U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM

617 posts, read 1,152,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Middleburg has a lot of older, quieter money. That's while you'll see someone in jeans, muck boots and an old truck bopping around town. Potomac, even more than Great Falls, has a lot of flashy, new and foreign money. McLean has become quite a mix of the two.
You're killing my buzz here with your facts. I was having a good time imagining people in tuxedos and fur coats engaged in full-contact wine pairing, the "nose inclining" contest when confronted with the downtrodden, most handbag ready dog, competition for the most state dinner invitations, and the lightning round to see who can burn the most $100 bills in one minute lighting cigars. I feel like I'm coming up with a new sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,338,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
You're killing my buzz here with your facts. I was having a good time imagining people in tuxedos and fur coats engaged in full-contact wine pairing, the "nose inclining" contest when confronted with the downtrodden, most handbag ready dog, competition for the most state dinner invitations, and the lightning round to see who can burn the most $100 bills in one minute lighting cigars. I feel like I'm coming up with a new sport.
LOL -- yes, it would be amusing but I think you have to go to Potomac for that kind of tackiness.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM

33 posts, read 37,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I see the OP hasn't come back. Probably didn't like our responses or get the responses he/she was hoping for.
No, I'm just not on the internet 24/7.

Let me put it this way, my first vist to Middleburg, I was treated horribly by several shopkeepers. I actually had the lip snarled at me when I walked in the shop. I said 'good morning' to the person working in the shop, she snarled her lip, and her eyes rolled and she laughed and walked away. I know I'm not an attractive person, but that was uncalled for. She would not assist me any further. I looked around but tried another store. I asked for assistance with finding something, the person in the store said 'we don't carry YOUR size'. I'm not morbidly obese, just a bit overweight. Tried a 3rd store, found something I wanted to purchase for someone else as a gift. Waited in line patiently to buy the item. The lady ringing up the counter allowed local from behind me to check out before me, then proceeded to have a conversation with the person, then left the counter without ringing me up or at least telling me she would be back or whatnot.

Later, I decided to sit down for a meal at one of the local restaurants. It took over 45 minutes for my meal to come out and it was stone cold. I asked for it to be at least reheated, it was, but barely. Upon leaving, two fellows outside who were smoking looked at me, laughed, and actually said to me 'go back to where you belong, you don't belong here and we don't want you here'.

I am an extremely shy person. I'm not loud or obnoxious, I have a tendency to keep to myself.

Despite the incredibly rude first visit to Middleburg, I heard from some co-workers that it's really not like that. I decided to try it again. I did, at night and had a wonderful dinner at Julians. Another weekend, I had a great visit at the Fun Shop, Market Salamander, and that butcher shop (wonderful ice cream and the sandwich area upstairs has phenomenal sandwiches. Over time, despite that first visit, I really do like the area and all the preserved land.

My co-workers have told me it's affordable - and I could afford it to. I only made the comment about this person's salary because if they can afford to live in Middleburg, so can I. I'm looking for a place with land, at least an acre or more, and Aldie and Middleburg are close enough to the metro DC area that I can afford land with a house and the drive isn't that bad. I want to live in an area where there is a town close by, but not a strip mall or whatever that monstrocity that is being built around Loudoun Cty Parkway and Evergreen Mill.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:37 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,645,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsilas77 View Post
Upon leaving, two fellows outside who were smoking looked at me, laughed, and actually said to me 'go back to where you belong, you don't belong here and we don't want you here'.
I find this 100% IMPOSSIBLE to believe unless you were wearing some sort of t-shirt that was racist, crude, or said "I hate horses".

Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I find this 100% IMPOSSIBLE to believe unless you were wearing some sort of t-shirt that was racist, crude, or said "I hate horses".
Do people act like this outside of teen movies?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I was dressed in what I normally wear to work - business casual. They made mention of my cold meal too, so I just assumed they worked in the kitchen and were having a break out back.

spencgr - if you read any of the reviews in TripAdvisor, many other customers to this one Middleburg restaurant gave it low reviews with pretty much the same issues I had (minus the guys outside). Are that many people so wrong about it?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsilas77 View Post

spencgr - if you read any of the reviews in TripAdvisor, many other customers to this one Middleburg restaurant gave it low reviews with pretty much the same issues I had (minus the guys outside). Are that many people so wrong about it?
I've never laid claim that all of the restaurants in Middleburg were good. Just this past Saturday, I waiting 15 minutes before a waitress came over; she forgot to bring the appetizer and still charged me for it; and asked me (while I was mid-bite in my sandwich) if I wanted the check. It seems your issue was delayed, cold food. it happens a lot in restaurants all over the world.

Horribly poor service at this restaurant? YES

Reason to call a whole town "snotty"? NO

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Do people act like this outside of teen movies?
One would think not, but within the last year, I saw someone wearing a t-shirt that said "Party With Sluts", and another person wearing a hat with the Budweiser logo, but it said "Buttweiser". Both of these people were in Middleburg. Honestly,deep down I wanted to tell them to go away and not come back, but I didn't say anything. Very possibly I did roll my eyes in a "snotty" fashion, although I'm sure I would have rolled my eyes at whatever location I saw these fine gentlemen.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I've never laid claim that all of the restaurants in Middleburg were good. Just this past Saturday, I waiting 15 minutes before a waitress came over; she forgot to bring the appetizer and still charged me for it; and asked me (while I was mid-bite in my sandwich) if I wanted the check. It seems your issue was delayed, cold food. it happens a lot in restaurants all over the world.

Horribly poor service at this restaurant? YES

Reason to call a whole town "snotty"? NO
Yes, the but word 'snotty' is the impression Middleburg gives to the rest of Northern VA. I've heard that word used for Middleburg on a consistent basis (except by those that live there or nearby).

I am happy to see Middleburg residents so passionate about their town and fight for it's reputation, that's a very good thing. However, I think the residents should be aware that what they may perceive as Middleburg residents being themselves, it comes across negatively to a lot of folks who don't understand what Hunt and Horse Country is all about. What someone may shrug off as normal, others perceive as brash, rude, or spiteful for those that are not a part of that community.

I have a long commute home, I'll continue this conversation a bit later!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:58 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,809,960 times
Places I have visited repeatedly in Middleburg:

Teddy's Pizza
Journeyman Saddlery
The Fun Shop
Lou-Lou
Safeway
UpperCrust
French Hound
WylieWag
Tack Exchange
The Tack Box
Southern States
Red Horse

The only place I raised an eyebrow at how I was treated was at The Tack Box. An older lady who worked there was pretty condescending about some inquiries we made about a saddle. But I think she would have been a b*tch wherever we encountered her--I don't think I it had anything to do with Middleburg. I have been treated brusquely a few times by the woman who works at Journeyman, but it wasn't because I'm not landed gentry--some older folks are just curmudgeonly.

And I question people referring to Middleburg as snotty. Have they spent enough time there? Some people just assume because someone has money, they're jerks. We knew a family that had enough money that they got their daughter's horses from Europe (yeah, me too.) But they practically gave us her "old" horse and hundreds of $ of tack and blankets just because they wanted him to have a good home. There are good people wherever you go and there are jerks wherever you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia