Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:02 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,297,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
It is not TD Bank & it is in McLean proper not Vienna.

So Ballston wouldn't be good because of all the youngsters? I am 30, i guess too old for the area How about Annandale? I think Reston would just be way too far out. I currently work in Herndon , so familiar with Reston and I want to get out of the Dulles area bad!!!!
Annandale is less urban than Tysons, even the more urban parts of Annandale are still car centric far more than Tysons. That being said, theres some great things about annandale like price point, proximity inside the beltway, and really good ethnic cuisine.

I'd suggest since your job is in McLean propr that you look at Ballston. I know just as many 30 somethings who live in Arlington as 20 somethings, the idea that only post college kids want to live there is an extreme exaggeration. For every Spider Kellys bar (20 something frat boys) there is a northside social (30 something winos). And for the most part the 20 somethings stick to the Clarendon/Courthouse area anyways

I still suggest either Virginia Square or Ballston, best for commute (other than Tysons/McLean), best for urban vibe for 30 somethings (outside of Alexandria which is a bit too far for you to commute), and plenty of current and future transit options to commute to McLean (in fact check out the 23A/C which is a good bus that runs from Ballston to McLean) and future Silver Line of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,382,154 times
I don't think you're too old for Ballston just that it might not be great for your child.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,406,370 times
Ok, so I guess Arlington ( Ballston, V.Square), Tysons & Annandale would all work. Thank you everyone!

Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don't think you're too old for Ballston just that it might not be great for your child.
I hear good things about all the elementary schools near Ballston - Ashlawn, Glebe, Long Branch, Arlington Science Focus. Agree with TE that the reputation of the Orange Line corridor as a post-college frat scene is outdated. A lot of the folks first drawn to the area for that scene got older and decided they wanted to put down roots nearby, because they'd grown familiar with its conveniences. Of course, I'd do due diligence on any apartment complex to make sure it's not too noisy or raucous.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM

617 posts, read 1,350,132 times
You might want to explore the condo complex on Haycock Road near George Mason High School. I'm still not totally clear on where you're working, but if you turn right out of that complex, you're at Route 7 with a straight shot into Tyson's, and if you turn left, you're close to Great Falls street (or Westmoreland) with a straight shot into McLean proper. The school system is top notch, and you're right next the metro if you want to go downtown. Not to mention that the city of Falls Church itself is very walkable.

I was only looking at sale websites, not rentals, but several of these are 2BD/2BA and are selling in the $400,000 - $500,000 range, so I'd assume that rental process for these units would be within your budget. A quick check of a basic rental website estimated something like $2,200 a month, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM

I do not have yet the complete address, will let you guys know once I do. Thank you!

Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,382,154 times
Remember to just give general area or something. You don't want too much personal info out there. Best of luck with your move.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:28 PM

39 posts, read 154,747 times
you're definitely not 'old' to live in Ballston or anywhere in N. Arlington - I'm a 42 y.o. dad and never feel out of place when I'm out with my kid anywhere along the Orange Line corridor.

The schools are fantastic and as long as you register for extended day on time, you have a guaranteed spot at your school (before and/or after school care) - something FFX schools simply can't match. This was a huge factor in my decision to move to Arlington (I too am a single parent and this makes the logistics of drop-off and pick-up around the office schedule so much easier).

In Cherrydale, there are new apartments/condos for rent around the intersection of Lee highway and Quincy and apartment buildings a little further up towards Lee Highway and Lorcom Lane. There's also some apartments around the area of Sprout Run and Lee Highway.

good luck!

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Thank you all. I got more information, the location has been changed to greensboro dr. Anyone familiar with that area?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 PM

617 posts, read 1,350,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Thank you all. I got more information, the location has been changed to greensboro dr. Anyone familiar with that area?
Yep, that's a bit north of Tysons Corner Mall, and you might be in luck. There's a giant apartment complex on Greensboro Drive called The Rotunda which always has tons of units for sale.

I apologize in advance to the mods if this violates website rules, but it's not a real estate site so maybe it's okay; here's the complex website.

Rotonda - Home Page

They have a classified section which includes units for rent, and there appear to be several that meet your price/room specifications. If you find one you like, you might have a commute of five minutes or less.

I had several friends who lived in there when I was in high school, so as long as nothing has changed in 15 years, that's still in McLean's pyramid, which is oddly shaped, but would be good for your kid. You might want to look into it. I wouldn't be surprised, since Tysons Engineer said he lived in north Tysons, if this is the complex he lives in. It's massive, has it's own general store, gym, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia