Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:33 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If you go to court and the cop does not show, your ticket will be dismissed. Also, the ticket cost is higher when you consider the higher insurance rates you will probably pay over the next 3-5 years.
Most insurance do not raise rates for a first speeding ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADude View Post
The Town of Herndon is notorious for strict enforcement of traffic laws, but principally with out of towners. Most Virginia plates mysteriously don't get pulled over. It's a major revenue stream for the town. I caution all visitors to be vigilant when driving in Herndon, particularly with out of state plates or rental cars.

In the county itself, traffic enforcement is much more spotty. I see 60 or 65 on the Fairfax County Parkway regularly and rarely is anyone pulled over.
Your information is so wrong it's not even funny. You really are clueless.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,803 times
A few years back I was driving home from work, I had just put in 11 hours at work. As I'm driving on the parkway at 12:00 at night doing 29 mph I get pulled over by a Herndon cop. The speed limit is 25 mph and
I'm doing 4 miles over speed limit and starts writing me a ticket. Then he asks if I've been drinking and
Wants to smell my soda cup in my truck. I tell him I just put in a long day at work and I just want to get home.
The guy was a real jerk, he just kept accusing me, needless to say I don't have much respect for Herndon
Police.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
A few years back I was driving home from work, I had just put in 11 hours at work. As I'm driving on the parkway at 12:00 at night doing 29 mph I get pulled over by a Herndon cop. The speed limit is 25 mph and
I'm doing 4 miles over speed limit and starts writing me a ticket. Then he asks if I've been drinking and
Wants to smell my soda cup in my truck. I tell him I just put in a long day at work and I just want to get home.
The guy was a real jerk, he just kept accusing me, needless to say I don't have much respect for Herndon
Police.

4 over? Sounds like he was a jerk but no need to take it out on the entire dept.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Lightbulb court of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
4 over? Sounds like he was a jerk but no need to take it out on the entire dept.
I agree but can see both sides of opinion. When the speed limits nationwide started going above 55mph on Interstates, I got a ticket for 68mph in a 65mph. I thought that if this was the wave of the future, bring back 55mph and we'll be better off. Did I think this was a ticket-by-exception or a department-wide policy? Tough call.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I worked in Sterling for many years and I have heard countless stories about how bad Herndon police are
from friends, co-workers and from my customers as well. So my opinion is based not only on my own experiences but of those that I personally know as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 AM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
I worked in Sterling for many years and I have heard countless stories about how bad Herndon police are
from friends, co-workers and from my customers as well. So my opinion is based not only on my own experiences but of those that I personally know as well.
I lived in Sterling for 7 years, worked in Herndon and Reston for six years, and have numerous friends who live in Herndon. I frequent the retail and eating establishments in Herndon on a very regular basis. Never once have I even spoken to a Herndon police officer, nor ever heard a single story about a Herndon police officer from anyone else.

I guess we travel in different circles.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM

53 posts, read 66,025 times
You have been pulled over twice for speeding recently...and you were speeding by a LOT. Pay the ticket you so justly deserved and slow down before you kill someone.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I agree but can see both sides of opinion. When the speed limits nationwide started going above 55mph on Interstates, I got a ticket for 68mph in a 65mph. I thought that if this was the wave of the future, bring back 55mph and we'll be better off. Did I think this was a ticket-by-exception or a department-wide policy? Tough call.
Writing for 3 or 4 over is not the new thing. If anything most agencies in busy areas have moved the tolerance level from what was 10 or 11 when I started in 79 to around 13-15 when I retired in 09. There are of course some exceptions when serious accidents keep occurring in the same areas but traditionally the vast majority of officers do not want to cite for such few over.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I've lived in NOVA since 73 and have been through and in Herndon more times than I can remember. Not once have I ever been pulled over or had a problem with Herndon officers. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia