Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,219 times

Advertisements

I'm a new college grad possibly moving to the Dulles area for a job. Any recommendations for 1br apartments?

When I was in the area I looked at a few apartments near the Dulles Town Center and Ashburn, they were nice but a little pricey ~$1100-1300. Any areas that are more inexpensive for renting, ideally within 30min of Dulles during rush hour? I'm not very familiar with the area so I want to make sure I end up in a relatively safe area.

Thanks!

Last edited by david_111; 12-02-2007 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,984,455 times
Hi,

That is a nice area and is surrounding by nice suburbs - Sterling, Potomac Falls, Leesburg, Chantilly, Herndon. Just a few thoughts -

o some of these highly managed apartment complexes are going to be the very most expensive. I don't want to name names, but you know, the kind with ads at Dulles Town Center, the franchises. If you can look beyond these obvious options, you might find prices that are a few hundred lower.

o you might consider getting a roommate - you will end up in a much, much nicer apartment and location.

o just ... double check each location and apartment complex with the folks here ... you are looking at a lovely and affluent area overall, but you want to avoid a bad pocket or a bad complex.

I usually recommend the apartmentratings website (just google "apartments in sterling" or anything and it will come up) but I'm starting to wonder about a lot of the comments on that site. If you're living in a nice complex, but the manager is rude one day, does it really warrant a terrible review (versus some horrible place with roaches?). But I would probably do the same thing!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:41 AM

184 posts, read 489,616 times
Unfortunately, yes, this area really is just that expensive. I'm not too familiar with the Dulles area pricing, so hopefully there's something you could find a bit cheaper.

If you look on craigs list, there are usually condos being rented out by private owners. These tend to be nicer and a little less expensive.

You can also look for apartments that have special deals. Sometimes you can get one month's rent free, and they'll spread this out over the whole year, making your overall rent lower.

Good luck with the search.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,360,050 times
I would say that $1100/month for a one bedroom is to be expected in this area. You may be able to shave $50-100 off of that monthly rent if you really look hard. I know that some of the complexes in Ashburn Village go for a little under $1100/month. If you were to look in Ashburn, I can say with near 100% certainty that you'd wind up in a perfectly decent apartment. Ashburn is uniformly squeaky clean and there isn't anything remotely resembling a bad (or even slightly rough) area. If you venture out towards Leesburg, you can find a few for under $1000. Ditto for some complexes in Sterling, but I'd be leery of those, Sterling moreso than Leesburg. Keep plugging away at the online apartment search engines and look at the towns that goldenmom recommended. You definitely can find one bedrooms for under $1100/month within a 30 minute commute, but unfortunately, it's not going to fall much below that.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,316,148 times
You might look in Centreville or Chantilly. Those areas are newer in the last 15 years or so, but not brand spanking new and might be asking a little less in rent than the brand new developments. Many, many people in the area share apts in NoVa. It is just too expensive to do it alone.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:49 PM

184 posts, read 489,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
You might look in Centreville or Chantilly. Those areas are newer in the last 15 years or so, but not brand spanking new and might be asking a little less in rent than the brand new developments. Many, many people in the area share apts in NoVa. It is just too expensive to do it alone.
I don't know about Chantilly, but Centreville rent is starting at about $1100 for a 1BR as well.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,951,216 times
Try the Remington Apartments near the Dulles Town Center. Last time I looked they had a 1 bedroom for $950. Probably finding a roommate to share the expense of a 2 bedroom apartment would keep the cost per person down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia