U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,049,887 times

Advertisements

Why does Fairfax co school give half day off on Monday? I was walking around the mall the other day on a monday and was hoping to avoid some annoying high schoolers.
The school year already allocates for snow days / holidays, etc. So what gives.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 AM

5,088 posts, read 5,366,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Why does Fairfax co school give half day off on Monday? I was walking around the mall the other day on a monday and was hoping to avoid some annoying high schoolers.
The school year already allocates for snow days / holidays, etc. So what gives.?
Which Monday are you talking about?

Looks like November 4th & 5th were student holidays. November 1st was the end of the marking period, so students were probably given a holiday on the following Monday & Tuesday so that teachers could work on report cards.

If it's very bothersome to you, maybe check this out before going to the mall:

http://www.fcps.edu/about/13-14cal.shtml

Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,564,884 times
Elementary schools have early release Mondays to allow the teachers their planning time for the week, since they don't have prep periods like middle/high school has.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 AM

519 posts, read 699,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Elementary schools have early release Mondays to allow the teachers their planning time for the week, since they don't have prep periods like middle/high school has.

Right, it's only elementary kids that get off early on Mondays. Not middle or high school. Most of the high schools in Fairfax County to get out pretty early (2:30ish) because they start early but it's not a Monday thing.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:18 AM

141 posts, read 227,658 times
If this thread were about people other than high schoolers, it would be locked and deleted.

What's wrong with high schoolers and why you want to group them all together as annoying?

Maybe move somewhere with less or no high schoolers and you won't be bothered.

Or should they put up signs that say "NO High Schoolers" or "Non-High Schoolers ONLY"

What a stupid post this is....

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 AM

7,937 posts, read 9,664,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben 'n Jen View Post
What's wrong with high schoolers and why you want to group them all together as annoying?
The OP mentioned avoiding "some annoying high schoolers". I don't see where he grouped them all together.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,759,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
But what a joke - most of the schools in my area used them completely for useless staff meetings and other other time-wasters mandated by the principal. Do any elementary teachers in the co actually get to use this for planning?

I don't really understand the HS schedules, but my babysitters from Ffx schools have always had odd times off - some kind of flexible scheduling, but I'm not sure how it works.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,564,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
But what a joke - most of the schools in my area used them completely for useless staff meetings and other other time-wasters mandated by the principal. Do any elementary teachers in the co actually get to use this for planning?
No different from me at middle school. I supposedly have 10 hours a week of planning + lunch breaks, but between lunch duty, meetings, mandatory remediation time, etc, I have about 2 hours a week of "free time" to get copies made, grading accomplished, planning done, and lunch consumed. It's inevitable that I do work at home.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:14 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,049,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
Right, it's only elementary kids that get off early on Mondays. Not middle or high school. Most of the high schools in Fairfax County to get out pretty early (2:30ish) because they start early but it's not a Monday thing.

No, this was before 2:30 . I believe it was early November like another poster said and they had a day off or something.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,660,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

I'd say we occasionally get to use Monday afternoons for teacher directed planning. The majority are taken up by staff meetings, committee meetings, "Designated Monday" inservices, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia