U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It is not your employer's responsibility to give you time off to take care of your child if they do not have school. If you choose to have children, you need to plan for their care. If you do not have an emergency care-giver to fill in on snow days, then you best save your vacation days for these types of emergencies.

I don't consider it a hardship. It is one of the things that comes along with having children. If you don't want to deal with it, don't have children.
I agree. Planning is important when you have kids. That should not be an excuse. Most daycares are still open on days like today for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,427,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
But it's overkill. Today, sure, was slick in spots. The government opened. People who felt like they had to go in, went in, people who didn't have to stayed home and took leave or teleworked. We did not get any huge amount of gridlock or horror stories so, in hindsight, they made the right decision. This prediction was not calling for much--an inch in most of the areas surrounding the majority of work centers. It was scheduled to end in the middle of the night. I think they made a good call. If they closed all the time, it would get very costly in that you'd be paying workers to stay home all for every blip in the weather.

There have been times that they've made the wrong decision or they've made untimely closures that resulted in several hundred thousand workers hitting the road at the same time a storm started. Ever had one of those 8 hour rides home? I guess there's just no good way to predict what will happen but it's probably too fiscally irresponsible to close for any bad weather prediction between December and March.
I hear what you're saying, and it certainly doesn't look like there have been any major problems today. I am sure many federal employees have worked from home or took leave, which is probably enough for some of the smaller snowstorms. And, of course, the fact that the schools are closed also keeps some people off the roads. I guess if I were the person making the calls on whether to close the federal government, I would err much more on the side of closing simply because it seems like the safer call to make. The potential consequences of not closing (accidents, injuries, fatalities) seem much more extreme than the potential consequences of closing (a day of lost work).

Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,644,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I agree. Planning is important when you have kids. That should not be an excuse. Most daycares are still open on days like today for that reason.
I'm not sure if most are. My son's preschool follows what the schools do, as in closed today. I ran into a neighbor as I was leaving this morning and he said his kid's daycare was closed too, which he didn't realize until he arrived to drop him off. I would be interested if someone did a poll of daycares in this area to see what their policies are. It seems like a lot close for bad weather.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
I'm not sure if most are. My son's preschool follows what the schools do, as in closed today. I ran into a neighbor as I was leaving this morning and he said his kid's daycare was closed too, which he didn't realize until he arrived to drop him off. I would be interested if someone did a poll of daycares in this area to see what their policies are. It seems like a lot close for bad weather.

Many of them do close, I agree. When you are looking at daycare, it is one question to ask. I did find two that stayed open when I using daycare and I chose one. Obviously if they were horrible daycare situations, I would not have used them solely for that reason but the one I chose was pretty good. When I needed daycare, I was not a federal worker and I had a pretty crappy leave benefit where I worked so being able to use daycare when schools closed was a priority for me. For many parents, they either don't check into it/don't think about it or they can't find a place that they like that offers it. But it is available.

As a manager, I do try to be really understanding with my employees over this; however, I do draw the line when someone doesn't even try. I had this one young woman working for me that had two small children. She was very clear about the fact that her daycare provider closed anytime the schools closed and that she stayed with this provider because she was "cheap" because she wasn't licensed. Yet, the schools closed A LOT. Then I had her crying tears in the office because she didn't have any leave and wanted some special treatment. I told her, get a new daycare provider. They have ones out there that won't close every time the wind blows. She wouldn't do it so I can't help people that won't help themselves. Sorry, I'm digressing on a hot button issue for me. Being a working parent stinks in times like this but, alternatively, people don't always put themselves into a situation that would be better for any number of reasons--some good, some bad.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,612,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
The ones that my children have been to do not close unless the Federal Government closes. One of them was Kindercare which has a lot of locations in this region. Not sure if there policies change by location but I have heard daycare going by what the government does.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I would err much more on the side of closing simply because it seems like the safer call to make. The potential consequences of not closing (accidents, injuries, fatalities) seem much more extreme than the potential consequences of closing (a day of lost work).
It costs 300 Million A DAY to close the federal government! Can you provide some data showing that there were an increased number of injuries and fatalaties TODAY over any other random day?

A few fender benders does not outweigh 300 Million dollars of taxpayer money.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:49 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Quote:
It costs 300 Million A DAY to close the federal government!
That is just not true. Federal employees' salaries are fixed amounts and already obligated under the federal budget. It's not as if the government shells out for extra employee hours to make up for snow days.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM

499 posts, read 1,889,968 times
I'd like to propose a New Years Resolution for the vast majority of people who drive in this area--I will clear snow off of my car before I head out on the road and have huge chunks of snow and ice fly off and possibly hit a vehicle or person behind me.

Too much to ask?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It costs 300 Million A DAY to close the federal government! Can you provide some data showing that there were an increased number of injuries and fatalaties TODAY over any other random day?

A few fender benders does not outweigh 300 Million dollars of taxpayer money.
Well, seeing as TODAY isn't really over yet, I don't know how I really would have statistics from TODAY.

I really wasn't making a statistical argument - I'm just trying to use my own logic and reasoning. You're obviously free to disagree. In that respect, I think it is fairly logical to conclude that when there is snow or ice on the road, the ratio of car accidents and the injuries and fatalities that result from such accidents to the number of people on the roads increases over days when there is no snow or ice on the road. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a real leap of logic to make such argument. Do you disagree? If so, what logic leads you conclude that the ratio would be the same?

Do you have data to support your $300 million claim? I'd be delighted to see it.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
I'd like to propose a New Years Resolution for the vast majority of people who drive in this area--I will clear snow off of my car before I head out on the road and have huge chunks of snow and ice fly off and possibly hit a vehicle or person behind me.

Too much to ask?
I am totally with you on this. It is one of my biggest pet peeves, and it really is dangerous. I know in Pennsylvania, it was illegal to drive if you did not completely clear your car of snow before driving it. I seem to recall reading some articles in the past about people being killed by ice flying off of the roof of the car in front of them and smashing through their windshield. Yet another example, in my opinion, of people not knowing how to handle winter driving conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia