Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 4,506 times

Advertisements

Good day everyone!

I am looking for apartment somewhere in PWC area. Can anyone tell what to look out for before committing on moving in since this is my first time getting a place on my own. I am looking for 3 bedroom apartments with off street parking(preferably). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM

6,526 posts, read 8,325,220 times
1.) Request to view the exact apartment you wish to rent. Not a "similar" or model apartment.

2.) View the apartment at a time when most of your neighbors will be home. This will give you an idea of the community and the noise level to expect.

3.) There will be noise as you will share walls (sometimes thin) with your neighbors. If you're sensitive to noise, rent a top floor unit to eliminate upstairs neighbors.

4.) Be considerate of your neighbors. Here is a thread on apartment etiquette in the renting forum: Apartment Living Etiquette

3.) Make sure you thoroughly read and understand the lease before signing it.

4.) Know your rights as a tenant. http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/Homeles...t_Handbook.pdf

5.) Do an inspection of the unit at move-in with the LL/Property Manager and document in writing any issues you notice. Any stains on the carpet, missing or broken blinds, damaged or non-working appliances, leaks, etc. Keep a copy for yourself and give a copy to the LL.

What part of PWC?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 4,506 times
Thanks a lot!

I'm planing to stay in Woodbridge area since its near where I work.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM

6,526 posts, read 8,325,220 times
I typically recommend folks to check out Springwoods at Lake Ridge. I live near there, and it appears to be a decent complex from outward appearances. But they have only 1 & 2 bedroom apartments.

And then there are the County Center Crossing apartments. Which are new and appear to be nice: Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial

Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM

254 posts, read 421,980 times
I've been to several apartments and townhouses from during college to now. This is your only guide you will ever need and taking it from someone that has experienced:

1) Noise
2) Bugs of all types in different geographical areas
3) Neighbors
4) Squirrels in the wall
5) Mold
6) Broken appliances
7) Dirty carpets
8) Stolen porch lightbulbs
9) Car hit in parking lot by other car
10) Destroyed mail

Yeah been there, done that. Still alive hahA!

Anyways, assuming you know what you want to pay and where you want to live, the first thing to do is to look at EVERYTHING. Look where you would not normally look. Why? Because that is where no one else probably looks and probably NOT CLEANED.

How I get mold? I found it in the window sill - which wasn't shown!

How I get squirrels living in my bedroom wall while in college? I didn't think to check the wall!

Check corners. Check where you are BETTING no one cleans or checks. Forget about the big picture. We are looking at the small picture. Underneath kitchen cabinets. INSIDE kitchen cabinets.

Check the way doors close. Are they flush? Is that screen door letting bugs in? Are there holes in it? How about the corners of the room? You see spiders? Check my older thread on here where I showed this forum what REAL SPIDERS ARE!

Check the bathroom! Check underneath the toilet. Check in the toilet! Check behind the toilet. Check the shower. Check the crevices! Check the mirrors! Check on top of the mirrors!

Don't let the light bulbs blind you! Turn them off and check for dust. Better yet! Turn them on and see if you see bugs hiding there. Check that big light fixture in your kitchen! You probably see bugs there too!

Check appliances. Check the layout. Check if fresh paint is covering other bigger problems!

Check the refrigerator! Check behind it! Check where you think bugs would be if you were a bug!

The apartment will see like just walls and carpet. But don't let the landlord rush you! They want your business but don't want you to find something!

FIND SOMETHING!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM

491 posts, read 1,166,983 times
Similar to Hokie's second suggestion: You want to see the place when residents typically get home from work and also a few hours later (like 10 p.m. or so), if you want to really see what off-street parking looks like and whether you might have problems finding a space either close enough or within OK walking distance w/good lighting -- and whether streetlamps are working or not. You can only tell this by being there at night. Also, some neighborhoods might require you to get a resident street-parking tag -- I think some jurisdictions charge for this. The City of Alexandria might -- so you'll want to research that. And I wouldn't take the landlord's or leasing agent's word for this -- they just want a renter to sign on the dotted line.

If you happen to see some residents nearby while you're looking at an apartment, ask them about whether they've had any issues that the landlord hasn't resolved and whether they're satisfied living there.

Also: Check the doorlock(s) -- is it sufficient? Check the water pressure -- run the shower for minute (see how fast the hot water kicks in), flush the toilet. Check that windows open and shut properly.

On a lease: Read it carefully and see how much early termination would cost you (in case you experience a few things that Mike mentioned). If for some reason you might add a roommate or a sleepover 'friend,' look to see if that gives your landlord the right to add extra to the monthly rate.

And realize that even solo landlords -- not just complex's leasing agents -- can run credit checks on you. You'll probably have to sign something if you give a deposit, and that gives them the right.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,753,319 times
Noise. Noiseeee. So many noisy tenents, and so many units with paper thin walls. Some people have higher tolerances than others, but if you take anything other than a top floor, corner unit, you're taking a very noisy bet. I've had good luck with older apartment buildings vs new ones, but older doesn't always mean quieter.

If you work a 9-5 schedule, definitely check out parking. Street parking and parking lots in many areas fill up, and unless you change your schedule or can pay extra for an assigned spot, you could be looking at very long walk after your commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
1.) Request to view the exact apartment you wish to rent. Not a "similar" or model apartment.
You'd be surprised on how much push back you get when you ask this. It IS possible, but you can run the risk of losing out on a unit if you insist beyond their reluctance.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:30 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,376,339 times
The apartments in Westridge are really nice, it's a quiet neighborhood with lots activities like trails and such. A friend of mine lived there and she loved it, the only drawback is its about 10 or 15 minutes to get to coming off the exit, if you're not commuting too far that may not be much of an issue. I know they have 1 and 2 BR, not too sure about 3.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,157,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm27 View Post
Good day everyone!

I am looking for apartment somewhere in PWC area. Can anyone tell what to look out for before committing on moving in since this is my first time getting a place on my own. I am looking for 3 bedroom apartments with off street parking(preferably). Thanks in advance.

Look for RESERVED PARKING. There is nothing worse than coming home and not finding a place to park because the complex is full of work vehicles and taxi cabs because the residents drive them home at night.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,986,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I typically recommend folks to check out Springwoods at Lake Ridge. I live near there, and it appears to be a decent complex from outward appearances. But they have only 1 & 2 bedroom apartments.

And then there are the County Center Crossing apartments. Which are new and appear to be nice: Kettler | DC-Metro Area | Apartments, Condos, Communities & Commercial
I lived in Springwoods years ago. It was very nice. Minimal noise issues, and competent management. Of course, it was a long time ago (10-15 years ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia