Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously? You think the main draw of living along the Orange line and Old Town is the lack of yards? What about walkability, amenities, easy access to DC? Those might actually be the draws. And just because someone may not desire a yard in no way means they would necessarily ignore one if they had it. Gee, comparing couples I know without children to those with, the best yards, hands down, goes to those without children. My guess is that they have more free time to spend on it.
You're misreading what I'm saying (or I said it utterly wrong). "Not caring or wanting a yard" is utterly unprovable.

BUT ... They care about the other things you mention -- the lack of a yard doesn't put them off places they can afford in Orange Line Arlington, Old Town Alexandria, etc.

A large number of families are similarly put off by the lack of a yard and so eschew living there.

Of course, DINKs/singletons that want a yard can get one -- they can buy further out or buy in a place like Annandale. And yes, they have the time (and $$$) to devote to their yards.

In neighborhoods where the houses have substantial yards (like 0.07-08 acres?), there will be a lower percentage of DINKs/singletons than in "DINK/singleton heavens" like Orange Line Arlington/Old Town Alexandria.

Of course, there's a medium ground to be found between the lower levels you'd get in a place like Ashburn Village and the very high levels you'd get in the various residential highrises along Orange Line Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM

107 posts, read 154,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Of course, DINKs/singletons that want a yard can get one -- they can buy further out or buy in a place like Annandale. And yes, they have the time (and $$$) to devote to their yards.
The idea of having to move to Annandale to get a decent yard is upsetting.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Quote:
Not having kids often corresponds to not caring or wanting a yard. So, they live in places like Orange Line Arlington, downtown DC and thereabouts, and Old Town Alexandria -- where they don't have to deal with yardwork at all.
We live on the Orange Line and have a pretty good-sized yard, which we love. Makes things quieter, more pastoral. It's great to see trees out the window instead of the hind end of some McMansion looming. We also like it for our dog. We have child-free neighbors who also have yards--and the same was true in our old neighborhood (also on the OL). A lot of folks like some green space just for their own enjoyment.

I wonder if by "Orange Line," you're meaning right on top of one of the stations. My understanding of the term is anywhere along the route, even between stations (as we are).

Old 02-04-2014, 11:20 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
The idea of having to move to Annandale to get a decent yard is upsetting.
How much is decent? For a quarter-acre, you'd either have to live South Arlington far away from a Metro line, or in uppermost North Arlington (also far from Metro). You had said Metro access was something you wanted, right?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
How much is decent? For a quarter-acre, you'd either have to live South Arlington far away from a Metro line, or in uppermost North Arlington (also far from Metro). You had said Metro access was something you wanted, right?
Maybe 8000 sq ft minimum would do. I think 1/4 acre close-in is an impossible dream. Honestly, it depends on the yard and if it could be made private. I saw one house that although it had good space, sat at the bottom of a hill with houses around and above it. There was no way that yard could become an unobserved space.

No, I don't care about Metro access. I drive in to DC for work.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Our lot is I think 6600 SF or so. Our front yard is fairly small, but I think you would be surprised at the size of our backyard.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 AM

367 posts, read 884,576 times
I would say if the yard is so important to go 10 more minutes out and get the land you want and spend less! Since you have no children whats a little extra drive time. Personally in your shoes I would live downtown and say a less stress commute and be near everything but the yard seems #1 on your list.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv101010 View Post
I would say if the yard is so important to go 10 more minutes out and get the land you want and spend less! Since you have no children whats a little extra drive time. Personally in your shoes I would live downtown and say a less stress commute and be near everything but the yard seems #1 on your list.
A yard is very important, not #1, but very important. A not more than half hour commute is very important too though. I'd live in Georgetown if my budget was nearer 2 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia