Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

I must admit, that living in this area, everything is right at your fingertips.

I guess the best thing I like about the area is being able to hop on the metro subway and going to DC. My bfs parents moved back to the area where they were born in WV after living here for many years. One of them misses it and the other is very happy to be back 'home.'

I am accustomed to the more rural and country life, and having to drive 30-45 minutes to get places was normal. I actually enjoy the rides like that because I like to take pictures of scenic-type things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
This morning some guy behind me blared his horn and threw his hands up because I didn't gun it the second the light turned green, then flicked me off when I waved to him. I still love NOVA.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,199 times
I used to think it was one of the greatest places, but then I moved away and realized other options actually exist.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:49 AM

69 posts, read 96,052 times
The entire DMV is terrible.
Maryland is trashy.
Virginia is chock full of snobs
And DC is right between the two.
People talk about jobs here. That's BS. My bf is qualified for an Developer position has experience and everything. A certain government company screwed him by offering only $54,000 per year. With a $1400 apartment and bills, it isn't enough to live comfortably. I myself am a recent graduate, Capitol Hill experience, strong resume, I cannot find a job. You can't get a job here until you kiss someone's butt.
The people in (Northern) VA are snobs--like I said. But they will try to fight with you over a parking spot. I had a guy come up to my window, thinking he could intimidate me--ha joke was on him because he ended up running back to his car.
Not only that but this part of the country is the least honest place in the US.
Among other reasons, you have to be a heartless CEO type person to live here and enjoy it.
I could write so much more but I'll end it there.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:06 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,357 times
The job market is good; and we have a 17 trillion Dollar debt to show for it. Getting services is almost alway extortion, and they commonly cost double what they would in many parts of the country. Other than the leaves changing, the scenery is more boring than Tucson, SLC, and a long list of others, where housing is 1/3, but MVD is the only place where former short bus riders can make 6 figures. Restaurant scene gets a C-, bar scene gets a D, quality of life for apartment renters and other poor souls making less than 50K per year: F. Oh, and don't forget if your looking to part with a whole year of disposable income, then just go in for a free dental screening.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:57 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Madame View Post
Maryland is trashy.
People talk about jobs here. That's BS. My bf is qualified for an Developer position has experience and everything. A certain government company screwed him by offering only $54,000 per year. With a $1400 apartment and bills, it isn't enough to live comfortably. I myself am a recent graduate, Capitol Hill experience, strong resume, I cannot find a job. You can't get a job here until you kiss someone's butt.
The people in (Northern) VA are snobs--like I said. But they will try to fight with you over a parking spot. I had a guy come up to my window, thinking he could intimidate me--ha joke was on him because he ended up running back to his car.
Among other reasons, you have to be a heartless CEO type person to live here and enjoy it.
What do you mean when you keep saying the people are "snobs". I've never really gotten this argument when people say this because there are "snobs" or snobby people EVERYWHERE, especially in areas where people typically make a lot of money. That's just part of the world we live in -- that's not something that's only exclusive to Northern Virginia.

Of course whether you think the job market is good or bad is subjective but from what I've read and just from my personal experience this area has one of the best job markets in the country but again, that's only my opinion.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
What do you mean when you keep saying the people are "snobs". I've never really gotten this argument when people say this because there are "snobs" or snobby people EVERYWHERE, especially in areas where people typically make a lot of money. That's just part of the world we live in -- that's not something that's only exclusive to Northern Virginia.

Of course whether you think the job market is good or bad is subjective but from what I've read and just from my personal experience this area has one of the best job markets in the country but again, that's only my opinion.
If you read any other posts by MidwestMadamn you would see they all are negative about this area. But, then I don't see her or her bf running back to Detroit where she's from.

NOVA is like everywhere, it is what you make it out to be and what you decide. It's expensive, horrible traffic, yet more jobs here than many places, incredible,often free, things to do. Good school systems, but not the only good ones in the country. Lots to do, but at the same time, if you don't like it, there's plenty of other areas of the country to check out.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM

69 posts, read 96,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
If you read any other posts by MidwestMadamn you would see they all are negative about this area. But, then I don't see her or her bf running back to Detroit where she's from.

NOVA is like everywhere, it is what you make it out to be and what you decide. It's expensive, horrible traffic, yet more jobs here than many places, incredible,often free, things to do. Good school systems, but not the only good ones in the country. Lots to do, but at the same time, if you don't like it, there's plenty of other areas of the country to check out.
Yes, I would go back to Detroit in a heartbeat (I"m gonna guess and say that you imagine the crappy pictures that the media posts and think that Detroit is just all bad. False.) Unfortunately my lease isn't up for another year (at least $500 to sublease), and I'm in the middle of an internship.
I'm aware of the other opportunities in the country but interning on Capitol Hill looks very nice on my resume.
NOVA is like nowhere I have ever been and I don't have to like it. Its my opinion. I've come across a lot of people in the same situation from all over the US who are stuck here because of their jobs and financial situations who can't afford to move yet. I posted my own opinion the same way that the OP posted his. Harmless. I just dislike the way that everyone here hypes up the DC area like it is so wonderful when I've never been to a place so cold and uncaring about others. People mention the education system here but goodness how can ANYONE raise a child here?
But thanks for taking the time to look at all my posts.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Maryland is trashy.
I'm not well-versed in IT salaries but $54K seems decent to me.

$1400 rent is the low side of average in NOVA as a whole.

I read an article in the Post a few months ago about "permanent" interns who work for the government or related companies to get experience and then have to take a second job to pay the bills. While your frustration is understandable, you should feel lucky not to be on that treadmill.

Traffic is a pain and people are rushed here. That's no excuse to be rude, but it's life in much of NOVA.

There are a lot of well-paid and/or well-connected people here which surely could inflate their sense of self-worth. Again, not an excuse, but...

RE: Maryland, Have you been to Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Rockville or Silver Spring? I'll concede that southern Prince Georges County doesn't necessarily give off a good first impression.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-07-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Yes, I would go back to Detroit in a heartbeat (I"m gonna guess and say that you imagine the crappy pictures that the media posts and think that Detroit is just all bad. False.) Unfortunately my lease isn't up for another year (at least $500 to sublease), and I'm in the middle of an internship.
I'm aware of the other opportunities in the country but interning on Capitol Hill looks very nice on my resume.
NOVA is like nowhere I have ever been and I don't have to like it. Its my opinion. I've come across a lot of people in the same situation from all over the US who are stuck here because of their jobs and financial situations who can't afford to move yet. I posted my own opinion the same way that the OP posted his. Harmless. I just dislike the way that everyone here hypes up the DC area like it is so wonderful when I've never been to a place so cold and uncaring about others. People mention the education system here but goodness how can ANYONE raise a child here?
But thanks for taking the time to look at all my posts.
Ah! Coming from metro Detroit, I can see how NOVA and the DC region in general would be a shock to the system in many ways. I'm aware that the core of Detroit proper is on the upswing, the suburbs are generally appealing - Royal Oak sounds appealing - and that the cost of living, especially housing, is dramatically lower. NOVA/DC is not too different from other metros in the Boston-Washington corridor when it comes to "attitude", albeit perhaps a relatively extreme case.

Skim through the various threads on schools and you'll see how many people are quite content to raise their children in what are considered some of the "best" school districts in the country. The common threads of parsing the differences between schools is another story.

NOVA/DC is not for everyone. Hopefully, you and your significant other will be able to soon make your mark here so you can take those credentials somewhere more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia