U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,641,778 times

Advertisements

A little bit of controversy has started with some comments made by County Supervisors about Eastern PWC sparked a editoral on Insidenova.com:

Editorial: Stewart takes a swipe at eastern Prince William County - INSIDENOVA.COM: Prince William

Quote:
In recently arguing his case for more police officers (and perhaps higher taxes) in next year’s fiscal county budget, Prince William Board of Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart also managed to perpetuate an unfortunate stereotype.

“It’s not just in Woodbridge or Dale City, it’s not just in places where people would think these things would occur,” Stewart said of what he perceives as a spike in crime. “They are happening in the western end of the county.”

Really, Mr. Stewart? We expect rape, robbery and murder on the east end but not the west end?
He might as well have called it “Hoodbridge,” that embarrassing nickname that started who knows where, but it seems to have stuck.
Certainly I am sure there will be some who will say that perhaps what he is saying is being misinterpreted, but in my time in Prince William County it appears that there are a lot of areas lumped together on the Eastern side of the county and labeled as being all the same. Just like most places I have seen some good areas and some not so good. Do you feel as though the Eastern part of PWC is unfairly criticized or do you think there are valid concerns versus the concerns of Western PWC?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM

518 posts, read 784,332 times
I feel that Eastern PWC will never truly be able to shake the stigma of being "Hoodbridge". I believe the biggest contributor is higher population density. I believe that with the rising population density in Western PWC that there would be a rise in the amount of crime in that area as well.

As for Corey Stewart's statement, it seems as if he was quoted in an inflammatory way. I personally take any quotes in the media with a grain of salt and two grains when in an editorial article.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or