, read 18,839 times

Advertisements

It seems that NOVA employers have fallen behind the times and think they can still offer low pay in this unhappy, congested area. Why would someone live here on a wage that is the same as what they can get in the beautiful, quiet Midwest or Southwest? The lifestyle in NOVA is so terrible, that salaries should be at least similar to New York or California salaries (traffic and housing is definitely as bad or even worse), yet NOVA companies are so cheap compared to companies in New York or CA. There certainly is no lack of money or opportunity for those companies in this area, just lack of fair compensation to their employees.

Does anyone else share this opinion or am I completely wrong? I would appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:37 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,366,034 times
which employers, what job title and where's it located?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 AM

148 posts, read 250,125 times
I don't think it is ever fair to post such a generalization towards all employers. Yes, if you want to buy a home, the increase in pay is probably not going to cover the increased mortgage, but I think that the quality of life here isn't as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. There are a lot of good things about this area that make moving here well worth the sacrifices.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:21 AM

7,966 posts, read 9,718,976 times
I'm very pleased with my pay from my current and past employer.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 AM

734 posts, read 1,734,588 times
Well, if all employers are offering you "subpar" pay, perhaps it's more of an issue regarding the prospective employee's skills, abilities, and personality, and not cheapness by the employer. The DC area has some of the highest household median salaries in the country (over $100k in Fairfax and Loudon, and close to that in PWC), so quite a number of people are getting paid quite well. I'm sorry that you cannot find a job that pays you what you believe you deserve.

However, looking at your history, you've been complaining about NoVA on this forum for over two years. If CA and NY are so much more appealing, why don't you look there? I don't mean this as "stop complaining or leave" (either the area or C-D), but rather: Life is too short to choose to be miserable. If this area has nothing that appeals to you, either personally or professionally, try someplace new for your own sake.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 AM

89 posts, read 158,934 times
I've noticed this with wage or entry level jobs. I've wondered why stick around too if those are the only jobs available to you, because you don't have the experience or education to get something else. You'd be much better off in a cheaper area with less competition for jobs.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 AM

22 posts, read 18,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Lover View Post
I don't think it is ever fair to post such a generalization towards all employers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
perhaps it's more of an issue regarding the prospective employee's skills, abilities, and personality
I think it is fair to generalize and it has nothing to do with skills or abilities, and everything to do with the stinginess of DC companies. I have awesome credentials and whenever I look for new positions I receive one offer per interview and I end up with multiple positions to choose from. I am talking about published, known salary ranges for open positions in this market. I just compare those to positions elsewhere in the country and find that NOVA employers are so cheap in comparison, although this is one of the most congested, expensive areas in this country. For example, I consistently see positions that pay $160K-$180K in New York and California that only pay $120K-$140K in DC, and around $100K-$120K in the Midwest and Southwest.

Last edited by dbncoold; 11-27-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 08:04 AM

1,998 posts, read 2,934,738 times
If DC or NoVa employers are so stingy, how does this metro area have the highest median incomes in the country? Loudoun, Howard and Fairfax are the top three highest median income counties in the US, and then Arlington is at number 5.

The OP's premise is just factually wrong. DC area employers are the opposite of stingy, by and large.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,401,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbncoold View Post
I think it is fair to generalize and it has nothing to do with skills or abilities, and everything to do with the stinginess of DC companies. I have awesome credentials and whenever I look for new positions I receive one offer per interview and I end up with multiple positions to choose from. I am talking about published, known salary ranges for open positions in this market. I just compare those to positions elsewhere in the country and find that NOVA employers are so cheap in comparison, although this is one of the most congested, expensive areas in this country. For example, I consistently see positions that pay $160K-$180K in New York and California that only pay $120K-$140K in DC, and around $100K-$120K in the Midwest and Southwest.
Will you please link the job postings so that we can see the comparison?

I'd also like to see how the COL compares in these other cities compared to NoVA. I mean, if you can live someplace with a lower COL and make the same salary, instead of complaining take advantage of those opportunities and move!

Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,089,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbncoold View Post
It seems that NOVA employers have fallen behind the times and think they can still offer low pay in this unhappy, congested area. Why would someone live here on a wage that is the same as what they can get in the beautiful, quiet Midwest or Southwest? The lifestyle in NOVA is so terrible, that salaries should be at least similar to New York or California salaries (traffic and housing is definitely as bad or even worse), yet NOVA companies are so cheap compared to companies in New York or CA. There certainly is no lack of money or opportunity for those companies in this area, just lack of fair compensation to their employees.

Does anyone else share this opinion or am I completely wrong? I would appreciate any insight.
You have a point that for some, the allure of Manhattan or coastal California beats a generally sprawling suburban area. But what it comes down to is supply and demand. NOVA as a whole has one of the more currently stable (and in better times, booming) economies in the country. No doubt that is buoyed by people working for and with the federal government as well as the tech sector around Dulles and Tysons.

I actually see this area paying as well as any metro other than NYC and some larger parts of CA. However, I would predict any salary increase in NYC or SF/LA/SD would be at least offset by the (even) higher cost of living there. The traffic won't be any better either, although NYC does have more mass transit coverage in comparison to DC.

If you're looking for more bang for your buck, you'll want to look at larger metros in Texas. You will likely be paid less in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin and San Antonio but the cost of living for comparable lifestyles would be more favorable.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-27-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia