U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,649 times

Advertisements

Hello-
We just moved into a condo on January 1, 2014 and we are already having problems. The property manager told us we had 5 days to make an inspection document regarding the property. The manager had already made his inspection document which including numerous photographs. We made our own inspection document and noted that there was a water leak in the water-heater closet which required prompt attention. We did not hear back from the property manager, even though I called him on Friday regarding the inspection document. Our document was sent to the office Friday, January 3. On Wednesday, January 8 the custodian came to our door stating that the tenant below had a flooded closet and water damage. It just so happened that the property manager was coming to our apartment to review our inspection list. Since then we have 'moved' to a hotel and we are living out of a suitcase. The property manager says that he will cover our hotel costs while the work is being done. The work could go on for at least 2 weeks. I would like to know if we are entitled to any compensation such as a reduction in rent since we are not even living in the apartment. Also, would it be possible to get out of the one-year lease due to the above pre-existing condition? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,397,398 times
I suggest that you request this thread be moved to the Renting Forum. You'll get some constructive answers there - just be sure to let them know you're in Virginia so they know which tenant/landlord laws to reference.

I don't know if you can get out of the lease since the property manager is absorbing the cost of the hotel stay. However, I think I would just wait it out. It will take several days for you to find another place, go through the application, credit & reference checks and then the hassle of switching off/on utilities and moving again in such a short period of time.

Right now you are frustrated by the situation, and you should take a breath and think about it before terminating the lease.

I think you need to take some personal responsibility here, as well. Instead of just noting the leak on the inspection document you should have called and reported it to someone verbally. It is not to be expected that the inspection document will be reviewed immediately upon receipt. You called on Friday regarding the inspection document. Did you think to call regarding the water leak? Did you try calling to report the water leak on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday?

If you weren't provided with an after-hours phone number to call for emergency situations, then you need to ask for one. This goes for any rental.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM

52 posts, read 71,505 times
To answer your question, this happened to me and we had to live in a hotel for 1 week. The rental company gave us a $900 rent concession in addition to paying for the hotel. Just be firm (not rude) and read the landlord tenant handbook/act to know your rights. We were offered several choices ONLY AFTER I had to resort to referencing the Act...they offered to move us to another apartment within the building as well. I wasn't going to lift a finger and they were going to hire a company to move and unpack us. All of this came after I had a 'coming to Jesus' talk with the property manager who wasn't being helpful in the beginning. Be open for compromise and let them know what you want. They aren't going to give you everything without you asking. Also be sure to document the agreement with an email or letter. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia