U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealluck View Post
my plate is valid until December 15th, but DMV didn't want give me the whole December, so they just gave an November sticker. They are lairs as well. They claimed that they have posted an warning sticker on December 10th, but I didn't see anything. And that was the big snow day, my car was covered in snow. Fat chance they were going to come around in such an weather.
Vehicle registrations in Virginia always expire at the end of the month. If your registration was valid in December, it would have expired on December 31st, not December 15th. Thus, they only gave you November stickers because your registration actually expired November 30th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 06:23 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
I agree - never heard of a sticker valid through mid-month.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Vehicle registrations in Virginia always expire at the end of the month. If your registration was valid in December, it would have expired on December 31st, not December 15th. Thus, they only gave you November stickers because your registration actually expired November 30th.

I think if you renew your plates online at the last minute, the DMV site lets you print out a temporary registration that lets you drive legally until the stickers arrive in the mail. This works for the police on the road, but as the OP found out, not with casual observers like HOA folks, towing contractors, etc.

That's why one should renew early enough that they will receive their stickers BEFORE the end of their renewal month.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 PM

469 posts, read 906,363 times
Arizona does mid month tag expirations. Never heard of it here, though.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,774,097 times
Wow !!!! here we go again, If only people knew what their rights were. Send the TOW company a demand letter for the return of the property they stole from you in violation of your rights to due process.

Give them 24 hrs to return it and when they don't file a small claims action against them for violating your rights under U.S. Title 42 , 1983( rights to due process). They may have had the HOA's permission but they didn't haven yours and in that case they are also guilty of grand thief auto. This same action has been heard in many courts where the Judges have ruled against the Tow companies and in favor of the plaintiffs . Plain and simple , Tow companies must have court permission to remove a citizens property and charge a fee, no contract with the owner of the car. no court order = Violation of Due Process, Extortion , Grand thief auto and the Judge will tell them every time .

Old 12-15-2013, 02:21 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,840,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Wow !!!! here we go again, If only people knew what their rights were. Send the TOW company a demand letter for the return of the property they stole from you in violation of your rights to due process.

Give them 24 hrs to return it and when they don't file a small claims action against them for violating your rights under U.S. Title 42 , 1983( rights to due process). They may have had the HOA's permission but they didn't haven yours and in that case they are also guilty of grand thief auto. This same action has been heard in many courts where the Judges have ruled against the Tow companies and in favor of the plaintiffs . Plain and simple , Tow companies must have court permission to remove a citizens property and charge a fee, no contract with the owner of the car. no court order = Violation of Due Process, Extortion , Grand thief auto and the Judge will tell them every time .
Here we go again. Totally false and wrong information on your part. Again. Some of these tow companies are a PITA but if they follow the rules they are not breaking any laws. The OP failed to display valid tags and it caught up with him.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,896,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post

I think tow companies haunt hoa communities when the parking areas are what in some areas are called "limited common" property....common to the owners of the sub-association within the master plan. Rights are ify then and often whoever yells the loudest and has the most time, patience and money to fight it wins.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:34 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,774,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Here we go again. Totally false and wrong information on your part. Again. Some of these tow companies are a PITA but if they follow the rules they are not breaking any laws. The OP failed to display valid tags and it caught up with him.
Really , how about some out there find out what your rights are before stating it is wrong info. Check your court records ( Traffic court) and see how many cases have been overturned by using this defense. Due process is the strongest defense for even fighting a traffic ticket , impounding of a vehicle. I Had the city where I used to live do a court ordered abatement on my storage lot , that was grandfathered. But be cause the company that they hired was not licensed , bonded, and did not follow that court order and in doing so Violated My right to due Process. So if you haven't tried this process , don't knock it. The tow company in this case did not give proper notice of his actions ( Even law enforcement has to post a 72 hr notice before they order to tow a vehicle . Even HOA can't violate some ones constitutional right to due process.

That means they can post notice but they can't steel your property and give it to some one else meaning the Tow company, who will bill you for services and storage that they don't have a signed contract with you for and then request DMV for permission to sell the vehicle for their expenses Illegally . In My case the Judge ruled all 15 vehicles had to be returned or they would allow me to file grand thief auto charges against the Tow Company . End of story.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:02 PM

574 posts, read 608,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think if you renew your plates online at the last minute, the DMV site lets you print out a temporary registration that lets you drive legally until the stickers arrive in the mail. This works for the police on the road, but as the OP found out, not with casual observers like HOA folks, towing contractors, etc.

That's why one should renew early enough that they will receive their stickers BEFORE the end of their renewal month.
Yes, this is what I was about to post. This verbiage is taken directly from the VA DMV's website regarding online registration renewal:
"Print your renewal receipt, which will extend your registration for another 15 days until you receive your renewal materials in the mail."

But there's no way someone just looking at a person's tags would know that they're waiting for their new sticker to arrive in the mail. I really don't understand why anyone would wait until the very last minute to renew online, when they know they have to account for the time it takes for the registration to be sent via mail. It's just easier to get this stuff done as soon as possible to avoid potential headaches down the road.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:18 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Yes, this is what I was about to post. This verbiage is taken directly from the VA DMV's website regarding online registration renewal:
"Print your renewal receipt, which will extend your registration for another 15 days until you receive your renewal materials in the mail."
Well, that certainly sounds like the most plausible situation, but doesn't explain the statement from the OP claiming the DMV didn't want to give him December stickers, only gave him November stickers. He insinuated his registration expiration had been Dec 15 since the onset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealluck View Post
my plate is valid until December 15th, but DMV didn't want give me the whole December, so they just gave an November sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia