Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to the area in ~6 months. She'll be working at Children's National Medical Center (north DC) and I'll be working South of Dulles Airport just off 28.

We're looking to spend <$500k on a place - likely a townhome or single family home. We like taking walks, and would enjoy a safe neighborhood with a sense of community. Also, we've got an 18 month old, so a park or green space nearby would be great. A good elementary school for the boy also seems prudent.

Do you have suggestions on where we should start?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
WMA?
Just curious.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Kirkpatrick Farms Aldie, VA 20105 zip code is really nice. So is 20152 of South Riding. Lots of working professionals, and Loudoun County Schools which are top notch. Going a tad bit further out, you might like 20169 neighborhood of Dominion Valley (reference to house on [5205-Blossom Hill Drive in Haymarket) which included an indoor pool and stuff for kids.

Last edited by FindingZen; 04-01-2014 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Realtor-driven site; only generic sites (e.g. realtor.com/MRIS) can be used per the TOS.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
WMA?
Just curious.
Washington Metro Area

Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwibs View Post
Washington Metro Area
Oh. Ok. I don't know why I couldn't figure that out. I guess I don't see that very often and was trying to think of a company near the airport.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Considering your wife's job location in DC - I would not recommend going out as far as South Riding or Haymarket. She will be miserable and you won't ever see her. I highly recommend Reston and in your price range there are plenty of townhouses in the South Lakes area. Reston has lots of green space and 50 miles of trails. By the time you get here the Metro will have started in Reston and your wife can take it to work in DC. Below are links to a few properties that are in your price range and under a mile to the new Metro stop.

2147 GREENKEEPERS CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2157 GOLF COURSE DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11872 LAKES CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11529 LINKS DR, RESTON, VA 20190 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM

I thought Reston schools were not that great.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwibs View Post
Washington Metro Area
We use the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) acronym down here, (or NoVA)

Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I thought Reston schools were not that great.
I don't have direct experience with Reston schools - I was an empty nester when I moved to Reston.

I do have many friends and neighbors with experiences. The young adults in my neighborhood all seemed to have gotten an excellent start in life in Reston schools. I know recent graduates from Yale (Chem Eng @ Exxon), Virginia Tech (working on PhD at RPI) and University of VA. Three neighbors are currently enrolled at University of Virginia. I was recently in a discussion with neighbors that included parents that had children with both principals, on how Terraset has improved dramatically with new principal. The only Reston Elementary I understand that should be avoided is Dogwood.

Great Schools has the following ratings for Reston schools

Elementary Schools
Hunters Woods - 9
Lake Anne, Sunrise Valley, Aldrin - 8
Armstrong - 7
Forest Edge, Terraset - 6
Dogwood - 3

Hughes Middle School - 8

South Lakes High School - 6
Herndon High School - 6

Here is the table to recent SAT scores for Fairfax High Schools. Both South Lakes and Herndon High Schools beat the Virgina and national averages in all three areas. Additionally, South Lakes has shown steady improvement over the last three years in all three areas.
http://www.fcps.edu/cco/pr/satact/2013/table2.pdf

I don't think this data supports your assertion that Reston schools are "not that great".

Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,429 times
I would look at Franklin Farm, which is very close to Rt. 28, as well as Fairfax County Parkway (so good access to 66, to get to DC).

One part of Franklin Farm sends kids to Oak Hill Elementary, Franklin Middle School, and Chantilly High School, one part sends kids to Navy Elementary, Franklin Middle School, and Oakton High School, and another section sends kids to Crossfield Elementary, Carson Middle School, and Oakton High School. Those are all GREAT schools.

Franklin Farm has great walking paths, lots of common areas (woods, tot lots, tennis courts, basketball courts, a volleyball court, ponds, open fields), two community pools, and a county park (just a baseball field and a soccer field, I believe) within its boundaries. It also has a shopping center with a grocery store, a few banks, a few restaurants, a small hardware, a liquor store, and a few other services such as dry cleaning, hair salons, a vet, a small gym, and an eye doctor.

Below are some Franklin Farm townhomes. Very few of the single-family homes in this area are under $500K, though there are some. Most homes under $500K are townhomes or condos.

13489 OLD DAIRY CT, HERNDON, VA 20171 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
3208 TAYLOE CT, HERNDON, VA 20171 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
13470 FOXLEASE CT, HERNDON, VA 20171 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

This home, in Chantilly Highlands (Oak Hill ES, Franklin MS, Chantilly HS), also looks good:

3226 KINROSS CIR, OAK HILL, VA 20171 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia