U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,644,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Well, if it helps, I am not "from" Middleburg. I only moved here a few years ago. My "snottiness" likely comes from my time spent in Sterling.
That could make for a good study on nature vs nurture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM

64 posts, read 82,595 times
I've received good and bad service in Middleburg. Personally I really enjoy the Fun Shop. I find the 'snottiness' comes from the locals there, not the shop owners. In the Homestore/local butcher shop, the Salamander Market and the Fun Shop, everyone there has been super in customer service. The rudeness comes from the locals who just butt in front of you in line because they are a regular (I guess).

Most of the shops are usually so overwhelmed with customer, like the German store there, that most of their time is spent making sure people don't touch and break their fragile and expensive merchandise. I think Red is talking about the Fox's Den place. I just check Tripadvisor and the most recent reviews are horrid.

I've stuck to Market Salamander (awesome lunch!) and had the sandwiches at the Homestore and Julians. I found the services at those places to be friendly.

You know what I really like in Middleburg - Betty's chips and salsa. My last drive down there everyone was sold out.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
I've received good and bad service in Middleburg. Personally I really enjoy the Fun Shop. I find the 'snottiness' comes from the locals there, not the shop owners. In the Homestore/local butcher shop, the Salamander Market and the Fun Shop, everyone there has been super in customer service. The rudeness comes from the locals who just butt in front of you in line because they are a regular (I guess). .
Please note that the most of the shop owners are also locals.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Second, now that you're making trips to Middleburg, realize that there is cultural difference that may appear odd or even rude. Learn from and embrace it.
+1 You'll likely feel unwelcome until you grasp the culture. Distinct cultures exists when a group of people says "we are this way, not that way." Middleburg is an animal loving, small country town, protected by money, intentionally preserved and in contrast to the rat race culture of suburbia DC. Some may misunderstand it for snobbery, but it's really something so much better. You'll find the most warm hearted generous loving people there. Read the book, The Middleburg Mystique by Vicky Moon to get a better feel for the culture.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 PM

60 posts, read 69,521 times
Thumbs up Cool beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL LOL LOL this is so true! You can move to Middleburg and not have any money--but don't you dare move there without a dog.

This place sounds like heaven. LOL.
I didnt realize how dog centered my life was until I stumbled upon this thread ha ha.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:25 AM

531 posts, read 1,204,741 times
Middleburg has some super rich. But most people living in Middleburg are not wealthy. Actually, the median income in Muddleburg is lower than many other jurisdictions in NOVA.

I doubt you can find the flashy Kardashian type of local rich on Middleburg's street.

Hearing people like OP calling the new Aldie junk place makes me think that's pretty snotty. Sorry, most middle class Americans live in the "construction junk" because that's what they can afford.

Not sure which restaurant OP was referring to. Someone suggested Fox Den, which seems to be known for bad service. Apparently the restaurant doesn't worry about losing customers by horrible service, maybe because most tourists don't know. I'll never go to that place to eat after reading the reviews on tripadvisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia