U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,914,462 times

Advertisements

Lack of English in NOVA getting you down? Travel to Miami, spend a week. Although Miami is just as equally part of the United States as NOVA, there is no rational will to assert English speaking societal expectations. Not only is there an implicit resistance to becoming English proficient, the dominant social group in Miami (Cuban Americans) proffer an underlying expectation that people learn to speak Spanish.

Hispanics Account for More than Half of Nation

Pay special attention to this line:

"Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 91.7% of the nation’s growth over the decade; non-Hispanic whites accounted for the remaining 8.3%."

Even accounting for growth in the black population (which is only presumably English speaking when accounting for the foreign born), I would think the 19th-early 20th century legacy of European immigrants assimilating into Anglo American norms is done and has been done for decades. I think it is far more likely that America's cultural dichotomy will switch from being historically racial (Black and White) to one more like Canada's (English speaking and non-English speaking).

English as the language of the law and courts will maintain Anglo power long after whites cease to be the population majority but any hopes for an English speaking society are now only found in moribund areas of the United States with European descent substrates. And even this isn't exclusive as any growth occurring in rural heartland over the past 20 years (if there has been growth - hence moribund) has been due to the Hispanic migrant population described in the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
It's clear some people aren't going to be happy here, compared to what they consider home, for a variety of reasons (traffic, COL, density, demographics, English ability of some of the population).

When it comes to issues like traffic, posters here typically are asking for information (or giving it). What's the best route from x to y? When to avoid I-95? Updates on Metrorail construction.

Cost of living issues, beyond the scattered posts of "Oh my God! Housing is insanely high!" likewise tend to have posts in search of answers, like "for this money, where can I get a good home with these amenities?"

But when it comes to issues involving the population, some people aren't looking for solutions, they just want to gripe. About immigrants. About sanctuary cities. About poor English. About people speaking other languages in their earshot. About racial issues. These are things they probably didn't encounter much in their former homes.

But this area generally is very good about dealing with and accepting diversity in the population, so many people aren't going to be sympathetic to posts that are just complaints, instead of questions looking for answers.

In the case of inadequate customer service, due to language challenges or not, the answer is to speak to management, write corporate headquarters, or similar. I don't think this is something the forum denizens can solve with their responses.
So if this area was not accepting of diversity, created places where only people with a certain income could live, you wouldn't have an issue. I think this is more about the fact for some people that this is not your issue, so you don't think it's worth a battle. I respect the fact that some may not agree but just because you live in a place doesn't mean you think it's perfect and that you shouldn't seek some sort of change. This is a forum and I just decided to share my opinion. I don't expect anything to change from me putting it on here, but I wanted to see if other at least shared my sentiments. Isn't that the point of a forum?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Lack of English in NOVA getting you down? Travel to Miami, spend a week. Although Miami is just as equally part of the United States as NOVA, there is no rational will to assert English speaking societal expectations. Not only is there an implicit resistance to becoming English proficient, the dominant social group in Miami (Cuban Americans) proffer an underlying expectation that people learn to speak Spanish.
I've heard this elsewhere too. Unlike Mexican Americans in the Southwest--many of whom (especially the later generations) speak marginal Spanish or none at all--the Cubans (who as a group are quite affluent) seem to revel in their refusal to speak English, even when addressed in English. I've heard of people asking airport personnel in English which gate their flight is at and being answered in Spanish.

In fact, I heard they were trying to get road signs in Spanish too--but then the state had a momentary burst of common sense and put its foot down.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,393,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
There isn't a problem with foreign born residents in NOVA, there is a problem with the lowest common denominator being used as a point of reference on this forum.

This all boils down to the vocal portions of this forum repeating their points over and over again. Both sides engaged in an Ahab-like quest to get the other side to see their point. It isnít the forum majority, it is the vocal minority engaging in a shouting match. Both sides of this conversation have valid points but are too high up on their soapboxes to see the points of the others. I also feel that the general feeling between the posters involved tends to lead to the contentious nature of this conversation.
[LEFT][/LEFT]
I saw all of his points and I understood them. I also told him I had nothing against immigrants or foreign people, which I don't.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
There isn't a problem with foreign born residents in NOVA, there is a problem with the lowest common denominator being used as a point of reference on this forum.

This all boils down to the vocal portions of this forum repeating their points over and over again. Both sides engaged in an Ahab-like quest to get the other side to see their point. It isnít the forum majority, it is the vocal minority engaging in a shouting match. Both sides of this conversation have valid points but are too high up on their soapboxes to see the points of the others. I also feel that the general feeling between the posters involved tends to lead to the contentious nature of this conversation.
[LEFT][/LEFT]
I am not sure what you are talking about. It seemed as though there was only one person who fits your description and was insulting people for disagreeing. I think even people who disagreed with my views saw it clear as day what was causing the tension. I think there were some important points that I don't completely understand from my own experience, like how hard it is to learn English for example. That perspective is important but in my view it doesn't change what I have suggested. The two aren't related.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post

Hispanics Account for More than Half of Nation

Pay special attention to this line:

"Racial and ethnic minorities accounted for 91.7% of the nationís growth over the decade; non-Hispanic whites accounted for the remaining 8.3%."

Even accounting for growth in the black population (which is only presumably English speaking when accounting for the foreign born), I would think the 19th-early 20th century legacy of European immigrants assimilating into Anglo American norms is done and has been done for decades. I think it is far more likely that America's cultural dichotomy will switch from being historically racial (Black and White) to one more like Canada's (English speaking and non-English speaking).

English as the language of the law and courts will maintain Anglo power long after whites cease to be the population majority but any hopes for an English speaking society are now only found in moribund areas of the United States with European descent substrates. And even this isn't exclusive as any growth occurring in rural heartland over the past 20 years (if there has been growth - hence moribund) has been due to the Hispanic migrant population described in the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I've heard this elsewhere too. Unlike Mexican Americans in the Southwest--many of whom (especially the later generations) speak marginal Spanish or none at all--the Cubans (who as a group are quite affluent) seem to revel in their refusal to speak English, even when addressed in English. I've heard of people asking airport personnel in English which gate their flight is at and being answered in Spanish.

In fact, I heard they were trying to get road signs in Spanish too--but then the state had a momentary burst of common sense and put its foot down.
Interesting points here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia