U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,299,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Well, OK, but anecdotally, areas that start to be mentioned frequently on various "best places to live" lists do see a lot of new interest.
I don't question the value of good advertsing. Wild. Wonderful. West Virginia. See? You're thinking of moving there already! I just don't think it's very realistic to explain the actual real estate numbers in Vienna (or anywhere else) on a theory of mass reaction to a two-and-a-half-year old magazine story. If that article is a driver at all, it's way, way down the list. Schools, Metro-access, proximity to everything, the fact that it's actually a town...those sorts of things play a significant role. Somebody's bit of now long-ago number crunching, not so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 AM

280 posts, read 968,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
20165 is more like 24 years old. You can get a pretty good townhome there for 200K. There is a repo listed at 341K that has been sitting for a long time. Nice area, though. A good place to drive a bargain.

You must be referring to Countryside. They didn't start building Cascades until 1993. I think the two communities are pretty distinct.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 AM

192 posts, read 193,176 times
Yes, I was. But, it is still 20165.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,438,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I don't question the value of good advertsing. Wild. Wonderful. West Virginia. See? You're thinking of moving there already! I just don't think it's very realistic to explain the actual real estate numbers in Vienna (or anywhere else) on a theory of mass reaction to a two-and-a-half-year old magazine story. If that article is a driver at all, it's way, way down the list. Schools, Metro-access, proximity to everything, the fact that it's actually a town...those sorts of things play a significant role. Somebody's bit of now long-ago number crunching, not so much...
Gotcha, I can agree. It's quite circular though - I'm sure it ends up high on a list because of schools, metro access, proximity, etc. If someone hears of [Vienna] and then discovers it has no metro access, poor schools, etc., then the advertisement is irrelevant.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,763,574 times
Loudoun County was cited on the NBC Nightly News last night as a prime example of the drop in real estate prices. I think they must have been talking about Landsdowne--but it makes you wonder. We haven't had a drop like that in my immediate neighborhood, but I don't know how the rest of Loudoun is doing. I don;t see a lot of foreclosure signs, though. That's a good thing.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don;t see a lot of foreclosure signs
Can you imagine your neighbors seeing one of these in your yard? I would just die ...

Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,850,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Can you imagine your neighbors seeing one of these in your yard? I would just die ...

I've never seen a foreclosure sign...it's totally unnecessary and could be embarassing to the former owner.

I love to surf the MLS..here's how you tell a foreclosure or pre-foreclosure. It will say "Bring all offers, subject to 3rd party approval", or something to that effect.....the "3rd party" is the lender.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've never seen a foreclosure sign...it's totally unnecessary and could be embarassing to the former owner.

I love to surf the MLS..here's how you tell a foreclosure or pre-foreclosure. It will say "Bring all offers, subject to 3rd party approval", or something to that effect.....the "3rd party" is the lender.
Ahh, good tip, now I get it. I walked through one foreclosure - it was in a nice neighborhood, but the home had been completely trashed. The whole place reeked of cigarette smoke; the walls had holes, the carpet disgusting. Even if I could have salvaged the house without tearing it down, I couldn't have ever lived there. Bad karma maybe? If I hadn't seen it for myself I would have said "oh, cosmetic stuff, no problem" but it was terrible.

PS - I have seen at least one foreclosure sign - it said "recently foreclosed" - but only one and not on this house above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or