Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 08:57 PM

53 posts, read 171,905 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone know of an old-school, old fashioned, conservative type of dentist in Loudoun? The dentist I finally found whom I liked just retired (boo hoo), and now I need a new dentist. I don't like dentists who try to make me get huge numbers of x-rays and fancy new (unproven) treatments. I am tired of arguing with them about why I don't want a Panorex every five years (because of a recent study showing possible increased brain tumors). I also don't want a very aggressive dentist (like one I went to in Loudoun who wanted to give me 7 or 8 crowns!).

Does anyone know of a good, conservative dentist? Any help is very, very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
I love my dentists - I see Dr. Hamid Avin and Dr. Maryam Avin (they are husband and wife). Their office is between Party City and Shoppers on Route 7 in Sterling (just west of Dranesville Rd.). I would say they are fairly conservative. I started seeing them when an old amalgam filling cracked my tooth open - I needed a crown and root canal. Dr. Avin didn't push me, but suggested that since this was the second one of my old fillings to do this, I might consider replacing the rest of them with composite fillings. I did my own research and decided to go ahead, and Dr. Avin worked with me to make a plan that took into account my insurance's limits and spread the work over two calendar years. Now that I've been problem-free for over six years, I see them twice a year for check-ups and cleaning, with one x-ray per year. They have a small, fairly simple office. The front office staff, dental techs, and the dentists themselves are very nice. Sterling Dentist | Avin Family Dentistry | Cosmetic Dental Care Sterling VA 20164

Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 PM

110 posts, read 269,017 times
Dr. Groy in Leesburg

Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
I feel your pain. I'm looking for a new dentist myself, for the same reasons.

They must make some serious coin on those panoramic x-rays. I told them NO the other day and they sent three different people in to try to talk me into it. They even threw in some scare tactics...."we had to refer a patient to the oncologist the other day"....

I think my guy is eyeing retirement. I've been going to him for 30+ years, but in the last few years it's been upsell, upsell, upsell. Teeth whitening, fluoride treatments, etc, etc.

The funniest part is every year they send me a letter saying I have $XXX.XX in unused dental insurance. Yeah, like I'm going to go get a root canal or something to use up my annual insurance allotment! LOL

Old 12-12-2013, 01:32 PM

116 posts, read 427,993 times
I have been going to Dr. Gerald in Vienna for probably 15 years now. He is great and doesn't sell you unnecessary treatments.

Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia