Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
I do not understand why people freak out over this down here! I grew up in Upstate New York (near Buffalo & Rochester). That would be nothing up there, just another winter snowfall. I'm really astounded that the night before schools down here close without even seeing what may or may not come, especially since this storm isn't predicted to really come down until after 3pm, after school is out. In general this pseudo-panic that erupts in this area over any accumulation is ridiculous. Just don't drive, don't go out in it and leave the driving to those who can handle the weather. In New York we drive the speed limit or over in weather like what is predicted! And I still do, so it really frustrates me when I get behind people crawling needlessly on the roads. The number one thing to remember is don't be afraid of the weather or it will get the best of you!
I'm from upstate NY too, and it's just not the same. In NY I'd go out and drive in this without hesitation, and nothing would be closed, but: 1-the roads would be well-treated, all of them and 2 - there would be lots of snowplows and emergency vehicles and helpful citizens with big trucks and chains on the roads helping people out in case something went wrong, and finally - I wouldn't be driving my crappy front wheel drive car with worn tires in the middle of winter up there; I'd have a truck or at least good tires. Down here a lot of roads are untreated and there aren't enough snowplows to keep them all clear (during Snowmaggedon we waited at least a week for a single plow), and there isn't anyone out there patrolling roads, ready to help you when you get stuck. Even if you get stuck in a populated area, there probably won't be a guy with a huge truck and tow gear ready to pull you out - you'll be lucky if the neighbors have shovels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 12:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
"The only things you can count on in life is death and taxes"

I would add a third....listening to all the courageous and highly skilled drivers from ________ (fill in the cold and snowy economic wasteland they're from) call us wusses every time it snows.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
At this point today I can pretty much count on the mail not being delivered and no trash pick up.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
At this point today I can pretty much count on the mail not being delivered and no trash pick up.
Our mail just came, and the mail truck spent a good 3-4 minutes in front of our house, trying to get the truck to go up the hill to the next home. Wheels kept spinning, but the truck wasn't moving. He finally got to the next house where he had to go through the same thing.

Our dog had a field day barking at his prolonged appearance, but it would lead me to believe that mail delivery will be significantly late at many houses today.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Our mail just came, and the mail truck spent a good 3-4 minutes in front of our house, trying to get the truck to go up the hill to the next home. Wheels kept spinning, but the truck wasn't moving. He finally got to the next house where he had to go through the same thing.

Our dog had a field day barking at his prolonged appearance, but it would lead me to believe that mail delivery will be significantly late at many houses today.
I stand corrected. It was delivered just a bit ago.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

They use the same trucks (technically "Long-Life Vehicles") up in New England. They were apparently designed somewhere in the Southwest--hence the AL bodies (by Grumman) and RWD. But in VT, they put weights in the back, over the rear wheels. And the streets are plowed and salted rigorously. I delivered mail in the snow all the time. (The worst thing was unswept, painted wooden steps; they're like an ice rink if they have snow on them.)

Our mailman delivered ours today. I didn't see how he did on the road, though.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
"The only things you can count on in life is death and taxes"

I would add a third....listening to all the courageous and highly skilled drivers from ________ (fill in the cold and snowy economic wasteland they're from) call us wusses every time it snows.
Gets old doesn't it. I hear the same thing from my relatives in Minnesota. Of course they forget they have equipment that puts ours to shame when it comes to snow removal. I also see some of these relatives in both Minnesota and upstate NY bitching and moaning on Facebook about the horrible drivers there in snowy/icy weather.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Haven't see the mail yet, but fedex was just here.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,672 times
There are only a couple of inches at best out my PW front door. I just swept the steps and shoveled the sidewalk. Whew, light and fluffy but I'm way out of shape.
What I dread is sometime tonight the snowplow contractor is going to come through and plow perfectly drivable snow into a wall of ice chunks right behind my car that will freeze solid overnight. It takes a *****xe to get through that stuff.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:42 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
What I dread is sometime tonight the snowplow contractor is going to come through and plow perfectly drivable snow into a wall of ice chunks right behind my car that will freeze solid overnight. It takes a *****xe to get through that stuff.
Lol! They came through here an hour ago and I =immediately=, remembering the LAST snow, ran outside and easily shoveled the remains away from the entrance to my driveway.

Snow's still falling, though, and there is no evidence of plowing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia