Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,360 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a local student and I recently got my dream internship in DC - however, it is unpaid. I'm excited but at the same time, I am stressing out a bit since I'm starting in about 2 weeks and I haven't figured out my transportation costs/plans. (Keep in mind that I am a poor college student ) My internship hours are from 9 am - 5:30 (sometimes overtime).

My questions are:

1) How reliable are the number of cars that are willing to pick up slugs from the locations I've mentioned in the post title (From Fredericksburg to Rosslyn in the morning & From Rosslyn to Fredericksburg in the evening)?

2) or do you think the VRE is a better option?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
In addition to VRE, you can catch a bus to D.C. at the commuter lot on 17. Train or bus would be more reliable than slugging. Slugging back to Fredericksburg in the evening wouldn't be a sure thing since there are few drivers going all that way. Almost everyone is going to Woodbridge.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
Default commuter bus from route 17 commuter parking lot to dc

All,
I just bought a home on route 17, about 0.4 miles from the commuter parking lot on 633 warrenton rd. I work in DC on 14 and k. Martz have several buses from the commuter lot to 15 and k. I would like to know the reliability of these buses. According to martz website, the bus that leaves at 5:55am arrives at 14 and k at 7:20. Is that the case? How crowded are the buses? Do you have to stand on the bus sometimes?

How about slugging in the morning? I was considering that as an option. Slug in the morning and use commuter bus is in the afternoon.

Anyone with experience I'm using the martz bus. Please help.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
You may want to post in the "e-mail ring" for Fredericksburg to Rosslyn slug line from the slug lines website.

Fredericksburg or Route 17 Slug Line

Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,400 times
Train is most reliable and probably quickest. Downside is it would be very expensive because you would need to switch to Metro at Crystal City (like $340 a month if you did it every day versus $290 for Martz).

Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
africa2222- I take a commuter bus that stops in Woodbridge. The commuter buses use the HOV lane and are reliable 90 percent of the time. But for example, one night last week there was an overturned crane that blocked the southbound HOV lane in the afternoon and caused a massive delay. It took me twice as long to get home that night. You just have to accept that every once in a while there will be an accident or some other problem blocking the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia