Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 05:57 AM

9 posts, read 16,189 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are relocating to the above-mentioned area in a few months from Pittsburgh, as my husband works in NoVa. The development we are looking at is Snowden Bridge. My 3 y/o son has PDD-NOS (low on the Autism Spectrum) and would be attending the Frederick Co. Public school system (Stonewall ES, to be exact, I think). Ive spoken to the Director of SpEd in the school district, and the intake coordinator at Northwestern Regional Eduation Center to get a feel for their available services, processes, etc. I was hoping there may be some parents on the forum from that area who, perhaps with a SN child, who may be able to share their experiences, thoughts, anything on the school district/area. Good and unpleasant welcome!!

Having lived in the area prior to children, and doing my research I know FCPS is the place to be with excellent services. As a family of 5, that may not be so realistic. As any parent of a SN child knows, its nerve racking to say the least about going to a new environment where you wont know the caliber of services until you receive them. I will also say my son functions very well and loves school; his biggest delay is verbalization. At 3, he is just beginning to use words (signs effectively). Im ever so grateful!

Thanks for reading and your replies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Glad you are taking good care of your children. Northern Virginia means different things to different people.
When most hear Northern Virginia as a place of employment, one thinks of the Tysons/Reston region. Don't think living north of Winchester would be practical as a twice-daily drive. Am I missing something?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Glad you are taking good care of your children. Northern Virginia means different things to different people.
When most hear Northern Virginia as a place of employment, one thinks of the Tysons/Reston region. Don't think living north of Winchester would be practical as a twice-daily drive. Am I missing something?
I think you are missing that the OP is asking about autism education in Winchester, and not about commuting to Tysons Corner.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:45 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I think you are missing that the OP is asking about autism education in Winchester, and not about commuting to Tysons Corner.
Good thing I asked. Sounds like she has the education part figured out.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM

9 posts, read 16,189 times
Yes, I was curious more of the education, experiences, etc. My husband visits different sites daily along the dulles corridor. The commute coming from that part of Rte. 7 doesn't bother him, as traffic moves, and he has a pretty flex schedule.

Thank you for your response anyhow. Sorry, my computer wont let me quote message for some reason....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia