U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM

11,342 posts, read 20,111,332 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had it done? How much and who would you recommend? I can see fine close up but need glasses for distance, I've heard/read that I'm a good candidate. Pros? Cons? Thanks for any opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,437,454 times
Hi,

Yes, I had it done. I had two consults: one at a big "Lasik" center, which I found very professional and low key. The estimate was for $3000-4000 ... but they give you a lifetime guarantee. They'll re-tweak your eyes if needed.

The second place was an eye surgery center that specialized in senior issues (cataract surgery, etc.) ... but they offered lasik - but without the lifetime guarantee for about half the price as the other. I went with this second, just to get it over with.

Lasik can be life changing and a lot of people really like it. I do like it and am glad I had it done. I was sort of "high risk" to begin with, very myopic and I subsequently was found to have some underlying eye problems ... don't get me started ... early glaucoma, none of this had anything to do with the lasik.

But I would spend a day googling a few "horror stories" just to see what people are saying and to get a sense of the risks, again, things like migraine, difficulty with night vision, etc. The stories might be anecdotal and difficult to correlate, but still take a peek.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 AM

520 posts, read 1,715,356 times
I had lasik done a few years ago. I could see well close up but had to wear glasses to drive. I also had an astigmatism in each eye. My lasik went really well and my eyesight is essentially "perfect" now. For weeks after I got it done I walked around in awe at how crisp and colorful everything was.

My wife also had lasik done. She didn't heal quite properly and ended up with eyesight approximately the same or slightly worse than before. She also has REALLY dry eyes all the time. She wishes she didn't have it done.

That wasn't much of a horror story thank goodness. Make sure you do your research. It would really suck to mess up your eyes.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 AM

I wanted to add that there was recently a thread on the health forum below about lasik. It was, I think, about having it done with a very strong prescription. This doesn't seem to fit you, but you could still take a peek to hear a few more stories. It was a couple of weeks ago, so if you can't find it, just search "lasik" and it should come up.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 AM

969 posts, read 2,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
I wanted to add that there was recently a thread on the health forum below about lasik. It was, I think, about having it done with a very strong prescription. This doesn't seem to fit you, but you could still take a peek to hear a few more stories. It was a couple of weeks ago, so if you can't find it, just search "lasik" and it should come up.
I had it done many years ago - with a high prescription AND astigmatism - I was NOT a good candidate but was told I was - At first it was a miracle - then slowly the problems started - it was "re-done" three times and now so overcorrrected that glasses don't help and my eyes are too flat to hold contacts anymore.

I have to emphasise that mine was done years ago and I would hope that screening and the proceedure have imroved since then - but if your work requires a high level of vision - and if driving at night is necessary in your world - THIINK TWICE before taking this chance.

LasikDisaster.com

Also - if the doctor you go to for a consult is wearing GLASSES - ask yourself "why"

Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Also - if the doctor you go to for a consult is wearing GLASSES - ask yourself "why"
Too funny!

Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM

349 posts, read 1,289,460 times
I had it done a few years back in Virginia Beach and yes it's a life changing event. I had the same issue where I could see up close, but needed glasses for distance; was about 20/300 at the time. What I had done was called Supralase, which is similar to Lasik, but doesn't utilize a flap like Lasik. The advantages is that it's a better procedure than Lasik, but the recovery is longer and more painful since they burn off your cornea. I was basically in bed on meds for 36 hours of recovery. My vision is now 20/10 with no issues at all.

I would definitely recommend doing a lot of research and even going to consultations at more than one place. The doctor I had do it was well known by other doctors and pharmacists in Va Beach and had been published and awarded in medical journals; though he was a bit of a kook. They have been great and even when I've had other eye issues I can call and speak to the doctor or his assistants even after hours.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 61,626 times
I am a nurse and used TLC in Rockville.....they were wonderful and one of the doctors there did Tiger Woods surgery and several other famous sportsman. I know many Nurses that used them and were very happy. It is guaranteed and they will "tweak" it if need be later. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM

969 posts, read 2,512,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluele$$ View Post
It is guaranteed and they will "tweak" it if need be later. Good luck!
Trust me - it is NOT guaranteed - you sign a form that says basically that you understand what the surgery is SUPPOSED to do - BUT - you ALSO understand that in VERY rare cases (their emphasis - not mine) - the desired result may not ONLY not happen - but you MAY experience a negative outcome.

And NO ONE expects to be that very "rare case" but it has to happen to at least a FEW people or why would they make you sign away your right to go back and get financially compensated for their mistake in allowing poor prospects to go through with the proceedure.

And "tweaking" is what ruined my eyes for any future ability to correct them - too MUCH was done.

As a nurse who has people sign consent forms I would think you would be familiar with accepting risk - nothing is 100% guaranteed in the world of medicine

Old 12-07-2007, 01:27 PM

13 posts, read 109,949 times
I had mine done in May of this year at Lasik Plus in Louisville, KY. I think the total for me with both eyes was $2800, but I had a little (5%) discount through work. Everyone I had talked to emphasized finding a surgeon who had done a lot of them, and my DR had done over 20,000. He wasn't wearing glasses either!
I would do it again in a second, I'm 29 now and had worn glasses/contacts since I was 11. We're getting my husband's done soon as well, I just went as the first guinea pig for the family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia