Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:28 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times

Advertisements

My job will likely be moving to the Front Royal area and the wife will finally move out of the NOVA area. We've always like the Winchester area. I know the area well as I'm out there often for work and have lived in NOVA since 73. What I don't know are what neighborhoods to look in. We don't have to worry about kids any longer, except when the Grandson comes to visit. We may look for some land and we definitely do not want to be neighbors with someone where our walls are almost touching. Having neighbors is fine though. We are looking for the Winchester area and maybe anywhere within 15 miles or so and can even be towards Front Royal. We don't want to live in Front Royal. The wife will leave her current job and look for something around Winchester. I really don't know what our budget is as we've lived in our current house since 86 and we may keep it as a rental. We know we want a 3-4 bedroom house with LARGE closets. Our current rambler does not have a lot of storage.

Another thing. We will be in town all weekend and would like a recommendation on a nice restaurant but not a chain. I stay at one of the local hotels there often due to working out at Summit Point and they've invited me to stay on them for Saturday night. Doesn't need to be a top dollar place but something we can sit and enjoy in relative peace and quiet. I'm familiar with the pedestrian mall area but not the restaurants.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
What is your favorite type of food?

My favorite is the Thai restaurant. There is also a new place, Joe's Steakhouse, that recently opened in an old "mansion" on Piccadilly that friends were excited about. EM on Boscowen is very good but the tables are tightly packed and it tends to get noisy. I like that one for Sunday brunch. There's also a British Pub, a Mexican place, a brewpub, and an italian. All on the walking mall.

A backstreet a block off the walking mall is called Indian Alley. A very nice place there is called "One Block West".

Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,660 times
We ate at the Union Jack Pub along the pedestrian walking area in Winchester a few weeks ago. It was a bit expensive, but we thought the food was delicious. It was a nice evening. Our first time there, and we'll definitely visit there again.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Bigfoot, check out TripAdvisor's Winchester page.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Bigfoot, check out TripAdvisor's Winchester page.
Definitely try Chopstick Cafe -- Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc. The owners are great, originally from NYC.

Definitely try Tropical Island Cafe -- Jamaican food-- just fabulous. I love the oxtails or jerk chicken and fried bananas/plaintains.

Village Square/Piano Bar and Village Market & Bistro -- on the Walking Mall, owned by same owners. Food is great in both. Piano Bar is a little pricier than Village Market but we usually head there for martinis/drinks and listen to the piano. Village Market is delicious with some rocking desserts.

Union Jacks (as mentioned) - English/Scottish pub foods/meals with a range of international and USA brews.

Brewbakers - another pub also very good.

Other Restaurants on the Old Town Walking Mall:
Dining - Old Town Winchester | Old Town Winchester

And here are comments on a Winchester Facebook site called "WincFood":
https://www.facebook.com/wincfood

There are also some very good restaurants outside of the historic district but still located in Winchester. One thing different out here from NOVA are family-owned Italian and Mexican restaurants.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:17 AM

Okay, got the food suggestions. Now someone needs to recommend some good neighborhoods. We'll spend time riding around and see what's available.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Housing -- new? historic? size? price? in-town? rural?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:35 AM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
george washington hotel would be a nice place to stay in the downtown area

Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Same query, BF. Winchester is an incorporated city so there is city-living, suburban developments, and rural housing -- all within Winchester, all different. Do you prefer to be in-town? Or need 5 acres? Do you prefer new houses or a historic home? Etc., etc.

BTW, Winchester was rated one of the best towns for retirement in the USA.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Not historic. I did say 3-4 bedrooms. Price is the tough one. Not really sure what to expect since we've been in our current home so long that knowing what prices are for the area. My guess is around the $300 thou range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia