U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:47 PM

654 posts, read 1,098,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that Virginia overall is a conservative southern state and Maryland is a left-leaning northern state. Fact is, NoVa has always been one of the most progressive and liberal parts of Virginia, whereas places like Richmond and Roanoke, and small-town VA, are the area that make VA red (politically speaking). As for Maryland, I would venture a guess that Montgomery county has its share of wealthy republicans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
As a lifelong resident of this metropolitan area, it wouldn't make sense that I would ask a question like this, but why is it that most of Northern Virginia, while located in a southern state, seems to be exceptionally progressive when it comes to things, particularly with social issues such as the acceptance of immigrants (legal ones), a narrowed income gap, and racial integration to ALL races who want to partake in it, while the Maryland suburbs, which is considered in the North, tends to label particular immigrants, has a staggering income gap between the rich and poor, and excludes certain minorities from social acceptance and integration (regardless if their personality is opposite of their racially assigned stereotype). I have a few ideas of what may be behind this, but I just wanted to know the possible answers from those who have lived longer than I have and seen the differences throughout time.

Sorry in advance to bringing up a topic about this in a forum of a place that has virtually no blame behind the problems I've faced (while in Maryland), but I just needed to ask this question. And I'm almost certain that I will be totally labeled a flamer/troll and get bashed the crap out of if I posted it on the Maryland board.
As a conservative I take great offense to the implication that conservative equals racist and intolerant. People are people and everyone has different attitudes. But this ridiculous belief that conservative equals racism/intolerance and "progressive" equals open minded is stupid, dishonest, and insulting. Funny though how a "progressive", who claims that tolerance and equality are strictly "progressive" ideals, is so willing to write off entire areas, the South in this case, as being prejudiced and closed minded - as if liberal racist jerks in the North are unheard of. Yet it is conservatives who are villified here. The irony would be funny if this perception wasn't so widespread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,494,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
As a conservative I take great offense to the implication that conservative equals racist and intolerant. People are people and everyone has different attitudes. But this ridiculous belief that conservative equals racism/intolerance and "progressive" equals open minded is stupid, dishonest, and insulting. Funny though how a "progressive", who claims that tolerance and equality are strictly "progressive" ideals, is so willing to write off entire areas, the South in this case, as being prejudiced and closed minded - as if liberal racist jerks in the North are unheard of. Yet it is conservatives who are villified here. The irony would be funny if this perception wasn't so widespread.
If my comments came in a way to offend you, that wasn't the intention. I realize that there are conservative people who aren't racists and liberals that are racists (which was what I actually trying to highlight when I was talking about my experiences in Maryland). I was just applying that example to the most assumed observation in the eyes of other people.

As for the irony that would be apparent if the "conservatives = narrow-minded/populist/homophobes/racist" perspective wasn't as widespread, I realize what you're saying. With the exception of West-Coast Liberals, many other liberals (particularly those from the Northeast) tend to be very narrow-minded to say the least, while most conservatives I meet tend to be some of the most accepting and welcoming people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia