U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 18,436 times

Advertisements

Quick question, any help would be great. I recently graduated with my Masters in New York State. I saw a job opening in Prince William County Schools so I applied. My references told me they were contacted and then I received a call from HR. They asked if I was able to come down to a 1 day only pre-employment screening for which I had to sign up for a 30 minute slot. They said they knew I was coming from New York. My question is, is this worth going down for? I definitely would like to work there next year, but I want to make sure they are seriously interested in me before I book a hotel and drive down from NY for a 30 minute meeting. I am questioning this because I have also signed up for a recruitment fair in upstate New York that are 30 minute interviews with school districts from all over the country and Prince William is attending that. Am I ahead of the game because I applied and they contacted me to come down and meet with them or is it no different than if I met with them at the job fair? Thanks!

Also, for any who can opine..how are the schools in Prince William County? Good place to teach? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM

21 posts, read 29,994 times
It's a good start---that you probably passed pre-screen and they're interested in getting the ball rolling for you. What they're asking is standard procedure for public employees.

A few years back my wife had to go through the same pre-employment screen for a temp. teaching job when we got married and she was relocating 200+ miles. She eventually got the job.

Some months later she applied again for a full time job in another district, but we had a family emergency and requested a reschedule. The HR person said no, either you show up at the scheduled time, or your files got thrown out. This was in California, so perhaps this was one way they eliminated applicants.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the response. Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience with Prince William County Schools?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 18,329 times
I can only give my own experience. Some years ago, I attended a teacher job fair up north and a number of schools districts from Maryland and Northern Virginia were there. At the time of this particular job fair, I already had an early hire offer from Fairfax County Public Schools but, I wanted to see what else was out there. At this job fair Prince William County Schools had a booth. The representive took my résumé, put it in a pile and told me to apply online. I did not understand their purpose of being at this job fair because they showed no interest in talking to any one. At this job fair I ended up with a contract offer from Alexandria City Public Schools and some district in Maryland. I am still surprised by PWCS lack of interest in the the candidates at this particular fair.

So from my own experience, I would not get excited about the fact that PWCS will be at your local job fair. Depending on who PWCS sends, you may get no where.

My recommendation to you would be to go for it. Come on down to Prince William. I do not believe they would have checked your references if they were not interested. Even if it turns out to be not what you thought, you at least get to see the area. I believe that you would be just starting back at square one if you turn down the current interview offer and hope that the job fair will turn into an interview.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the response. I totally agree, at least I can check out the area and gain some interview experience. I can't justify turning down an invited interview in the current teaching market. I have decided to go, so I will see what it is all about. I'm hoping it is a worthwhile experience.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Follow up to my previous post. I went to the interview and it was a complete waste of time. There were a ton of other candidates and I met with a guy for about 20 minutes. He then proceeded to tell me to follow up with principals of schools where I see openings in the future. If you are interested in me, you should be recommending me to these schools with openings. I should not have to be looking for jobs when I already interviewed. I have emailed these principals once the jobs were posted and have heard nothing. Even if I do hear something, I am positive I will have to go down and interview with these specific schools. Why did they waste my time in having me come down from New York for a pointless interview and then just tell me to keep submitting. Complete waste.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,758 times
Hi, I live in Puerto Rico two weeks ago I was interviewed by phone for an elementary position in Alexandria VA, I thought that I passed the interview because the next day the principal called me and told me tha I did a nice interview and to wait for human resources' call. The next day, the school subprincipal called my actual principal asking for references (he told me that he gave excellent references ), but it had been almost two weeks and I have not received any messages or phone calls from human resources :-(

Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,758 times
Somebody knows how long take Human Resources to contact you?

Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 AM

518 posts, read 784,332 times
No idea, I recommend being proactive and contacting them yourself.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,641,778 times
There is something broken with their hiring process. My wife has applied to jobs at PWCS before and gets very little consideration so when she started applying to non-teaching jobs, administrators looked at her resume and stated that she should be in a classroom and that she had excellent credentials as a teacher, yet no one gave her that chance. I think they need to reconfigure their hiring process. It seems to be inconsistent and inefficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia