Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM

320 posts, read 711,316 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the snow shovel breaks and they forget to replace it until the next storm We were really tough on it yesterday as we had to break through the mound the plow pushed in front of the storm sewer. If we didn't do this, there would be a small lake in front of our driveway when the snow starts to melt. We will be tossing one of the shovels out as it is beat up. Can I say I look forward to Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
The roads are a lot better today than they were yesterday although still messy.

My guess is a two hour delay for schools tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 AM

167 posts, read 495,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I am extremely angry !

Ok so 2 hour delay was given and it is better than nothing. However! It is only good if something was done to the roads during those 2 hours! So I wake up all in a good mood, not really

And I'm out of my place at like 9:15am. It usually takes me like 5 minutes to get to work but I expected to still be at work by 9:30am today. But noooooooooooooooooo!

I got 6 inches of snow on my car and about 1/2" inch of solid ice underneath that! I find out that my snow brush is stuck in my trunk which is stuck because it is frozen. So I use my bare hands to wipe the snow away. It is like 9:30am before I can open the trunk. By this time I have probably wasted a gallon of gas just on heating the car!

I get to the windshield and it is a brick. On top of that I keep slipping on the ground because apparently Sochi has moved to our neighborhood parking lot in the way of figure skating!

It is 9:35am and I have finally made my car drivable. About 1 foot of viewing area on my windshield and I hit the accelerator. You know that ice I was mentioning? Well my car doesn't like it either.

I'm flooring the car and going nowhere. I'm on level pavement by the way. I almost give up but no!

TODAY I AM GOING TO WORK!

I finally start a rocking motion while twisting and turning my steering wheel and I finally get free of the space that held me prisoner for almost 30 minutes! I get to work at 9:50am and now I'm reading emails.

And what were u doing yesterday after the snow ended? You got the entire day off yesterday and yet you decided to wait until this morning to clean the snow off ur car...And you knew the storm was coming and yet you left your snow brush in your trunk? Maybe you should be angry at yourself for not preparing better.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Probably.

I also don't understand the run on snow shovels every single year. What do people do with the ones they bought last year?

This made me laugh as I often wonder the same thing. I have even asked neighbors who say they "lost it". I mean, doesn't the snow shovel go in the same place in the garage every year?

I often wonder about the broken shovels too. I have one great shovel (with the curved handle and all) and my first snow shovel made of aluminum or steel with a wooden handle. My dad (career Army) gave this to me over 20 years ago and it's been used ever since. I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:51 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
The roads are a lot better today than they were yesterday although still messy.

My guess is a two hour delay for schools tomorrow.
I thought so too until seeing the Parkway around Rolling and again near the Metro. Beulah. Not good.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecart1 View Post
I am extremely angry !

Ok so 2 hour delay was given and it is better than nothing. However! It is only good if something was done to the roads during those 2 hours! So I wake up all in a good mood, not really

And I'm out of my place at like 9:15am. It usually takes me like 5 minutes to get to work but I expected to still be at work by 9:30am today. But noooooooooooooooooo!

I got 6 inches of snow on my car and about 1/2" inch of solid ice underneath that! I find out that my snow brush is stuck in my trunk which is stuck because it is frozen. So I use my bare hands to wipe the snow away. It is like 9:30am before I can open the trunk. By this time I have probably wasted a gallon of gas just on heating the car!

I get to the windshield and it is a brick. On top of that I keep slipping on the ground because apparently Sochi has moved to our neighborhood parking lot in the way of figure skating!

It is 9:35am and I have finally made my car drivable. About 1 foot of viewing area on my windshield and I hit the accelerator. You know that ice I was mentioning? Well my car doesn't like it either.

I'm flooring the car and going nowhere. I'm on level pavement by the way. I almost give up but no!

TODAY I AM GOING TO WORK!

I finally start a rocking motion while twisting and turning my steering wheel and I finally get free of the space that held me prisoner for almost 30 minutes! I get to work at 9:50am and now I'm reading emails.
Glad to know you are having a great day!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Probably.

I also don't understand the run on snow shovels every single year. What do people do with the ones they bought last year?
The shaft on ours broke with this last storm. Home Despot decided to stop carrying them for the rest of the season--seriously, no more shovels since early February. So I went to our local hardware store and got one first thing the other morning.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:24 PM

529 posts, read 750,223 times
My neighborhood's sidewalks, school bus stop area look very bad. It's not going to get better by tomorrow morning. The bad thing is that it's uphill to go the bus stop and it's all icy, just image how bad it will be when you somehow made it to the stop and when you come back in the downhill.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The shaft on ours broke with this last storm. Home Despot decided to stop carrying them for the rest of the season--seriously, no more shovels since early February. So I went to our local hardware store and got one first thing the other morning.
I understand the breaking part but you've seen the news stories every single year, not all of those people break theirs.

I just counted and have 9. Of course a few of those go in various vehicles depending on the circumstances.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
I only have one shovel, a cheap plastic one. I'm really living on the wild side. Before the next storm I'm going to stampede the local hardware store and buy a couple more. Preferably a heavy steel one so I can really knock the ice off my wife's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia