Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

OP, sounds like you received some sh**ty service but that's how restaurants go. You can receive good or bad service at an upscale restaurant and you can get good or bad service from Waffle House (which really sucks). Since the review you read seems to share your findings, chalk this up as something confirmed. They weren't singling you out to treat you snotty. Sounds like they were acting normal in their book.

Conversing with people in line is quite common. Same thing happens in Winchester. People greet each other and ask about their kids, family, health, or whatevers the latest gossip. Some would say they get downright nosy.

My advice: if you feel you've been wronged at an establishment, ask for the manager right away. Chances are is that employee treats everyone that way.

Second, now that you're making trips to Middleburg, realize that there is cultural difference that may appear odd or even rude. Learn from and embrace it. For example, when we were house - hunting in Winchester, every time we pulled up to a house people would stare at us. I mean, really stare. It seemed like they were saying with their eyes "Go home Yankee!" (or worse). However, I think it has to do with strangers and safety (my neighbors will tell me in 2 seconds if someone shady is hovering around my house).

So now that I live here, guess what I do on my front porch when a strange car pulls up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 AM

33 posts, read 46,532 times
True - South Jersey Styx. I remember when I was in high school and in college later on, I would hang out frequently at the Tastee Diner on Route 29. I had many late nights there studying, drinking coffee, chatting with the waitresses, plus, most importantly of all, I could afford to eat there for a meal. I would defend the patrons and staff at Tastee to most of my fellow students and friends. Most of them would call them 'brash, loud, low class, hillbillies, rednecks' and a few other insults I won't even type here. Most were blue collar workers, yes, but they were the most kind, funny, and insightful people I've met over the years. They didn't come from money, most were either tradesman, or maybe had a high school education, but had more street smarts and common sense than most college education people.

However, the way they talked in the Larry the Cable guy kinda way, most folks took them for ignorant or stupid. They weren't. Well, okay, there were a few that even I questioned how they managed to get by, but very rarely were any of them mean or downright rude.

Since we move about every 2-3 years for work, I've spent most of my adult life learning the cultures and morays of whatever country I'm in. I grew up in this area, but my dad was Air Force, and we moved around a LOT before staying in N. VA for a few years. I guess I've spent too much time abroad! Even the Brits, which most perceive as entitled, it's just a cultural thing that can best be explained in the book "Watching the British", which helped so much before I went there to understand why they do what they do - which honestly, was mostly spot on.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
When I lived in Northern Virginia I was living so close to the top of my budget on my relatively meager Federal salary that there were days I would skip eating to save money. I was still wearing mostly the same clothes I had been wearing in high school (minus the teeny-bopper Hollister ones I'd look ridiculous in at age 22). Nevertheless I visited Middleburg on several occasions just because I hated living in the poorly-planned blob of sterile suburbia that was Reston and yearned to feel like I was in a true "walking community". I never once felt as if I was being judged socioeconomically. I carried myself well with a pleasant demeanor---a nod and a grin with a nice greeting to passersby. It was just so soul-refreshing for me to leave the land of the "new construction garbage" and feel as if I was walking back in time to a simpler era where people walked more and cared more about each other than about themselves. Middleburg (and Winchester) really helped facilitate a lot of self-therapy for me whenever I started feeling burned out by the rat-race of Fairfax County. I cherish that town. I can't imagine you'd feel unwelcome if you moved there.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
If you really want to see how Middleburg people behave, step inside the post office. You won't find tourists, only locals picking up their mail. Many people chat, everyone provides pleasant greetings, there are always smiles and thank you's. Zero snottiness.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I find this 100% IMPOSSIBLE to believe unless you were wearing some sort of t-shirt that was racist, crude, or said "I hate horses".

Agreed. I'm calling bogus on the entire story.

What a load of bunk.

"Later, I decided to sit down for a meal at one of the local restaurants. It took over 45 minutes for my meal to come out and it was stone cold. I asked for it to be at least reheated, it was, but barely. Upon leaving, two fellows outside who were smoking looked at me, laughed, and actually said to me 'go back to where you belong, you don't belong here and we don't want you here'."

Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM

33 posts, read 46,532 times
Default Not bogus

The people who made the remark worked in the kitchen. They knew the fish was served partially frozen, they were wearing kitchen attire and obviously taking a smoke break. We brought to the server's attention the fish was frozen, it went back to the kitchen. It came back still frozen in the center....obviously the cook staff was told about it. Who knows if the cook staff actually lived in Middleburg or just worked there. In either case, those two were rude and laughing at us upon our departure. We honestly speculated whether they did something with the food as we heard their comment and heard them laugh afterwards.

Check Tripadvisor, several comments were made about the service and the staff at the same restaurant. I'm not an exception, just one of many who encountered this at the same restaurant.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
If you really want to see how Middleburg people behave, step inside the post office. You won't find tourists, only locals picking up their mail. Many people chat, everyone provides pleasant greetings, there are always smiles and thank you's. Zero snottiness.
Hmm interesting there is a thread on Middleburg being snotty(never heard that before), and it turns out you're from Middleburg considering your posting style on here. Maybe explains a lot...

Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Hmm interesting there is a thread on Middleburg being snotty(never heard that before), and it turns out you're from Middleburg considering your posting style on here. Maybe explains a lot...
Well, if it helps, I am not "from" Middleburg. I only moved here a few years ago. My "snottiness" likely comes from my time spent in Sterling.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
Quote:
Well, if it helps, I am not "from" Middleburg. I only moved here a few years ago. My "snottiness" likely comes from my time spent in Sterling.
That explains soooo much.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:03 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsilas77 View Post
The people who made the remark worked in the kitchen. They knew the fish was served partially frozen, they were wearing kitchen attire and obviously taking a smoke break. We brought to the server's attention the fish was frozen, it went back to the kitchen. It came back still frozen in the center....obviously the cook staff was told about it. Who knows if the cook staff actually lived in Middleburg or just worked there. In either case, those two were rude and laughing at us upon our departure. We honestly speculated whether they did something with the food as we heard their comment and heard them laugh afterwards.

Check Tripadvisor, several comments were made about the service and the staff at the same restaurant. I'm not an exception, just one of many who encountered this at the same restaurant.

Check tripadvisor for almost ALL restaurants and you'll find the same thing. The best restaurants around also receive some poor reviews. Means nothing unless the vast majority do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia