U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

28 posts, read 41,220 times

Advertisements

We live in 22311 and not sure if we will buy out here. Leasing a Townhome now. We might move out towards Herndon Sterling to lease to see if we like the area and save some leasing costs.. I am curious to see how the market reacts to the new silver live metro opening this summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,159,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coair73x View Post
We live in 22311 and not sure if we will buy out here. Leasing a Townhome now. We might move out towards Herndon Sterling to lease to see if we like the area and save some leasing costs.. I am curious to see how the market reacts to the new silver live metro opening this summer.
Such events/developments are already priced in.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:36 AM

53 posts, read 74,228 times
That is BS. I live in Centreville, and I have seen prices take a big jump becuase people are buying these over priced townhomes. I had trouble wanting to buy a $300,000 townhome a year ago. Now Those same ones are about $330,000, which is pricing me out. Gainesville and Haymarket is becoming priced out too. This current government is about making gov bigger, even if it's highering gov contracted companies. People are highering, in which people with good paying jobs are moving in, and buying up this area, because of really low crime, great schools, and in a more suburban area. Forget those articles, I'm seeing it... Friends house values have shot up a good $50,000.

I'm from Vegas, and cost of living is much better there, but moved here to be close to my wife's parents. BIG mistake...

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 2,419,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
My prediction, FWIW, is continued slow growth in the price of housing in NoVA and the DC area. Think increases of about 2-3% per year, with some neighborhoods outpacing that and others less than that. I don't think housing prices here are inflated, but I also don't think they are grossly undervalued either.
I agree with airjay, I think things will slow back down, but not crash. One of the things to remember about the past few years here re: housing inventory and price appreciation, is that it didn't happen during a boom time in the economy in general. It's not like DC bypassed the recession totally, it did get hit, but not quite as bad as say a Chicago did. Builder's aren't building large amounts of speculative housing units like they once were. They continue to keep the margin between construction starts and sold contracts pretty tight, which is good for the argument of over-supply (I'm talking for-sale product here, not rental, which is a whole different bag of tacks). Some of this rapid appreciation over the past 2 years I think was influenced by a recovering economy in general. Other markets are seeing this happen now too. I personally don't think DC's housing stock is anywhere near the danger zone of a "bubble". Sure, some pockets might be pushing it a little, like out towards me in Brambleton - more specifically the South Riding area along Rt. 50 towards 15 (I'm looking at you Willowsford), but again, the construction starts to sold contracts ratio remains very tight and pretty safe.

In terms of federal contraction in the area, I'm not so sure I agree. I do agree that some areas of government spending will certianly be reduced, but the fact remains that our top employer in the region has nearly 320,000,000 "customers" and growing at an average of 6,000 per day, I think the federal spending discussion is more like a game of musical chairs. One is hot (defense spending) at the moment, one is warming up (social services aka healthcare support). I think budget allocations just shift from area to another. Out goes the defense contractor, in comes the social services support contractor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia