Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,035 times

Advertisements

Just another cop looking for early retirement/disability. I saw in the Washington Post where 80% of the cops in Montgomery County retire on disability (I realize MoCo is in Maryland....but these guys are all the same). Sorry you're going through this. You might need to get a lawyer. In the interim, write down everything you can recall now (time you got home, the amount of time lapsed between the ticket and the knock on the door).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM

346 posts, read 550,803 times
You (supposedly) ran over his foot and only got a ticket?? Consider yourself lucky that he didn't go off and start shooting at you with his pistol...

Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 17,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
PWCPD does not have dash cameras. At least they didn't so I guess it's possible they now have it and you can subpoena it. Just because the officer said you were free to go doesn't absolve you of responsibility to be safe when pulling away. This officer has nothing to gain by coming after you and issuing you another summons. I can't say one way or another what really happened there but I can picture the scene now. You're demanding he finish up and let you go then you ripped out too fast once he said those magic words. Dropping it into drive and tearing out is not acceptable.

He knew who you were and where you lived so there was no need to chase after you. In my 30 years I dealt with irate people and in my guess you sound like you were one of them. Regardless, you have an attorney so just follow his or her advice.
Speeding tickets that I have received in the past were very professional. The officer states why he pulled me over, states the traffic violation, requests license and registration, writes the ticket and leaves.

I was annoyed that this officer was asking me questions that did not pertain to the traffic violation (i.e., where are you going, where are you coming from, were you drinking, where do you live).

I replied, "Sir, I was speeding. Please write the ticket so I can be on my way." I will admit, I should not have said that.

At the end, in my opinion, this was a cop who was offended that I didn't kiss his ass in an effort to avoid a speeding ticket. Then to add good measure, he comes up with the reckless driving charge.

Lesson learned: answer all questions.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
[/b]

Nothing requires he write the summons right there.
Agreed. But almost running over an officer's foot is a serious allegation that warrants immediate action, don't you think?

Old 01-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
You (supposedly) ran over his foot and only got a ticket?? Consider yourself lucky that he didn't go off and start shooting at you with his pistol...
Please reread carefully. I did not run over the officer's foot. He says I almost ran over his foot. Nevertheless, I always consider myself lucky to leave a police encounter alive.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
That's pretty much how I see it too.

OP makes it sounds like as soon as the word "go" came out of the officer's mouth, responsibility was 100% on the officer to stay clear of the OP as he peeled on out.
That's not what I am implying. He said I was free to go. First, I took time to put my driver's license in my wallet, checked the mirrors for oncoming traffic and drove off.

In my opinion, this officer is upset that I wasn't kissing his butt to get out of a ticket. It's my fault for not playing the game and stroking his ego. I accept some responsibility for this ordeal. However, I am not going to take it lying down. Let the Commonwealth Attorney present its case and see if they can establish guilt.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHFB97 View Post
That's not what I am implying. He said I was free to go. First, I took time to put my driver's license in my wallet, checked the mirrors for oncoming traffic and drove off.

In my opinion, this officer is upset that I wasn't kissing his butt to get out of a ticket. It's my fault for not playing the game and stroking his ego. I accept that some responsibility for this ordeal. However, I am not going to take it lying down. Let the Commonwealth Attorney present its case and see if they can establish guilt.
Here's some good advice, kiss the officers ass next time. You never mentioned if you put your turn signal on when pulling away? I bet he was standing right next to your car when you suddenly pulled out. The officer could have been worse, and pulled you over immediately.
I say this because I've had run ins with the police when I was much younger and it simply is not worth the hassle over a speeding ticket especially when you did speed. Next time be nice and patient. Pick your battles well because this aint one of them.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Here's some good advice, kiss the officers ass next time. You never mentioned if you put your turn signal on when pulling away? I bet he was standing right next to your car when you suddenly pulled out. The officer could have been worse, and pulled you over immediately.
I say this because I've had run ins with the police when I was much younger and it simply is not worth the hassle over a speeding ticket especially when you did speed. Next time be nice and patient. Pick your battles well because this aint one of them.
I couldn't agree more. It is hard, but doable.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,152,762 times
I've been pulled over a few times and feel fairly certain that I waited for the officer to get back into his vehicle before leaving the scene. Seems like the prudent thing to do. If this occurred last night/this morning, I am not surprised by all his questions. It was New Year's Eve, after all, one of the biggest drinking nights of the year. Not all cops expect ass-kissing, but most are going to want compliance.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHFB97 View Post
I replied, "Sir, I was speeding. Please write the ticket so I can be on my way." I will admit, I should not have said that.

At the end, in my opinion, this was a cop who was offended that I didn't kiss his ass in an effort to avoid a speeding ticket. Then to add good measure, he comes up with the reckless driving charge.

Lesson learned: answer all questions.
And you thought (as you said in your first post) that you were being polite?

I have been pulled over for speeding once in my life and another moving violation besides that. Once was in the 80s and once in the late 90s. Cops have been the same ever since. I was ALWAYS asked where was I coming from, where was I going, do I know what the speed limit is? Often times, a police officer may consider the answers to those questions and decide if they warrant NOT writing the ticket. I think those are standard questions. Add to that, it was probably New Year's Eve, or close, and they are definitely looking for drunk drivers. Asking you those questions helps them ascertain if you have been drinking or not.

Now, having said that, even if you were "curt" with the officer, that doesn't give him a right to abuse his position. He should not be claiming reckless just to get back at you. I guess the courts will decide if he's wrong or you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia