Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 19,376 times

Advertisements

[quote=agoralski;33958863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i'm from fairfax county who moved to the city proper of pittsburgh. frankly its 2 worlds apart between the two places. i'd pick nova for raising kids as you have more diversity (and i dont mean between irish,polish,etc) so they can learn. Pittsburgh is still rebuilding, at least the city itself. Its not like the nova area.

Totally agree. Im from Pgh, lived in No.Va for 7years, moved back to Pittsburgh for a year, and now going back to settle in the No.Va area. Though there are many great things about Pgh, I feel there is so much of a small mind mentality around here that its stifling. Lack of diversity and overall work ethic are reasons I look forward to being back in VA. Just my opinion...

I suppose you can find positives and negatives everywhere.
I agree with all of that except the work ethic part, you would be hard pressed to find somebody with more work ethic than a pittsburgh raised man… Im glad that worked for you being from pittsburgh. I know the city is still rebuilding but raising a family in the suburbs of pittsburgh doesn't get much better especially USC school district and community.. Good luck down there also in VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian15 View Post
Yes i would agree they are very different, Im a pittsburgh guy I am very simple, I'm not a big fan of being surrounded and raising my kids in an environment that is so transient. I grew up in pittsburgh with family and everybody around me spent there whole life in the same area. I know VA and that culture has its pluses but I want my kids staying in one place till they graduate. some people think that is small minded and not exposing to culture diversity, etc.

I would love to stay in the LE field in pittsburgh but that is very limited as far as options. I will be exploring those also.. THanks

I spend most of my time in the Pittsburgh forums these days and hardly here. I would suggest posting there too so you can get advice from those there (who might have also moved from va).

I don't understand this "want my kids to stay in one place until they graduate" part. do you mean living here in Pittsburgh then moving to VA, but then returning to PGH?

I just feel you truly don't want to leave and most likely wont. Take the severance pay and find a new line of work in Pittsburgh, since you cant see yourself leaving Pittsburgh ( . the grass can always be greener on the other side, and in your case youd get to stay in your job and your kids get a better education than anything suburbs of Pittsburgh can offer. I mean even teachers leave PGH to find jobs since the city cant even maintain them)

This to me just sounds more of what YOU want than what is the best choice for the family as a whole, so I suggest really sitting down with the wife and talk about it and talk about it 2 weeks from now, 2 months from now, 6 months from now to see where both of you stand on the issue. If you consistently stay with the same choice, then obviously that's the best path, unless its commuting back and forth ( horrible idea btw, youll lose so much out of the kids growing up by doing that and time with the family)

personally I think you should just stay in PGH and join the rest of us...we are meh about the job, but it pays the bills

Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
[quote=Brian15;33985215]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agoralski View Post

I agree with all of that except the work ethic part, you would be hard pressed to find somebody with more work ethic than a pittsburgh raised man… Im glad that worked for you being from pittsburgh. I know the city is still rebuilding but raising a family in the suburbs of pittsburgh doesn't get much better especially USC school district and community.. Good luck down there also in VA

im not from Pittsburgh though. I moved TO Pittsburgh from Fairfax,va

Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
.... the grass can always be greener on the other side, and in your case youd get to stay in your job and your kids get a better education than anything suburbs of Pittsburgh can offer. I mean even teachers leave PGH to find jobs since the city cant even maintain them) ......personally I think you should just stay in PGH and join the rest of us...we are meh about the job, but it pays the bills
The NOVA area is populated by people who grew up somewhere else and were educated somewhere else. They've moved to NOVA and have competed very successfully in their jobs ... without NOVA educations. There are definitely great educational opportunities in NOVA, but it's not like everywhere else is an educational wasteland.

I'm sure that you didn't mean to imply that Pittsburghers are "meh" about their jobs and just work to pay the bills. That's just silly.

"the grass can always be greener on the other side" .... it can be, no matter from where you begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia