Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,743 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are looking for tree stumps that we can use to decorate an outdoors event, but we are not sure where to find them.

We are kind of looking for something like this:
http://www.ecosalon.com/wp-content/u...ump-stools.jpg

I rememebr not too long ago I found some tree stumps had been left abandoned in the Browns Chapel Park in Reston, but I haven't seen anything similar there again since.

As always, thanks a lot for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,011 times
I don't advise randomly picking up stumps and bringing them to your home. They may have termites, dangerous beetles (eg., emerald ash borer) that destroy trees, and/or a jellow jacket nest. As far as where to find, I'd call a lumber mill, but get them to look you in the eye and swear the logs have 0 termites and/or dangerous beetle lavae. You may need to take a drive out in the country to go to a decent lumber mill.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

628 posts, read 1,932,926 times
Tree services love to unload wood chips and cut tree trunks on homeowners who want to mulch or split firewood. Their alternative is to pay for disposal or consume space storing on their own property. Give one a call. Also, the Fairfax County landfills give away mulch, shredded leaves (for composting), and unsplit firewood. In this regard, I see cut tree sections like what you want at the Lorton landfill all the time, and I presume the same exists at the I-66 counterpart.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,086,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I don't advise randomly picking up stumps and bringing them to your home. They may have termites, dangerous beetles (eg., emerald ash borer) that destroy trees, and/or a jellow jacket nest. . . .
Excellent point - many trees that are cut down look ok on the outside but slowly rotting/dying on the inside from disease or insects.

Try contacting a tree-cutting service. Alot of them have the shredding machine and shred on the spot but I've seen folks walk up to a service and ask for stumps as they cut down a tree.

Also contact one of the public parks and ask. I think they are obliged to cut down "bad" trees for the sake of public safety. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 PM

771 posts, read 1,458,743 times
Thanks for the advice!

We are not planning to bring the tree trunks indoors, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
We are not planning to bring the tree trunks indoors, so that shouldn't be a problem.
You should still check them out. There could be ants in them or other insects that will spread to the rest of your trees and shrubs. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Excellent point - many trees that are cut down look ok on the outside but slowly rotting/dying on the inside from disease or insects.

Try contacting a tree-cutting service. Alot of them have the shredding machine and shred on the spot but I've seen folks walk up to a service and ask for stumps as they cut down a tree.

Also contact one of the public parks and ask. I think they are obliged to cut down "bad" trees for the sake of public safety. Good luck!
In my experience, the only time we have had trees cut was when they were diseased. I suspect many homeowners don't cut until there is something wrong with the tree as well. I would definitely be very picky about where you get your tree stumps from. A termite infestation on your home can cost $$$. Termites don't need to be brought indoors to wreck havoc -- they can still swarm the outside of your home from the outside and work their way indoors. Sorry to be so stark. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:04 PM

628 posts, read 1,932,926 times
I'm not sure I'd be concerned about some of the negatives raised here. It sounds like your display will be temporary just for the party, right?.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
In my experience, the only time we have had trees cut was when they were diseased. I suspect many homeowners don't cut until there is something wrong with the tree as well.
No, homeowners cut down trees (or large parts thereof) when their growth impedes things, like electrical wires. Also, at our house up in NJ, people cut trees (tops) because they are just simply massive. I am talking about towering oaks 50' -80' or more. They have to be 30 yrs old and older. They're still healthy, but those towering tops are at risk during those heavy wind storms, etc.

Lopping off the tops does provide alot of stumps. I've watched tree cuttings where people walk up to the cutters and ask them for some stumps. Not sure if they're making seats out of them like the OP wants to do or if they use them for firewood. It's kind of interesting to me to see neighbors cart off a few stumps though.

Quote:
I would definitely be very picky about where you get your tree stumps from. A termite infestation on your home can cost $$$. .
Yes, absolutely vital! There could be insects or even worse, insect eggs inside of stumps. Can't see with the naked eye, but they could be there.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,574 times
There are several tree stumps (still rooted to the earth) covered with silver-striped orange 'caution' buckets in little (formerly decorative?) berms in front of the Vienna Metro station. I was glad when they finally added the buckets, though, since the bare, fairly narrow 3 ft.-high (-ish) tree stumps seemed like some kind of improbably bizarre accident waiting to happen. Plus, now they (the orange buckets, that is) are sort of like centerpieces in little invasive-grasses meditation gardens - perfect for the gazes of those of us waiting for CUE buses and trying to mentally decompress after a long day. I would guess the money that made the little berms and their young trees possible was some part of a beautification initiative that lacked the sizzle to keep said initiative's first movers interested after the trees' first watering. (Plus, they had already gotten their part, which was the point of the whole thing in the first place. )

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-07-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia