Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 16,171 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Im looking for a realtor asap who can help my family, as we are relocating from PA very quickly. Ive narrowed down properties, and we are RENTERS, as I understand we are not as important as buyers; Ive already been made to feel that way when speaking to a realtor who could not return my calls all day as she was "closing deals". Im new to the area and shocked at the service I've encountered. If anyone can assist me in viewing properties in the Leesburg/Ashburn/So. Riding area tomorrow, pls reach out.

Im done making online inquiries only to speak to someone who tells me my timeframe expectations are unrealistic, or just wont return my call. We are a family of four who is looking to occupy a rental within a few weeks. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:18 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Many realtors do not deal with renters because they aren't making money out of the deal. You should deal with a Real Estate company who also manages rental properties.

I'd check out McGrath Real Estate.

Renting from McGrath

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM

22,355 posts, read 11,881,460 times
Long and Foster also handles rental properties. Landlords are the ones paying the realtor's commission. So it's not like realtors aren't getting any money when they work with renters. Granted, they don't make as big a commission as when they sell a home.

Have you checked realtor.com? Here is a link to their rental listings in Ashburn:

Ashburn VA Homes, Condos/Townhomes and Apartments for Rent - realtor.com®

Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Landlords are the ones paying the realtor's commission.
The LL only pays the fee if they agree to it. As a private LL, I don't have to pay for that service at all. I could choose to go with a tenant found elsewhere (craigslist). Thus, realtors dealing with renters have the added frustration of dealing with negotiations for their payment.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM

529 posts, read 748,031 times
OP is in a hurry to find a place, so if the realtor shows nice house, OP will be able to decide soon unlike others who might take a long time.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM

When we were landlords, we worked with a management company (in our case, Long and Foster), so we did pay a commission when we needed renters. That, of course, was our choice to do things that way. There was no negotiation. We were told up front how much commission we were expected to pay. Granted, we could have refused to work with that management company after hearing this but it was acceptable to us.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When we were landlords, we worked with a management company (in our case, Long and Foster), so we did pay a commission when we needed renters. That, of course, was our choice to do things that way. There was no negotiation. We were told up front how much commission we were expected to pay. Granted, we could have refused to work with that management company after hearing this but it was acceptable to us.
Yes, but most LLs do not use a management company, and are reluctant to pay this.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

If you look at the link I posted for rentals in Ashburn, there are quite a few landlords who use realtors. That said, it would be interesting to know how many landlords use realtors versus those who don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia