Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times

Advertisements

As a lifelong resident of this metropolitan area, it wouldn't make sense that I would ask a question like this, but why is it that most of Northern Virginia, while located in a southern state, seems to be exceptionally progressive when it comes to things, particularly with social issues such as the acceptance of immigrants (legal ones), a narrowed income gap, and racial integration to ALL races who want to partake in it, while the Maryland suburbs, which is considered in the North, tends to label particular immigrants, has a staggering income gap between the rich and poor, and excludes certain minorities from social acceptance and integration (regardless if their personality is opposite of their racially assigned stereotype). I have a few ideas of what may be behind this, but I just wanted to know the possible answers from those who have lived longer than I have and seen the differences throughout time.

Sorry in advance to bringing up a topic about this in a forum of a place that has virtually no blame behind the problems I've faced (while in Maryland), but I just needed to ask this question. And I'm almost certain that I will be totally labeled a flamer/troll and get bashed the crap out of if I posted it on the Maryland board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
You will find there is anti-immigrant sentiment in Northern Virginia, but it is mainly against perceived illegals. Don't assume because a state is "northern" you will not find prejudice and bigotry. I lived in New Jersey for 13 years and and heard more ethnic, racial, and religious bigotry than I ever heard expressed in Northern Virginia. I have never lived farther south so I can't comment on that area, but Northern Virginia is very diverse and seems to have greater acceptance of other ethnic groups than many other metropolitan areas.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Actually, I think the two sides are pretty much the same. Both sides have people of all sorts. Maybe you just found a pocket of people that don't appeal to you.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
I agree that both sides are much the same, if you're comparing Fairfax to Montgomery. Bring P.G. County into the mix and things change.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
As others have said, I have always found the two areas more similar than different. I think you just happen to have found yourself in an outlier bubble and are now applying your experiences to the entire state of Maryland. Montgomery and Howard counties are pretty comparable to Fairfax and Loudoun counties. In all of these counties, there tends to be a high degree of acceptance which can be traced to multiple factors, chief amongst them, the area's incredibly high levels of education. I'm not saying all educated people are tolerant, nor that all high school drop outs are racist by any means, but there is definitely a correlation between education and racism. Additionally, these ares in particular have a very international population in the sense that due to the government, you have many people here who have lived abroad on assignments for some time and are accustomed to dealing with people from other cultures. The area is also fairly "new" in the sense that there were never really any particularly insular ethnic ghettoes in these areas as you find in many older cities (Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, etc.) that were hostile to outsiders, so it was almost as if the area was developed largely post-Civil Rights from scratch with everyone starting out with a mostly clean slate, meaning people settled where they wanted to in the area, and weren't forced into or out of certain areas. Similarly, the area's economic boom means that most people who want to work, are working. There isn't the sense of (insert ethnic group) coming here and stealing all the jobs as you may have in areas with a dicier economy where people find it easy to point the finger and blame one group for all of their problems. What results then is an effortless mix with minimal tension between the different groups of people.

Prince George's County, where the OP lives, is a bit of a mixed bag. The demographics are different in terms of education levels, income levels, ethnicity, etc. largely a result of bordering the poorest parts of DC. That sort of skews most every statistic about the county as a whole, but similarly in Prince George's County, you can find ethnically diverse, accepting and progressive areas.

On a personal note Fairfaxian, I have read all of your posts on this board, and they are all overwhelmingly negative towards the state of Maryland and the northeast, all based on your experiences at your one university which you loathe. I have told you this before, but I really believe for your sanity that you need to leave your university and transfer to a more accepting environment. I wouldn't normally recommend such a thing, but you just sound so incredibly miserable where you currently are at (seriously, go back and read all of your posts) that I can't believe that you are actually looking to continue this misery for several more years when there are so many other options available. I hope you don't take that as an insult. I realize that you're not a troll and are simply venting, but I'm just baffled by how unhappy you seem in the area and the fact that you're willing to continue to subject yourself to the environment of your campus when there are so many other options out there.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Interesting opinions. LOL, my favorite bit is the part about how people live in NOVA because it's cheap!!!! Oh yeah, people move to Fairfax County for the inexpensive property....

Sounds like some of the things being said in the General US Forums in that thread about Virginia being southern. Hmmm, and just as out of touch with reality. Gotta wonder if you live here, especially since you like using words like "them" and "there" and not "us" and "here".

Well, what does it matter. Wherever you live you're entitled to an opinion.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Disregard that response--apparently while I was writing it the post I was responding to was removed!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
As others have said, I have always found the two areas more similar than different. I think you just happen to have found yourself in an outlier bubble and are now applying your experiences to the entire state of Maryland. Montgomery and Howard counties are pretty comparable to Fairfax and Loudoun counties. In all of these counties, there tends to be a high degree of acceptance which can be traced to multiple factors, chief amongst them, the area's incredibly high levels of education. I'm not saying all educated people are tolerant, nor that all high school drop outs are racist by any means, but there is definitely a correlation between education and racism. Additionally, these ares in particular have a very international population in the sense that due to the government, you have many people here who have lived abroad on assignments for some time and are accustomed to dealing with people from other cultures. The area is also fairly "new" in the sense that there were never really any particularly insular ethnic ghettoes in these areas as you find in many older cities (Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, etc.) that were hostile to outsiders, so it was almost as if the area was developed largely post-Civil Rights from scratch with everyone starting out with a mostly clean slate, meaning people settled where they wanted to in the area, and weren't forced into or out of certain areas. Similarly, the area's economic boom means that most people who want to work, are working. There isn't the sense of (insert ethnic group) coming here and stealing all the jobs as you may have in areas with a dicier economy where people find it easy to point the finger and blame one group for all of their problems. What results then is an effortless mix with minimal tension between the different groups of people.

Prince George's County, where the OP lives, is a bit of a mixed bag. The demographics are different in terms of education levels, income levels, ethnicity, etc. largely a result of bordering the poorest parts of DC. That sort of skews most every statistic about the county as a whole, but similarly in Prince George's County, you can find ethnically diverse, accepting and progressive areas.

On a personal note Fairfaxian, I have read all of your posts on this board, and they are all overwhelmingly negative towards the state of Maryland and the northeast, all based on your experiences at your one university which you loathe. I have told you this before, but I really believe for your sanity that you need to leave your university and transfer to a more accepting environment. I wouldn't normally recommend such a thing, but you just sound so incredibly miserable where you currently are at (seriously, go back and read all of your posts) that I can't believe that you are actually looking to continue this misery for several more years when there are so many other options available. I hope you don't take that as an insult. I realize that you're not a troll and are simply venting, but I'm just baffled by how unhappy you seem in the area and the fact that you're willing to continue to subject yourself to the environment of your campus when there are so many other options out there.
I don't see this as an insult and I do see your point. The thing about it is that in my current predicament, I can't really transfer out-of-state (at least without significant setbacks to my academic - and hence, financial - stability). As for leaving this state, I plan to right after I graduate in May 2009. And if you really want to know why I'm still here, I have a full ride scholarship to the school I attend, something that is very rare.

But as for the original question, I have noticed similarities such as the job market, cost of living, and intellectual levels (at least when one compares Northern VA with MoCo and Howard Co.). But in addition to the social differences (which could be something that I'm personally experencing), I have noticed attitude and personality differences, including

-Less encounters w/ rude people and subsequently more encounters w/ friendly people while either in NoVA or from people who are from here.
-Less snobbish attitudes and materialism from Northern Virginians compared with Marylanders (and especially when compared to those from Potomac)
-The teens who partake in the "rap culture" (at least in a trendy-like way) in NoVA aren't as anal and critical over how I compose myself (as the anti-rap cultured guy) as those who are from Maryland, especially the teens and peers from PG County.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As a lifelong resident of this metropolitan area, it wouldn't make sense that I would ask a question like this, but why is it that most of Northern Virginia, while located in a southern state, seems to be exceptionally progressive when it comes to things, particularly with social issues such as the acceptance of immigrants (legal ones), a narrowed income gap, and racial integration to ALL races who want to partake in it, while the Maryland suburbs, which is considered in the North, tends to label particular immigrants, has a staggering income gap between the rich and poor, and excludes certain minorities from social acceptance and integration (regardless if their personality is opposite of their racially assigned stereotype). I have a few ideas of what may be behind this, but I just wanted to know the possible answers from those who have lived longer than I have and seen the differences throughout time.

Sorry in advance to bringing up a topic about this in a forum of a place that has virtually no blame behind the problems I've faced (while in Maryland), but I just needed to ask this question. And I'm almost certain that I will be totally labeled a flamer/troll and get bashed the crap out of if I posted it on the Maryland board.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that Virginia overall is a conservative southern state and Maryland is a left-leaning northern state. Fact is, NoVa has always been one of the most progressive and liberal parts of Virginia, whereas places like Richmond and Roanoke, and small-town VA, are the area that make VA red (politically speaking). As for Maryland, I would venture a guess that Montgomery county has its share of wealthy republicans.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:30 AM

35 posts, read 142,517 times
Actually, Richmond is (on the whole) pretty middle road. You have very conservative sides of Richmond - west and north - and liberal sides - south and east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia