Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
...the fridge...I'm not going to pretend it's filtered anymore, as we haven't replaced the filter in the 2+ years we've been in this house...
Might want to look into getting a "bypass" part for your fridge - it replaces the filter "until you can get a replacement" - in your case, forever. As the name suggests, it's just a screw-in tube that allows the water to flow without a filter.

I have read/heard that water filters that are NOT replaced - house/sink/fridge/whereever - can actually make the water LESS clean because of stuff in the filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Might want to look into getting a "bypass" part for your fridge - it replaces the filter "until you can get a replacement" - in your case, forever. As the name suggests, it's just a screw-in tube that allows the water to flow without a filter.

I have read/heard that water filters that are NOT replaced - house/sink/fridge/whereever - can actually make the water LESS clean because of stuff in the filter.
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely something to look into.

Really, this is the "if you give a mouse a cookie" situation. "If you're going to replace the filter, we really need a whole new fridge. But if we're going to replace the fridge, we might as well replace the oven/dishwasher so it all matches. And if we're going to redo all the appliances, I really want a whole new (not 1970's style) kitchen...so that filter's going to cost us $30,000"

Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 PM

74 posts, read 187,846 times
Tap. It is probably the same stuff you'd be buying from packaged water.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 PM

143 posts, read 385,434 times
Tap water is loaded with bacteria that won't hurt you. For us its the chlorine smell I can't stand, so we also use a Pur on the faucet.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM

373 posts, read 870,273 times
I drink tap. I think the tap in NOVA tastes good. A lot better than in some places in New Jersey, where it tastes awful or in parts of the world where it is sometimes brown.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM

114 posts, read 171,159 times
I drink the tap water in Virginia but frequently avoid it in DC. There's a quote from the movie "Burn After Reading" when Brad Pitts character accidentally drinks some Montgomery County municipal water and exclaims "Ughh, Maryland Swamp Water!"

Old 12-02-2013, 04:55 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
I only drink Brawndo, the thirst mutilator. Its got electrolytes.
Too funny!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextileWolf View Post
Costco brand (Kirkland) water USED to be labeled spring water. Sometime in the not so distant past, they changed that to just "water". It is now filtered tap water. I don't know when this happened, just that one day as I was loading the cart with Costco water I read the label and exclaimed "WAITAMINUTE! This is TAP water now!" so suggested to my wife (the consumer of said product) that we switch to the considerably more expensive Deerpark sold by Costco.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TextileWolf View Post
I just drink tap water too... and TextileWolf is right. In a lot of cases, the packaged stuff is just tap water from a municipal source.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 PM

47 posts, read 77,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I just drink tap water too... and TextileWolf is right. In a lot of cases, the packaged stuff is just tap water from a municipal source.
It may be coming from a municipal source, but the bottled water typically goes through extra filtration. Some of us don't like the water straight from the tap because we don't like the taste. When I lived in PA, I thought the tap water tasted just fine. But I'm not a fan of the taste here, so we filter via the fridge at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia