Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM

44 posts, read 106,501 times

Advertisements

Knowledgeable and friendly city-dataers, please advise!! :-)

We have a propane gas tank (1,000 gallons) in the backyard. Never have had propane gas before, thus these burning questions: what are the best COST-SAVING strategies could you share?
Mainly, when to buy, and from whom to buy? (The previous owners bought the tank, so we own it now.)
We had to refill 200 gallons at the end of February, and the cost scared the bejeezes out of me - $650.

Also, is pre-pay program some companies offer worth it: will it save???

Thank you all who will answer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM

38 posts, read 50,505 times
Hello,

Our home uses propane. We currently have 2 X 120 gallon tanks, so we need about 200 gallons to fill them up (80%), every 4 weeks or so, during winter only thankfully.

We have gotten a bill for as much as what you mentioned above to fill up both tanks, but this only happened once when we ran out of propane. The company forgot the previous week to send the truck to our home.

In any case, we do not use the prepay program that our provider offers. However, we use their Level monthly payment plan program, which allows us to pay our bill monthly versus every time the propane truck comes in to fill up the tanks.

The monthly payment will be adjusted by the provider if the price per gallon goes up or down accordingly.

This is a note from their website:

This plan does not guarantee a locked monthly payment or price per gallon. It only creates a monthly payment program, which is applied to your actual account balance. Your monthly payment is subject to change, based on your actual usage and market fluctuations in the price of propane and LP gas.

It makes it easier to pay for the deliveries, and it costs nothing to have it activated, not even a credit check if I am not mistaken.

Regards,

Victor

Old 03-10-2014, 07:42 PM

429 posts, read 1,162,077 times
I hate to say it, but $3.25 per gallon sounds pretty reasonable to me. I have a large propane tank as well, but only use it to run a generator, so I rarely have to fill it. As far as I can tell, the only real cost saving strategy is to turn down your thermostat and maybe have an energy audit to see if adding more insulation or better windows and doors would save you money in the long run.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Are you brand-new homeowners? If not, and the previous owners used propane, that company should be able to provide information on propane usage. For example, they can provide the last two years and how much was used each month and a total for the year.

I don't know anyone who uses propane except one family. And they live on Mount Weather (between Purcellville and Berryville).

Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM

38 posts, read 50,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I don't know anyone who uses propane except one family. And they live on Mount Weather (between Purcellville and Berryville).
The Richmond American Homes on Gum Spring Rd close to Evergreen Mills Rd use propane. According to the builder, Winsbury West will eventually get natural gas, but there's no timeline for that.

By the way, that area is considered Sterling 20166.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia