Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have been having this debate about cultures of areas and how safe one feels depending on where they live. For her, she lived in the Hampton Roads area growing up, which has a much slower pace and she remembers days of not having to worry about locking your door and even having people from the neighborhood frequently visiting and being welcomed inside her home.

For me, I grew up in the DC area and lived a much different life. I was always told growing up, you lock the door when you come in and you make sure it's locked when leaving. I also remember our family being selective of who was invited into our home. If my parents did not know my friends well enough, they did not feel comfortable inviting them.

Certainly we have two contrasting styles of being raised. I am reminded of this topic with two examples, one which happened recently and another that happened late last year.

Stranger rapes Manassas woman sleeping in her bed - INSIDENOVA.COM: Crime & Police

$87,000 in goods stolen in 2 home burglaries - WTOP.com

How do you feel about people leaving their doors and windows unlocked? Do you think people should be able to do it and feel safe in our region? Do you feel as though these cases are anomalies and perhaps would have happened regardless of the doors/windows being locked or not, or do you believe that leaving doors/windows unlock attracts unwanted attention? I'm certain that this is a topic that many of us can relate to. We are privileged to live in what is a relatively safe region, but I wonder if we take things for granted. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,776 times
Lock your doors and windows no matter where you live. I don't care if you live in small town America or a big city. There are criminals everywhere.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:20 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Lock up. Years ago a burglar broke into my home while I was asleep. I caught him red handed and it was not pleasant.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Growing up, we only locked our doors when we'd leave on a trip. And, even then, it was always a big "to-do" as we spent an hour trying to find a key to lock the doors. For the most part, we lived in middle class suburban areas of major cities.

Now, I only lock my doors when someone like the cleaning lady or the dog walker comes....only because I don't want them to think I don't lock my doors. (totally irrational, I know.) Oh, I do lock at night, though.......

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM

415 posts, read 764,426 times
yep , lock it up... even though i live in the burbs, section 8 is alive n well..there' everywhere ...also a city sport now a days is go to the burbs while folks are working trying to put Legit food on the table, not that link free food and rob there house, you know there entitled to it whats yours is mine ....

Last edited by Hickory patrick; 03-11-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Lock up. Years ago a burglar broke into my home while I was asleep. I caught him red handed and it was not pleasant.
So, if he "broke" in , then you had locked up? So, locking the doors didn't actually prevent anything, correct?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, if he "broke" in , then you had locked up? So, locking the doors didn't actually prevent anything, correct?
Actually my wife cracked a window to let cool air in and I was not aware of it. That never happened again.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM

540 posts, read 790,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
yep , lock it up... even though i live in the burbs, section 8 is alive n well..there' everywhere ...also a city sport now a days is go to the burbs while folks are working trying to put Legit food on the table, not that link free food and rob there house, you know there entitled to it whats yours is mine ....
This post makes my head hurt.

We locked up in small town Minnesota, and do here as well. Why give criminals a simple path?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
We locked all lower and main level all the time, no matter where we've lived. Since it was always a ubiquitous two-story colonial, we did open the upstairs windows at night.

Of course, alarms, locks and doors can be overcome, but it at least there's usually noise and the dog would bark. Gives us time to get the pistol. And, before the outrage begins, yes, I'd shoot. If you're in my house, uninvited, be prepared.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM

254 posts, read 423,158 times
Whoever doesn't lock their doors and windows is living in a fantasy or wants drama. However, I've always said that it doesn't matter if your doors and windows are locked anyways. If someone wants in, they will get in. What I always found hilarious is those people that bought that steering wheel lock for their cars. If there was anything that would promote or invite someone to break into your car, that would be it.

In the end, I always believe in living humble. You can be awesome and all but don't let others know outside your friends and family. You walk around wearing your money, you will likely attract attention.

I always walk around in sweat pants and a tee shirt and keep the valuables out of sight. The only person that I care about impressing is myself anyways lol. The people that wear $200 jeans and $50 tees and $300 shoes and $500 sunglasses have self-esteem issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia