U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 AM

6,583 posts, read 10,888,223 times

Advertisements

The below is a small cut and paste from an article describing the Sunday backups on I 95 in PWC with holiday travelers trying to get home. There was a recent discussion on here regarding I 66 compared to I 95. I took the stance that 95 is worse the vast majority of times. A few said 66 was. All you have to do is look at WTOP traffic and 9 times out of 10, I 95 between Stafford and DC has more yellow and red lines indicating back ups. I advise anyone who will listen that I 95 just bites and to not move somewhere if you're going to have to ciommute on 95.

My daughters friend wanted to move her family from Manassas to Stafford as her husband works in Woodbridge. He rarely uses 95 so I told him to go out on 95 a couple different days before deciding. He took my advice and decided there was no way they were moving there after experimenting for two days.

I was a PWC officer for 30 years and we supported VSP on both interstates. We got way many more calls to assist on 95 with traffic issues then we ever did on 66. Yes, you can argue that 95 has more traffic. It does. But does it really matter when you are sitting out there in that mess? I wish I had the answers but I don't. You have AWS and telecommuting but not sure how much this will help in the grand scheme of things.

By the way. In case the cut and paste is deleted there was a 19 mile back up at one point thanks to accidents in PWC.

"At its height, the backup on I-95 extended from near the Telegraph Road interchange on the Beltway into Woodbridge -- nearly 19 miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,652,227 times
I blame the sprawl that occurred in Fburg and Woodbridge/RT 1 corridor in the 2000s. Tens of thousands of new homes induced by the mixing bowl improvement and HOV lanes which was supposed to solve all the problems... no just made it easier to live further and further out.

We'll see if the new HOT lanes solve anything (don't hold your breath)

Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,643,150 times
66 really isn't so bad once you go west of Route 50. But in between that and Falls Church it's horrible. 95 is almost never free, not even on weekends. Both are bad but I agree 95 is worst.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM

518 posts, read 784,417 times
I totally agree with you Bigfoot. I-95 is the pits. I use the HOV lanes and regularly see horrible to stopped traffic in the normal lanes. I refuse to use I-95 on the weekends.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:57 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times
Well, you know I disagree!!!

Actually, I think it's just a different type of backup.

You will get absolutely NO argument from me that I-95 bears the brunt of summer traffic and holiday traffic. It is THE travel route from North to South in this country. Obviously there is more traffic on those days. However, I still believe that as far as "rush hours" go and commuting, the areas from Gainesville to DC from M-F have eclipsed I-95 for traffic congestion. When we were talking on that other thread, that was what I was referring to. Rush hour traffic.

Obviously, my information/data is anectdotal based on my coworkers who live out 66 versus the ones on I-95. Most of the people using I-66 from Gainesville coming in have some horrific crawling each and every day. I even have two coworkers who take leave every Friday (leaving at 1:30 versus 2:30) because leaving at 2:30 takes them a very long time to get to Manassas on Fridays. That's definitely not an issue on I-95.

I do think I-95 used to be much worse than I66, but they have done so many improvements that I think the rush hour commutes are definitely more favorable at that time.

But, when it comes to holiday traffic, summer weekend getaways, yes, I95 is worse. There are just too many places to go off I95 and too many people trying to get there.

FWIW, my friend's son left yesterday afternoon to get to Radford and crawled on I66 and 81. A four hour trip became an eight hour trip.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,080,462 times
On Saturday, my wife and I made our way north from the Carolinas on I-95 with the hopeful intent of avoiding most returning holiday traffic until at least Fredericksburg. Well, the "fun" began just north of Richmond and the last 100 miles of journey took about three hours. Out of the four backups we encountered, perhaps two were accident-related while the others were just a rush hour-like crawl.

I'm not on 66 very often but I can see how it would rival 95 during weekday rush hour.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,766,585 times
I think 95 is much worse because 66 is almost always OK unless it's rush hour. 95 is NEVER guaranteed to be OK. It can be 2am on a Tuesday and you can get stuck in traffic on 95.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:47 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I think 95 is much worse because 66 is almost always OK unless it's rush hour. 95 is NEVER guaranteed to be OK. It can be 2am on a Tuesday and you can get stuck in traffic on 95.
And you see, I feel that way about I66. I have made many trips out to Fair Oaks Mall at various times and, inevitably, I get stuck in some backup. It could be 10AM on a Saturday morning, 2PM on a Sunday afternoon. The times I've been on I66 during the weekday at around lunchtime, it's been really stop and go (inside the beltway).

But again, I will agree that I95 takes the cake when it comes to summer/holiday traffic. Nothing else can really compare. Referencing back to the other thread, I was just comparing rush hours and I think 66 has gotten really nasty with no way to even improve it. The sprawl out past Manassas has not helped anything at all.

This is all just my opinion and my own perceptions on my experience with both roads as well as reports from my coworkers (yeah, we spend too much time discussing our rides to and from work!!). I actually don't stake any claim to which one is REALLY worse.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,643,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
66 gets backed up all the time even outside of rush hour. I can't tell you the number of times I was in a back up on Saturday going on 66. With that said it's worse on 95 and this is someone who has lived near both.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM

371 posts, read 732,348 times
They both stink. However, one big difference is if there is an accident on I-95, you are pretty much out of options, besides Rte 1, which comes to a standstill. If you live out in Manassas or points west, there are lots of alternate routes that may take an extra 10 or 20 minutes, but not the hours it would take for an I-95 accident. For example, you can take the Little River Turnpike, Rte 50, Braddock Rd, Fairfax County Parkway, or can even go south and take the prince william county parkway (depending on where you are coming from).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia