U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: NoVA
22 posts, read 75,452 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Hi,

I like the speed of Verizon FIOS internet, but would like the higher capacity DVR and Dish Anywhere TV viewing capability with Dish Network. Does anyone have their homes setup for FIOS Internet but Dish for satellite TV? If so, are the coaxial cable runs completely separate or were the installers able to somehow make the satellite signal run over the existing internal coaxial cable running through the house?

My closest comparable example is the Verizon DSL with DirecTV satellite where the internet came in through the telephone copper pair into the DSL modem and the satellite TV was brought in and connected to the internal coaxial cable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,104 posts, read 5,410,081 times
Reputation: 12617
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack007 View Post
Hi,

I like the speed of Verizon FIOS internet, but would like the higher capacity DVR and Dish Anywhere TV viewing capability with Dish Network. Does anyone have their homes setup for FIOS Internet but Dish for satellite TV? If so, are the coaxial cable runs completely separate or were the installers able to somehow make the satellite signal run over the existing internal coaxial cable running through the house?

My closest comparable example is the Verizon DSL with DirecTV satellite where the internet came in through the telephone copper pair into the DSL modem and the satellite TV was brought in and connected to the internal coaxial cable.
FIOS offers mobile TV. And I'm not sure exactly what capacity either DVRs hold but I had at one time 30 hours of shows recorded and still had space.

We also have two all-room DVRs, so that helps with space as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM
 
11 posts, read 17,966 times
Reputation: 37
We have a FIOS / DirecTV set-up and are very happy with it, primarily because DirecTV gets me the sports programming I want that is unavailable on any other cable system or DISH. Example: NFL Sunday ticket (keeps me out of sports bars=happy wife), and New England Sports Network (NESN). Of course, FIOS provides us with great internet speeds.
My question would be, "Why DISH?" Unless you’re a fan of out of town sports, what is it about DISH that causes you not to signup for the Verizon Triple Play package? Is the DISH DVR that much better?

Last edited by Ed From Falls Church; 02-25-2014 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
169 posts, read 444,601 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack007 View Post
Hi,

I like the speed of Verizon FIOS internet, but would like the higher capacity DVR and Dish Anywhere TV viewing capability with Dish Network. Does anyone have their homes setup for FIOS Internet but Dish for satellite TV? If so, are the coaxial cable runs completely separate or were the installers able to somehow make the satellite signal run over the existing internal coaxial cable running through the house?

My closest comparable example is the Verizon DSL with DirecTV satellite where the internet came in through the telephone copper pair into the DSL modem and the satellite TV was brought in and connected to the internal coaxial cable.
We have Verizon Fios internet/phone and DirecTV. Ours is a townhouse built in 2007 and came pre-wired for Fios. When you order Fios TV/Internet/Phone they had installed a 2x6 coax junction box where all the coax from the house terminate. Its looks something like this. Monster Cable 4 Way - 2GHz Low-Loss RF Splitter for TV & B&H. Fios uses two coax one for TV and other for internet/phone.

When I got DirecTV, the technician fed the DirecTV coax to one of the 2 sources and removed the Fios TV coax. Now I get DirecTV signal at 3 cable outlets in the house and other 3 for Fios.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
169 posts, read 444,601 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed From Falls Church View Post
We have a FIOS / DirecTV set-up and are very happy with it, primarily because DirecTV gets me the sports programming I want that is unavailable on any other cable system or DISH. Example: NFL Sunday ticket (keeps me out of sports bars=happy wife), and New England Sports Network (NESN). Of course, FIOS provides us with great internet speeds.
My question would be, "Why DISH?" Unless you’re a fan of out of town sports, what is it about DISH that causes you not to signup for the Verizon Triple Play package? Is the DISH DVR that much better?
For the exact same reason I got DirecTV (Out of sports bar from 1pm on NFL Sundays = happy wife).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM
 
14 posts, read 20,480 times
Reputation: 20
We have FIOS and DISH. What Verizon did was they installed the ONT (the thing that coverts from fiber to either coax or ethernet) in our basement. From there the FIOS internet is fed onto the coax to the where a FIOS router is installed. Our house has a two pairs of coax in the walls. So we used one for the FIOS and one for the Dish. I believe it should work just fine sharing the coax with the Dish as FIOS uses a technology called MOCA to transmit the Internet on the coax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
 
Location: NoVA
22 posts, read 75,452 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed From Falls Church View Post
We have a FIOS / DirecTV set-up and are very happy with it, primarily because DirecTV gets me the sports programming I want that is unavailable on any other cable system or DISH. Example: NFL Sunday ticket (keeps me out of sports bars=happy wife), and New England Sports Network (NESN). Of course, FIOS provides us with great internet speeds.
My question would be, "Why DISH?" Unless you’re a fan of out of town sports, what is it about DISH that causes you not to signup for the Verizon Triple Play package? Is the DISH DVR that much better?
Ed,

Dish has:
- a higher capacity DVR,
- can record up to 6 shows at the same time vs 3 on FIOS (or is it record 2 and watch 1?),
- commercial skipping TV viewing (when available),
- some channels on Dish's Prime package that I wouldn't get on FIOS Prime package,
- some specialty channel options that FIOS doesn't even offer which Dish happily offered based on a vocal segment of their current/potential subscribers

FIOS Mobile allows live streaming on mobile devices, but doesn't clearly state I can watch recorded programs on my DVR like Dish. If you know for a fact that FIOS Mobile allows you to access your DVR, I'd be interested to hear about it, but I just looked at the iPhone App for it and it's just stream live media and manage recordings. I'm more interested in watching DVR'd shows remotely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM
 
336 posts, read 270,726 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack007 View Post
Ed,

Dish has:
- a higher capacity DVR,
- can record up to 6 shows at the same time vs 3 on FIOS (or is it record 2 and watch 1?),
- commercial skipping TV viewing (when available),
- some channels on Dish's Prime package that I wouldn't get on FIOS Prime package,
- some specialty channel options that FIOS doesn't even offer which Dish happily offered based on a vocal segment of their current/potential subscribers

FIOS Mobile allows live streaming on mobile devices, but doesn't clearly state I can watch recorded programs on my DVR like Dish. If you know for a fact that FIOS Mobile allows you to access your DVR, I'd be interested to hear about it, but I just looked at the iPhone App for it and it's just stream live media and manage recordings. I'm more interested in watching DVR'd shows remotely.
If you pay for the truck roll, Verizon will switch you from a coax connection to an ethernet connection for your Internet. The ONT (that Verizon box outside your home) has both types of connections. That would free up the coax cable for use with Dish Network.

Please note that Verizon FiOS supports the TiVo Roamio DVR:

- 50% more capacity than the Dish Hopper DVR and six times the capacity of the standard FIOS DVR
- Can record up to six HDTV shows at the same time
- 30 second skip (not as good as the Hopper's commercial skip feature)
- Superior HDTV picture quality to Dish Network (sharper images, less noise, fewer artifacts)
- Netflix, Amazon, and other streaming services built-in
- Built-in FiOS-compatible tuners so it eliminates the need for the Verizon box
- Support for multi-room extenders that allow you to watch liveTV or recorded shows from any room
- Best in class DVR record reliability and functionality

The TiVo Roamio DVR also has iPhone and iPad apps that allow you to both stream and download FIOS recordings directly from the DVR, both inside and outside the home (on the road).

The disadvantages of the TiVo Roamio DVR are the inability to access free FIOS VOD programs and the added upfront cost, particularly if you want a lifetime subscription to eliminate the DVR fees. Then again, some people see the option to eliminate the DVR fees as a benefit over the Dish and FiOS branded DVRs, which require you to pay DVR fees in perpetuity.

Last edited by VAGeek; 02-27-2014 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM
 
766 posts, read 852,745 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
If you pay for the truck roll, Verizon will switch you from a coax connection to an ethernet connection for your Internet. The ONT (that Verizon box outside your home) has both types of connections. That would free up the coax cable for use with Dish Network.
You don't need a truck roll to do that. If you can wire the ethernet cable from the ONT into the house yourself (like I did), all you need to do is to contact customer support (I used Verizon Direct on dslreports.com) and tell them to switch from coax to ethernet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 AM
 
44 posts, read 65,903 times
Reputation: 35
We have FIOS and directv in our house. I had the FIOS guy run the fiber directly into my basement and that is where the ONT is at. The modem is also in the basement and I have a single room where the cat5 connection is sent up to a better wireless router. So everything is centralized and I can route stuff wherever I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top