Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone here in NoVA (particularly Fairfax County) came from the Triangle area of North Carolina? I would love to hear your opinion on how you think the schools in Fairfax County compare to those from where you came.

We did the reverse (Fairfax to Chapel Hill) and I am feeling that the schools are a bit behind here and am particularly unhappy with my daughter's middle school. But I'm just one person and am curious if any others would care to share their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I used to live in Tarboro and I would agree that the schools out there are probably behind the schools here.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Hmmm, although I did live in the Triangle for a bit, it was before I was married, so I didn't give much thought to the school situation. Were all the school systems down there even comparable to each other? (Orange, Durham, Wake)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Hmmm, although I did live in the Triangle for a bit, it was before I was married, so I didn't give much thought to the school situation. Were all the school systems down there even comparable to each other? (Orange, Durham, Wake)
No, they're not quite comparable to each other, but I have a good feel for how they rank. Chapel Hill is supposed to be one of the better ones. I felt my children were challenged more in Fairfax County, though. It seems the overall expectations here in NC are lower. Was wondering if others felt the same way, in general.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
I went to school K-6 between schools in Wake, Durham, and Orange counties. I thought the schools were pretty good and challenging. I know my middle school had a math, science and technology program to challenge the smartest kids in the school. However, it didn't have the IB Middle Years Program like my middle school in Manassas did. I would say Wake County probably has the best schools, followed by Chapel Hill, followed by Durham County.

Most people in this area don't appreciate that we have some of the best school districts, if not the best in the country. I think the Triangle are has great schools, but very few school districts are as good as the ones in NOVA. Although Northern Virginia schools districts now charge like $150 for each IB test you take because of the financial crisis, whereas mine were free in 2008-2009.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:53 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
From my understanding, state vs state, Virginia is higher ranked than North Carolina when talking nationally. I personally think that since you were living in Vienna, you got used to a pretty elite school system. As the NoVA regulars know, I am a product of one of Virginia's better school systems; York County Public Schools which is probably the best system in non-NoVA Virginia. I think that would even be a step down from most of Fairfax County Public Schools. I actually think Wake County is one of the best large school systems in the US itself.

My point, there are very few school systems in the US that would measure up what you were used to. I don't think your dilemma is a reflection on Chapel Hill in particular.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,860 times
Interesting. We used to live in Reston, but moved to Chapel Hill (Southern Village) specifically for the schools. As it turns out, I got promoted/transferred out here to Phoenix before our boys even attended a day at Mary Scroggs!

Spent a year out here in Phoenix, and then moved back to Nova (Lowes Island) and were very happy with Lowes Island Elementary and Shafferman's staff there.

I wish I could offer more, but unfortunately all my experience/perspective on CHCCS is based on independent research and anecdotal evidence from neighbors during the 2 years we lived in SV--all of which suggested that the CH schools *FAR* exceeded any public schools (Fairfax, Montgomery, Arlington, etc., but not magnet or charter) in the DC metro.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Interesting. We used to live in Reston, but moved to Chapel Hill (Southern Village) specifically for the schools. As it turns out, I got promoted/transferred out here to Phoenix before our boys even attended a day at Mary Scroggs!

Spent a year out here in Phoenix, and then moved back to Nova (Lowes Island) and were very happy with Lowes Island Elementary and Shafferman's staff there.

I wish I could offer more, but unfortunately all my experience/perspective on CHCCS is based on independent research and anecdotal evidence from neighbors during the 2 years we lived in SV--all of which suggested that the CH schools *FAR* exceeded any public schools (Fairfax, Montgomery, Arlington, etc., but not magnet or charter) in the DC metro.
Hi, I think we conversed once before! I live in SV as well. We are happy with the elementary - smaller class size, assistants in all the classrooms, but we are unhappy with the middle school so far. Fairfax, in my mind, seems to challenge their kids more, overall. We were in Vienna so the schools were pretty solid.

Here it seems there is a greater range of academic levels once you get out of elementary school and unless you are in the gifted program, the challenge isn't all that great in general ed. Of course, common core adds a whole other wrinkle to the picture that wasn't there before. I don't think Virginia has adopted that yet. Ugh, it's so hard to compare since we haven't done middle school in FCPS. I'm not thrilled with FCPS class size but I always felt my kids were challenged.

Thanks for your input!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
I lived in Apex (western edge of Raleigh behind Cary) for many years. As my screen name suggests, I'm a NC native in general (Wilmington area). My office was in Meadowmont Village in CH for years (miss my beautiful 751 commutes). Our son was too young at the time, but when we moved away at the end of 08', I remember the biggest issue was all of the shuffling around of kids in the schools. Busing kids out from the city core and busing kids into the city core from the burbs to try and balance things out. It was a huge mess and really upset a lot of folks.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:35 AM

160 posts, read 279,421 times
I lived in Raleigh for 9 years, but that was pre-kids. However, I do remember the school districts being reshuffled quite often because of extreme growth, and I think there used to be a mandate in Wake County that no school could have more than 25-30% FARMS which resulted in lots of bussing. I do remember that Chapel Hill system was very highly regarded, but I don't know anyone that was in that system.

I think we are probably very spoiled in this area with a generally excellent school system, even compared to the best of other states, FFX county is right there on top.

Do you think it is an issue with your particular middle school and student? There are many private and parochial schools around, but I don't know how that fits into your budget. I think Durham Academy and Cary Academy are highly regarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia