Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:47 PM

12 posts, read 12,697 times

Advertisements

I go to law school in MICHIGAN but have gotten a summer job at a law firm in Woodbridge. My sister lives in DC (Iowa Street) and I'd really like to live with her for three months (I won't be so lonely and she has a ton of friends who I'd like to get to know). Is the commute FROM D.C. to Woodbridge very long? What do you folks think about the commute?? PLEASE HELP as I need to rent something in Woodbridge if I can't realistically do this commute.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,233,031 times
It's a reverse commute although reverse commutes are not what they used to be as more and more people seem to be doing this. But, still much easier when compared to those coming into NOVA and DC. You'll likely have some traffic getting out of DC but once out I think you'll be fine.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
My friend's daughter did DC to just south of Woodbridge for about 6 months. The mornings were a breeze, the evenings could be tricky, but in general, they weren't bad.

Just make sure that you leave DC early enough to get out of town before the real traffic crunch. If you have to use the Southeast/Southwest Freeway, it is pretty backed up after about 7AM until you hit the outbound 14th Street Bridge.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:45 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,134 times
It's fine for starting out with. Stay with your sister for a few months, save some $, get to know the area and people well and then maybe find something in Arlington or Alexandria, which will be good mid-way point between DC and Woodbridge

Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM

45 posts, read 147,131 times
No not at all, most people in Woodbridge commute to D.C. BUT!!! Woodbridge is where ALL of the bottle-necking occurs. 5pm will be a nightmare! though you are not alone & there is no way around that. Alexandria & Arlington are way too expensive. Woodbridge has many sketchy apartment communities so please, please, please do your research. Areas around the mall/hospital Wegman's are nicer. Actually they are finishing up new apts by Sentara, check out that area or Lake Ridge and you will be very happy. But when crime happens in N.VA Woodbridge is where it takes place. It didn't used to be that way though.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShisHouse View Post
No not at all, most people in Woodbridge commute to D.C. BUT!!! Woodbridge is where ALL of the bottle-necking occurs. 5pm will be a nightmare! though you are not alone & there is no way around that. Alexandria & Arlington are way too expensive. Woodbridge has many sketchy apartment communities so please, please, please do your research. Areas around the mall/hospital Wegman's are nicer. Actually they are finishing up new apts by Sentara, check out that area or Lake Ridge and you will be very happy. But when crime happens in N.VA Woodbridge is where it takes place. It didn't used to be that way though.
I don't think the original poster was looking to move to Woodbridge. She has a job there for 3 months but she has someone who lives in DC that she could stay with.

And you are correct, crime never happens anywhere in NoVA but in Woodbridge. Never happens in Fairfax, Loudon, or any of the other communities. Ever.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Thanks-- yes, it's a reverse commute. I don't want to live in Woodbridge where I have a summer job as I know NO one there, but my sister lives in D.C. and would love to live there. (She works out of her home so is unsure of the commute issues.) I appreciate any comments about how debilitating the commute FROM D.C. to Woodbridge would be, or if those have done that commute have any advice.

I am grateful for all responses. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,527,027 times
Everyone is assuming the OP has a car. Maybe we should ask if they do first?

Commuting by transit from Iowa Ave to Woodbridge = Impossible
Commuting by car from Iowa Ave to Woodbridge = Easy

Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Yes, I have a car--thanks for the question.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM

So Gomason, you don't think it'll be too long and crazy a drive? How long do you think it would take, and what time is best to leave so that I'm not caught in maximum traffic heading south to Woodbridge? Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia