U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,366,887 times

Advertisements

As someone who's grown up in NOVA I can admit that like most kids in high school we all complained about how "boring" the area is and how there's never much to do (although we always found something to do on Friday or Saturday nights) but as I got older I kind of realized this is one of the greatest places in the nation to live. Going away to college was a complete culture shock for me, I was naive and sort of assumed everywhere was like NOVA or at least similar to it but its not.

Not only are job opportunities endless, it's incredibly diverse, has great school systems, low crime rates, it's hard to find anywhere in NOVA with a median income under $90,000. Not that money is everything but it just goes to show the amount of opportunity and how well educated people are here.

I just thought I'd make this thread since as of late there's been an incredibly huge amount of negative threads about the area. Ultimately, I would recommend this area for pretty much anyone especially someone who is career-driven or in the early stages of starting their career. Of course there are negatives, as there are with any area, the high cost of living and endless all-times-of-the-day traffic but I feel that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,270,607 times
I agree

Old 11-28-2013, 07:21 PM

40 posts, read 49,747 times
so it's great if you seek a white collar work camp environment?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:37 AM

269 posts, read 342,603 times
I can't tell if the above is a troll post but I'll bite. There are a lot of white collar jobs here sure, many with great upward mobility and opportunities. I will also add that someone has to cater to the white collar jobs in terms of blue collar support. My BIL is a contractor in Long Island and he visits us often here and is always contemplating moving his entire operation here because there is always so much building and construction opportunity. Whereas the island is a finite space.

He is a very blue collar type guy and does everything from bathroom renos to additions and commercial renovations. Anyway he is always telling me how much this area (FFX,PWC,Loundon) has to offer for blue collar services when he sees what kind of quotes we receive from (angies list only) companies while watching hundreds of houses, THs, and condo building go up.

Just food for thought.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
FWIW, we retired this past year and moved to a new town (which we love quite bit).

Still, there are days I really miss northern VA, and yesterday was one of those days. Thanksgiving was long and deadly boring. There was nothing to do, and I mean nothing. How spoiled we were in Nova, where there was always a dozen little ways to entertain ourselves.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,053,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
I can't tell if the above is a troll post but I'll bite. There are a lot of white collar jobs here sure, many with great upward mobility and opportunities. I will also add that someone has to cater to the white collar jobs in terms of blue collar support. My BIL is a contractor in Long Island and he visits us often here and is always contemplating moving his entire operation here because there is always so much building and construction opportunity. Whereas the island is a finite space.

He is a very blue collar type guy and does everything from bathroom renos to additions and commercial renovations. Anyway he is always telling me how much this area (FFX,PWC,Loundon) has to offer for blue collar services when he sees what kind of quotes we receive from (angies list only) companies while watching hundreds of houses, THs, and condo building go up.

Just food for thought.
He could do well here.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,588,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, we retired this past year and moved to a new town (which we love quite bit).

Still, there are days I really miss northern VA, and yesterday was one of those days. Thanksgiving was long and deadly boring. There was nothing to do, and I mean nothing. How spoiled we were in Nova, where there was always a dozen little ways to entertain ourselves.
Some of the great stuff we do when in HR:

We went to Buckroe Beach and got our feet wet and watched the millions of kids playing on the massive jungle gym

We also walked around NN new town square. The VB town center is nice too. I actually like hitting Patrick Henry and Pembroke Malls-not too busy. I'm addicted to The Christmas Mouse so I can't go in there anymore-and to make it worse a HUGE Yankee Candle freestanding shop is across the street!

The Mariners Museum is awesome and has a really beautiful walking paths along the Peninsula. I like walking around CNU and ODU

I popped into the NN Modern Museum and it looks great so gotta hit that and Chrysler Museum of Art. I hafta hit Ghent when I am there.

We should switch places! With the traffic, the crazy packed shoppers and the cold I haven't left my apt for days!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 PM

564 posts, read 825,438 times
I am a New York (Buffalo/Niagara Falls) refugee and relocated to the DC metro six years ago to avoid the pink slips that were running rampant in my industry.

Believe me, I do not miss New York the lack of jobs and high taxes! There is so, so, so much more going on here than where I was- jobs, cheaper taxes, shopping, parks, restaurants, entertainment and not to mention the museums! I have yet to see them all. Some day though....

Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 AM

617 posts, read 1,157,161 times
Born and raised in the area as well, and not sure I understand all the complaints relative to the advantages. And to the white collar work camp complainer, my father still lives in his one story + basement rancher in the Falls Church/McLean area. Houses are being torn down all around him and McMansions going up in their place. While my father is one of those white collar types, the guy who did the tear down/rebuild across the street? A plumber, owns his own business. The guy up the street who hosts the neighborhood Christmas party? Housebuilder/General contractor, runs his own business. There's plenty of room in NOVA, even some of the wealthiest areas, for blue collar folks.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,791,903 times
Default i feel sad

i left in 2010, after months of unemployment, thanks to the housing bust by irresponsible consumers.

i was exhausted from driving - i always felt extremely pressured, which i did not want because i really enjoy driving (yes, i was one of those unbearably 'slow' drivers (read: a few miles over the speed limit!)).

i made so much money, though - at one point, i was putting away a MINIMUM of $1000 per month. the pay was good relative to my frugal standard of living.

but my personal relationships were horrid. i tried social groups, but i never found a place in them. i suppose i never exuded "success", and it might sound like sour grapes, but i felt that was the reason the place never felt like home. i drove a saturn (loved that car). i didnt dress like the rest of y'all - a decent pair of jeans and clean athletic shoes were fine. i looked poor in a sea of silver german cars loafers and gold chains.

i just never made any friends. in my fifth and final year there (although i lived in the area for 4 years in the early 1990s, too), i volunteered at the cable station and ran cameras there, hoping to finally find a feeling of being 'home' by meeting hosts and guests of the shows. but soon after, i had to move away, anyway.

i feel like i never succeeded there - i dont mean career-wise, but personal fullfillment-wise! and reading these posts makes me long for the place, i suppose - wanting another chance.

i always loved DC, though, and had many fun times there, usually non-alcohol related. i volunteered there in a number of ways - one was at the National Building Museum. i thought that place was amazing. i was proud to bring visiting family and friends there. i just love that city, and yes i did feel "home" there (granted from just hanging out there all day, or for an evening)....i guess my being a "city person" is one problem i had acclimating to fairfax and arlington. of course had i lived in the District, i might have been dead by now!

well, that is my story....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia