Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,161 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the DC area this summer. It's me, my wife, and our 3yr-old daughter. I will be working in Foggy Bottom and my wife works from home. We will be in DC for a max of 3 years, so looking to rent with a cap around $2k for a 2br.

To be honest, I'm all over the place mentally with where to live. I've looked into everything from Crystal City to Reston to Takoma to Hyattsville.

We will have a car, but are very interested in not using it! More importantly, my wife and daughter are often out and about, so the number one priority is a place they can walk around with lots to do, good safety, nice outdoor space, walking access to groceries, ability to hook up with other moms, etc... Nightlife is of zero importance (but we love ethinc food for a lunch now and then). I want us to be able to take advantage of all the free stuff DC has to offer, but realize the district will probably be too expensive. I'd like to commute via public transport as well, an hour max. Schools aren't very important as the little one would only be in pre-k, possibly kindergarten.

Would appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:48 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisarrex View Post
We are relocating to the DC area this summer. It's me, my wife, and our 3yr-old daughter. I will be working in Foggy Bottom and my wife works from home. We will be in DC for a max of 3 years, so looking to rent with a cap around $2k for a 2br.

To be honest, I'm all over the place mentally with where to live. I've looked into everything from Crystal City to Reston to Takoma to Hyattsville.

We will have a car, but are very interested in not using it! More importantly, my wife and daughter are often out and about, so the number one priority is a place they can walk around with lots to do, good safety, nice outdoor space, walking access to groceries, ability to hook up with other moms, etc... Nightlife is of zero importance (but we love ethinc food for a lunch now and then). I want us to be able to take advantage of all the free stuff DC has to offer, but realize the district will probably be too expensive. I'd like to commute via public transport as well, an hour max. Schools aren't very important as the little one would only be in pre-k, possibly kindergarten.

Would appreciate any ideas.
Falls Church. Its a decent middle ground for you, still has things to do and walkable, safe, but also less expensive than the premier areas closer in.

You could live in Reston also, but you'll need your car for work (although if you are ok with a bus to train transfer you wont).

Old 01-16-2014, 01:41 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I recommend the Del Ray community of Alexandria. If you walk along Mount Vernon Avenue, you'll be dodging strollers and doggies. I think it would fit your wife's wants perfectly. It's convenient to the Braddock Road metro stop, so you could take the metro to Foggy Bottom (according to the train schedule, it's a less than 20 minute ride).

http://www.visitalexandriava.com/abo...ray-arlandria/

Just a doing a quick search on craigslist. There are 2BR rentals available for under $2k. Here are some examples:

Large Renovated 2 bedroom in Del Ray Walk To Metro Parking Central AC

Alexandria/Braddock Rd. Metro

Sun-drenched Charm just off The Avenue

It's also close enough to the district that you can easily drive or metro in for exploring and activities.

Last edited by HokieFan; 01-16-2014 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 01:47 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
You won't need a car for work if you live in the South Lakes area of Reston. The Silver line will be running and you can take it to Foggy Bottom and I'm sure door to door will be less than an hour (though not much less). Your wife and daughter will love Reston. Great outdoor space and lots for the little one to do. All the properties below are in your budget, close to the new Metro station, and walkable to shopping at South Lakes Shopping Center.

11156 BOATHOUSE CT #73, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2037 HEADLANDS CIR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1988B VILLARIDGE DR #B, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
10970 GRANBY CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Here are some photos of the area to give you an idea of just how wonderful South Lakes Reston is!
Photo Tour: Reston - South Lakes

Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Falls Church, Del Ray and Reston are great recommendations, each with their particular advantages.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 AM

45 posts, read 113,231 times
I would concur with Del Ray.

I think you should also consider South Arlington, such as Arlington Village. You can find under $2k for a 2 bedroom, you could take the 16Y to Foggy Bottom in under 30 minutes (or bike or take the ART Bus to metro and also get there in about 30 minutes), and Columbia Pike is a pretty walkable area. Plenty of people get by with no car.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Del Ray in Alexandria.

The main street of businesses is Mt. Vernon Avenue. They close the street for the annual Halloween parade and the kids march down in their costumes (during the daytime) and they have treats and live music. Similar thing for the arts festival, when artists have booths on the street, and there are bands. Then there is First Thursdays during part of the year.

Duncan Library is in the community and has activities for kids (story time, etc). The various elementary schools have activities like fall festivals, 4th of July "best baby", "best decorated bike" contests, stuff like that.

Walking access to groceries is one compromise, though. There is a small older Giant grocery store on Monroe Ave, but it's more likely you'd drive the 2 miles or so to a larger store.

The characterization above of strollers and dogs is very apt.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Alexandria would be my recommendation as rents there are a bit cheaper due to the relatively lower quality public schools. Other areas to look at are South Arlington (there are bus lines that go to metro quickly), Falls Church, or Dunn Loring; though Dunn Loring isn't the most walkable area.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Alexandria would be my recommendation as rents there are a bit cheaper due to the relatively lower quality public schools. Other areas to look at are South Arlington (there are bus lines that go to metro quickly), Falls Church, or Dunn Loring; though Dunn Loring isn't the most walkable area.
Dunn loring has gotten a lot better since Mosaic came in.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Dunn loring has gotten a lot better since Mosaic came in.
Mosaic is nice, but it's a small area and surrounded by large roads that are hard to cross. You'd still need to use a car extensively in that area to get to anything. Arlington, Alexandria, and much of Falls Church are much easier to walk around in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia