Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 AM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
A third of 95 Express Lanes drivers are carpooling - The Washington Post

Interesting information. I'm actually kind of surprised that only 1/3 of the traffic in the express lanes are HOV. Probably because of all the non-rush hour people on weekends, etc paying.
I'm not. Previously there were a large number of single driver hybrids using the lanes who now have to pay tolls or actually carpool. Add in the fact that there's one new lane that is go to be entirely new non-carpoolers, then 1/3rd makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 12:36 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I'm not. Previously there were a large number of single driver hybrids using the lanes who now have to pay tolls or actually carpool. Add in the fact that there's one new lane that is go to be entirely new non-carpoolers, then 1/3rd makes sense.
I forgot about the hybrid drivers, but I imagine they were a pretty small proportion. It's been almost 9 years since new hyrbid drivers could use the 95/395 HOV lanes.

On the bright side, it's much better than the carpooling rate on the 495 express lanes of 7%.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
A third of 95 Express Lanes drivers are carpooling - The Washington Post

Interesting information. I'm actually kind of surprised that only 1/3 of the traffic in the express lanes are HOV. Probably because of all the non-rush hour people on weekends, etc paying.
If you have 3 or more in a vehicle, it's free, even on weekends. I'm sure the numbers for hov cars is lower on weekends but all cars on weekends are lower. Often the lanes are a ghost town. I've seen it at one car per half mile, dismal if VDOT is looking to make a profit. For weekends, VDOT is counting on volume or a wreck to push the inclination of drivers into HOT lanes.

Today we saw a record or at least close to it. The rates were $7.50 from Woodbridge to 610 this afternoon. Not seen it that high.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
If you have 3 or more in a vehicle, it's free, even on weekends. I'm sure the numbers for hov cars is lower on weekends but all cars on weekends are lower. Often the lanes are a ghost town. I've seen it at one car per half mile, dismal if VDOT is looking to make a profit. For weekends, VDOT is counting on volume or a wreck to push the inclination of drivers into HOT lanes.

Today we saw a record or at least close to it. The rates were $7.50 from Woodbridge to 610 this afternoon. Not seen it that high.
I don't think VDOT is getting that money. It's the private firm TransUrban who gets it. I am sure that VDOT and the state now just get some sort of stipend to patrol and maintain the road.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't think VDOT is getting that money. It's the private firm TransUrban who gets it. I am sure that VDOT and the state now just get some sort of stipend to patrol and maintain the road.
Agreed but ultimately, if the contractor doesn't make a profit, VDot has to make up the difference. The contracts for the 495 HOT lanes and 95 have a clause that basically promises a minimum if the minimum threshold isn't met. I hope that threshold is publicly available but on this basis is why I mentioned that VDot is praying for a profit.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:18 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Agreed but ultimately, if the contractor doesn't make a profit, VDot has to make up the difference. The contracts for the 495 HOT lanes and 95 have a clause that basically promises a minimum if the minimum threshold isn't met. I hope that threshold is publicly available but on this basis is why I mentioned that VDot is praying for a profit.
They'll probably get it. I have been "impressed" with the high use of these lanes in comparison to the 495 lanes. I have no idea if the usage is meeting expectations but they certainly seem busy enough. The last few weeks (early morning), the HOT lanes population has been robust and the majority appear to be single riders.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:20 AM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
Quote:
I forgot about the hybrid drivers, but I imagine they were a pretty small proportion. It's been almost 9 years since new hyrbid drivers could use the 95/395 HOV lanes.

On the bright side, it's much better than the carpooling rate on the 495 express lanes of 7%.
I used to drive against traffic on both 395 and 66, and can anecdotally say that Hybrids probably made up at least 1/4th to 1/3rd of the traffic in the HOV lanes. Instead of paying tolls, the Hybrid owners basically did(do) the same by buying a more expensive vehicle that gets a little better gas mileage.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM

Default wrong charge on EZ pass

Well as expected, reviewing the charges on my EZ pass and even though I carpool and set my EZ pass to HOV, today I was charged $2.90 for traveling on the HOT lanes. Even better, the time was 15 min AFTER I was in my driveway. I specifically looked at the truck clock when I pulled into the driveway. Already sent off an email thru the website. Only description was listed as "entrance 1", whatever that means. Could be a bad sensor, bad reader, bad software, who knows. Recommend a routine check on your accounts but how often do you remember when you depart the HOT lanes? This process is bound to have more errors.

On another note, seeing way more single drivers north of Edsall road (without the hybrid plates). Cannot remember the last time saw a state police near the Pentagon checking for single drivers.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
Quote:
Well as expected, reviewing the charges on my EZ pass and even though I carpool and set my EZ pass to HOV, today I was charged $2.90 for traveling on the HOT lanes. Even better, the time was 15 min AFTER I was in my driveway. I specifically looked at the truck clock when I pulled into the driveway. Already sent off an email thru the website. Only description was listed as "entrance 1", whatever that means. Could be a bad sensor, bad reader, bad software, who knows. Recommend a routine check on your accounts but how often do you remember when you depart the HOT lanes? This process is bound to have more errors.

On another note, seeing way more single drivers north of Edsall road (without the hybrid plates). Cannot remember the last time saw a state police near the Pentagon checking for single drivers.
Have you used the HOT setting at all recently? EZ pass doesn't always hit your account instantly, it can take days.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Have you used the HOT setting at all recently? EZ pass doesn't always hit your account instantly, it can take days.
Good question. I always leave my EZ pass on HOV and flip it maybe once a month. Basically I always pick up and travel on HOT lanes. Yesterday I again traveled in HOV status and happened to check the account last night. The charge for yesterday wa already on the account. The online account reflects each day you use the EZ pass so it seemed odd that my account was updated the same day but that I was charged to travel (EZ pass was and is set to HOV) AND that the time listed for my charge was 15 min after I arrived at home. Maybe someone hacked my EZ pass. Something is not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia