U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 8,709 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are considering buying a home off of Graham Rd near Graham Elementary in the Tyler Park neighborhood of Falls Church. I am wondering if anyone can provide feedback on the area - numbers of young families, neighborhood feel, rate of re-building/re-development in the area, etc. We'd like to find a nice, safe neighborhood that is family friendly, homes under $525k, but still doesn't have an impossible commute to DC. (The impossible dream!)

Thanks!
Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:48 AM

60 posts, read 69,740 times
This is a really good question. I like the way you worded it. Sometimes it's hard to get all those "ideal" wants into one thread I am with you in searching for the "Impossible Dream" west of DC.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:20 PM

540 posts, read 641,421 times
We have a set of friends that live in Tyler Park with a 1 year old. They generally like it, and have good relationship with some of their neighbors. We looked there, but ended up not being fans of the cape cods that were available at the time. There is a significant amount of diversity in the neighborhood, which some view as good and some as bad. That neighborhood was hit pretty hard by foreclosures in 2008-09 especially. Housing prices have recovered a good bit, as I'm sure you've noticed. Graham Road Elementary is a diverse school, but is very well regarded as far as I know. Location is fantastic, of course. Suburban, but pretty close to everything you could want.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 6,078 times
Tyler Park is a decent area. Its heavily Latino, but pretty friendly overall. Very easy access to the major highways too. It has a lot of houses with additions on them, so its difficult to say what the re-sale value would be in a few years if you are sandwiched between two houses that haven't been updated in 50+ years.
There are several families in the neighborhood and they have a nice Park (Tyler Park) with a great gazebo and basketball courts.
FYI Graham Road ES is not a great school...Look at the ratings and reviews. They almost closed it down a few years ago.
I would strongly suggest you drive by the neighborhood at night (as my realtor suggested to us years ago) to get a good "feel" about the area either positive or negative.
Have you considered looking across Lee Hwy. in Donna Lee Gardens or Greenway Downs? Their schools are MUCH better and even have some in the McLean school district. These are literally across the street from Tyler Park. Houses are older, but also have a lot of additions and upgrades happening.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,637,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klnash77 View Post
Tyler Park is a decent area. Its heavily Latino, but pretty friendly overall. Very easy access to the major highways too. It has a lot of houses with additions on them, so its difficult to say what the re-sale value would be in a few years if you are sandwiched between two houses that haven't been updated in 50+ years.
There are several families in the neighborhood and they have a nice Park (Tyler Park) with a great gazebo and basketball courts.
FYI Graham Road ES is not a great school...Look at the ratings and reviews. They almost closed it down a few years ago.
I would strongly suggest you drive by the neighborhood at night (as my realtor suggested to us years ago) to get a good "feel" about the area either positive or negative.
Have you considered looking across Lee Hwy. in Donna Lee Gardens or Greenway Downs? Their schools are MUCH better and even have some in the McLean school district. These are literally across the street from Tyler Park. Houses are older, but also have a lot of additions and upgrades happening.
I don't think there was ever a discussion about closing down Graham Road ES. There was a debate as to whether to renovate the old building, which sits on a very small plot of land, or move to a brand-new building up Graham Road. The School Board decided to build a new school, even though some argued that one benefit of the old building was that it was within walking distance of most students and their families.

At one point, Graham Road got tons of publicity because it was heavily low-income and the students were getting great scores on standardized tests. The principal was interviewed frequently by the Washington Post and other organizations about the school's success and her approach. She has since retired, and the test scores may have gone down since then, but I still don't recall any discussion about closing it down.

Last edited by JD984; 01-31-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! We are pretty sure we want to do Catholic school (not 100%, I'm one of those liberal Catholics and I had a great experience in Catholic school growing up in Baltimore. So, I'd like to have my kids experience the same but if it seems like the schools around here are more dogmatic, we might change our minds. But I guess that would sort of surprise me in NoVA.) That being said, we have an infant, so it's not an immediate concern.

I am more concerned about the safety of the area. I've only seen petty crimes on the websites I've looked at (wallet stolen from a shop, guitar stolen from a car, etc.), which I think happens almost anywhere except the parts of North Arlington that we can't afford! I would also like to know that there are other young families in the area, and that people are friendly. I would have loved to buy somewhere like Holmes Run but it is just out of our budget for right now. So, I don't know. We'd like to find something with younger families and a friendly feel.

I did look in Devonshire Gardens and didn't see anything in our budget (that's 22046, right?) and only found one thing in Greenway Downs that is a total teardown, which would be tough with an infant. I will keep looking though! Thanks for the responses and I also appreciate future responses! I'm very indecisive and this is a huge decision so I am dragging my feet and driving my husband nuts!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,585,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrascona View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! We are pretty sure we want to do Catholic school (not 100%, I'm one of those liberal Catholics and I had a great experience in Catholic school growing up in Baltimore. So, I'd like to have my kids experience the same but if it seems like the schools around here are more dogmatic, we might change our minds. But I guess that would sort of surprise me in NoVA.) That being said, we have an infant, so it's not an immediate concern.s!
Congratulations. The Diocese of Arlington is one of the Country's most conservative diocese.

Children are taught strictly about LGBT, Women Priests, Abortion and Contraceptives.

The Boys Scouts, who now allow gay children, have a one year stay in the Diocese. Should Gay grownups be allowed to lead in Boy Scouts, Bishop Loverde will cut all diocesan ties to the group. Similarly, Girls Scouts due to there aggressive education/monetary donations to Planned Parenthood, are not allowed.

I suggest if you are Episcopalian in belief and not Solid Catholic (aka: Cafeteria Catholic: the Host is not God/Gay&woman priests are fine/Birth control is ok by you/don't do Confession),

you should look into the many fine Episcopalian Private schools as this Diocese is way too conservative for you.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:25 PM

Thanks? I don't really consider myself not a "solid Catholic." I consider myself someone who actually lives by the teachings of the bible, rather than one who picks and choses scripture to justify intolerance. But, that's fairly far off the original topic of this post. Like I said, I have a new born. We have 6 years before we'd need to make any school related decisions. I would certainly be open to Episcopalian schools as well. I like the idea of my son having some exposure to religion, and I grew up K-12 Catholic school and turned out this way, so I don't necessarily think it's impossible to find.

I can't tell if your post is sarcastically frustrated at me or at the diocese. If towards me, well, I don't think it's very Christian to judge others, which is why I consider myself a liberal Catholic. If towards the diocese, well, I share your frustrations there, although I will admit that I've attended mass fairly regularly at St. Agnes and have not found it to be as judgmental as you suggest. And lots of times I think the best way to enact change is from within. But, ultimately, we have several years before this will become an issue.

But anyway, that's well off the topic of my original post. Thanks for the input on the schools, though.

Last edited by hrascona; 01-31-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more

Old 01-31-2014, 03:43 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,637,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrascona View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! We are pretty sure we want to do Catholic school (not 100%, I'm one of those liberal Catholics and I had a great experience in Catholic school growing up in Baltimore. So, I'd like to have my kids experience the same but if it seems like the schools around here are more dogmatic, we might change our minds. But I guess that would sort of surprise me in NoVA.) That being said, we have an infant, so it's not an immediate concern.

I am more concerned about the safety of the area. I've only seen petty crimes on the websites I've looked at (wallet stolen from a shop, guitar stolen from a car, etc.), which I think happens almost anywhere except the parts of North Arlington that we can't afford! I would also like to know that there are other young families in the area, and that people are friendly. I would have loved to buy somewhere like Holmes Run but it is just out of our budget for right now. So, I don't know. We'd like to find something with younger families and a friendly feel.

I did look in Devonshire Gardens and didn't see anything in our budget (that's 22046, right?) and only found one thing in Greenway Downs that is a total teardown, which would be tough with an infant. I will keep looking though! Thanks for the responses and I also appreciate future responses! I'm very indecisive and this is a huge decision so I am dragging my feet and driving my husband nuts!
You might also look in Annandale/22003. I think the Columbia Pines neighborhood compares favorably with Tyler Park; it's not too much further from DC; and there are Catholic schools (such as St. Michael's) in the area:

3811 Ridge Rd, Annandale, VA 22003 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM

thanks JEB77! Our realtor is actually taking us there and to sanford court tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or