U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:43 PM

24 posts, read 21,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I95 only runs north and south (from Maine to Florida), so you still haven't really described where you saw two lanes.

I've driven I95 in Northern Virginia a billion times. I can't think of a single place where there aren't at least three lanes in each direction, sometimes four. And depending on the time of day, you have the added HOV lanes.
Sorry - slightly misspoke. There were only 3 lanes ( from outside of Fredricksburg up to at least Woodbridge) on I- 95. For Rt 1 - only 2, I thought it must have been an eyetrick.....So many red taillights I say. It was VERY interesting... To be sure, it was a surprise - only 3 lanes. I did notice the HOV lanes though. Very familiar with the HOV and it helps. So I'm wondering how is it that this area with so much in/outgoing travel from the nation's capital has been so poorly equipped. Just a thought...out of frustration.
I'll try not to complain, but I will be inquiring with officials and maybe offering suggestions. I heard about the SLUGGING and VRE. - Great! but to get the neighborhood grocery store...it's an outright planned military mission. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,661,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookintomovetoVa View Post
Great! but to get the neighborhood grocery store...it's an outright planned military mission. lol
You are absolutely right here.....living in NoVa means planning your local trips around the specific time of day or even day of the week.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 PM

5,088 posts, read 5,363,316 times
Quote:
I'll try not to complain, but I will be inquiring with officials and maybe offering suggestions. I heard about the SLUGGING and VRE. - Great! but to get the neighborhood grocery store...it's an outright planned military mission. lol
OP, what area of Woodbridge will you be living within? I live in the Lake Ridge area, and it takes me no more than 10 minutes to get to the nearest grocery store. Five minutes if I hit the lights right. So it may not be as bad as all that.

Where are you commuting to for work?

After living here a bit, you will learn the best times to travel and which roads to avoid. I-95 around the holidays (any holiday) is horrible. Even on the Friday afternoon of Columbus Day weekend, it's bad. Our choices are to stay home, find an alternate route or adjust your departure/arrival times.

You will also learn the best time to go to Potomac Mills is on a weeknight on your way home from work. And to avoid it at all costs between Thanksgiving and New Year's. There isn't a good time at all in those few weeks to go to the mall.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,817,797 times
Quote:
My question would be why just "deal with it". and not come up with viable solutions. This is truly a fixable issue, as I mentioned. I, too, hate complainers and no solution finders.
I'm sure they have the solutions. What they don't have is the money. No one wants I-95 turned into a toll road.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM

10,598 posts, read 12,106,713 times
This is not a good weekend to gauge traffic. My inlaws just drove down from Massachusetts yesterday. The normal 8 hour trip took them 12 hours with traffic beginning in New Jersey. Same with my brother in law today from Mass. What kills me is people who get on the road during the "holiday season" and are shocked that there is gridlocked traffic. Everyone is traveling. Everyone. It won't be normal until January 4th.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,661,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This is not a good weekend to gauge traffic. My inlaws just drove down from Massachusetts yesterday. The normal 8 hour trip took them 12 hours with traffic beginning in New Jersey. Same with my brother in law today from Mass. What kills me is people who get on the road during the "holiday season" and are shocked that there is gridlocked traffic. Everyone is traveling. Everyone. It won't be normal until January 4th.
totally off topic, but Dulles airport was essentially empty on Christmas Eve as well as on Friday. I was actually shocked. Maybe people should start flying again................

Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM

10,598 posts, read 12,106,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
totally off topic, but Dulles airport was essentially empty on Christmas Eve as well as on Friday. I was actually shocked. Maybe people should start flying again................
If they'd only lower those prices. I agree. The roads are just incredible. It used to be Thanksgiving that was the big travel holiday, but over the last few years, I've found the days leading up to Christmas and then the entire week through New Years to be an absolute bear. And because I have family that visits from New England, I know that their trips take many extra hours and it's just all over the northeast down to Richmond, I believe.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,352,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I figured it was holiday traffic but I don't ever remember it being this bad around Christmas time so it sort of makes sense that less people are flying and more people are driving this year. I was just telling a friend I'm looking forward to early/mid-January for everything to get back to normal.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:08 PM

11,387 posts, read 20,195,950 times
Today was likely also a big travel day for folks either returning home from Christmas and/or traveling for the New Year holiday. We were on 95S starting around 11 am and it started crawling the further South we went (and saw LOTS of FL plates for example) - fortunately, only had to go to the Occoquan Exit.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:22 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,660,486 times
Quote:
oh my - this isn't good. Yes, just signed lease in Woodbridge. I could not believe how traffic was a gridlocked standstill. It seems the slow drivers throughout the state of VA would drive in the left lane and never move to the right????
Where will you be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or