U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM

254 posts, read 362,372 times

Advertisements

I remember growing up here and it was rare to see a Caterpillar or an orange cone in places outside of downtown DC. However, since moving back, I see nothing but construction. In fact, I am on my third location since 2006 and in all 3 places, there has been insane construction around my residence.

Location 1: Bridge (yes BRIDGE!)
Location 2: New Lane (going from 1 lane to 2 lanes)
Location 3: Tearing down trees to make a street going to nowhere!

While you think my complaints are whining, I just had to order 4 new rims on my car because my car's tires/rims have been all but destroyed. On top of that, my commute which was at one time ~7 minutes to work, is now nearly 10 minutes.

Anyone else have construction problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM

244 posts, read 481,205 times
If you are destroying your car's rims, you need to slow down.

If the damage is due to improperly prepared construction road surface, you can file a claim against the construction company or the locality.

DC area is expanding with additional people moving in. There was was a boom in the 60's in terms of land development in the area, and then it was mostly very slow until the early 2000s, when it picked up again and has not let off since.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,426,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
On top of that, my commute which was at one time ~7 minutes to work, is now nearly 10 minutes.
Well, I think you'll live if you have do deal with an extra 3 minutes each way to work - sometimes I have to deal with an extra 3 minutes just to get on a Metro escalator . Most people would love to have a commute like yours.

I do feel you pain on the constant construction, but that is pretty much par for the course around large, growing cities. As soon as they finish one project, it's on to another. Reminds me of the saying in Chicago that they have 2 seasons - winter and construction. Here, the weather is mild enough that the construction gets to continue just about all year long.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM

254 posts, read 362,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaOne View Post
If you are destroying your car's rims, you need to slow down.

If the damage is due to improperly prepared construction road surface, you can file a claim against the construction company or the locality.

DC area is expanding with additional people moving in. There was was a boom in the 60's in terms of land development in the area, and then it was mostly very slow until the early 2000s, when it picked up again and has not let off since.
Well I can only go so slow over huge gaps and holes in the ground. For example, they were putting in piping or something that went horizontal across the road. There was dirt but there was still a 2-3 ft gap in the road where the road dipped hard in the ground and then back up to where the street started again. They eventually decided to fill that dirt with cement. However, some Einstein decided to not account for shrinkage or flattening by 3000 lbs machines aka cars which left that same gap below the road, just as wide, and even worse for cars.

I'm not the only one. I have seen many cars in my residence parking lot with flattened tires. I thought about going over one night and kicking all the orange cones into the forest but that may be illegal.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,390,516 times
There certainly is never ending road construction around here, that is for sure! I will say that a ten minute commute is awesome! I think my brother has an almost 2 hour commute each way. Mine was an hour each way when I was working.

My bf has something around a ten minute commute and it is the reason he doesn't want to move.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM

2,206 posts, read 1,830,914 times
Airjay75 is spot on the money with his Chicago comment! You want to talk about your wheels being damaged? Try Chicago in the spring time. Anything short of an SUV, and you'll be calling the Wheel Doctor by June, guaranteed. Entire bridges rise up 2 inches against the road there due to swelling of the concrete against concrete. Chunks of concrete the size of footballs literally explode up from the road due to the pressure. I once saw a lady in a brand spankin' new Volvo convertible hit one, and watched her coast over to the side of the road as her oil pan sat in the middle of the street. The roads here in DC don't even come close to being 1/50th as bad as Chicago.

We live in a town who's primary employer has over 318,000,000 customers and growing each and every day. We live in a town that for real estate investment purposes is only second in the nation to Manhattan for stability. We live in a town that nearly every living human on the face of the planet knows about. You're complaining about a 10 minute commute and road work?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,644,120 times
No sympathy for someone complaining about a 10 minute commute, especially in this area. I've had my car for 6 years with nice alloy rims, and they get filthy but when I clean them off they look pretty much good as new. And I drive around construction alot too. No clue how it's destroying your rims.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM

672 posts, read 1,012,062 times
OP, so your commute to work has gone from 7 minutes to 10 minutes and your complaining that is a joke. People in this area travel on the average over an hour commute each way so I have no sympathy for you at all.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM

574 posts, read 608,547 times
I understand that constant construction can be frustrating, but you're not going to get too many people on here who will sympathize with you because your commute is now 10 whole minutes instead of 7. I think an extra 3 minutes in anyone's commute is basically nothing. Even in cities with way less traffic and construction than the DC area, it could easily take an 3 extra minutes for someone to get to work on any given day just due to normal traffic, hitting all red lights, etc.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,345,049 times
They've been doing construction non-stop in PWC and it's frustrating because it makes it more congested than it already is. Stafford has a lot of construction going on as well but thankfully they're doing it in neighborhoods/side streets opposed to busy streets.

As for your commute, I don't feel much sympathy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia