Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 PM

247 posts, read 511,017 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I've been looking at townhouses/condos in and Leesburg/Sterling and have found a few in the 300-355ish range (like this one: 46351 Hobbs Sq, Sterling, VA 20165 is For Sale - Zillow) and this one: 20577 Morningside Ter, Sterling, VA 20165 is For Sale - Zillow)

I've been reading a lot of posts that have said that finding a home in NoVA for under 350k is nearly impossible, (perhaps not in these area). This would be a "starter house" for a couple that makes about 100k combined income annually. Is there anything necessarily "wrong" with these types of places? I know Sterling has some not so great areas, but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for in these types of places? Zillow has a handful of THs/Condos for around this price range.

Thanks!
SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
Depends on the location of where you both work? Depends on the HOA fees(cost)?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 AM

320 posts, read 480,710 times
I can understand your confusion. Usually when people on CD comment that it's impossible to get a home for under 350K they're addressing a poster who wants a SFH AND an "excellent" school zone. Obviously, there are quite a few of THs and condos in that price range.

However, these units are not always good bargins when you factor in the HOA fees. They vary, but $300 - $500 a month is not unusual.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
Hey everyone,
I've been looking at townhouses/condos in and Leesburg/Sterling and have found a few in the 300-355ish range (like this one: 46351 Hobbs Sq, Sterling, VA 20165 is For Sale - Zillow) and this one: 20577 Morningside Ter, Sterling, VA 20165 is For Sale - Zillow)

I've been reading a lot of posts that have said that finding a home in NoVA for under 350k is nearly impossible, (perhaps not in these area). This would be a "starter house" for a couple that makes about 100k combined income annually. Is there anything necessarily "wrong" with these types of places? I know Sterling has some not so great areas, but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for in these types of places? Zillow has a handful of THs/Condos for around this price range.

Thanks!
SD
I would say they are both in decent areas. the Hobbs Sq one will have a farmer's market every weekend in the parking lot next door. Convenient! You can also look at the Woodstone neighborhood (between Dranesville and Sterling Blvd.) I lived there for 7 years and still own a townhouse in there. I never felt unsafe. Looks like they're selling for slightly over $300k now.

Only issue with any of these areas is schools. Sterling doesn't have the best.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:11 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
What crime there is in Sterling does seem to show up in Sterling Park, which is helpfully identified by low street numbers. In East Leesburg, the square bordered by Plaza, Edwards Ferry, the Bypass, and Market is probably the worst part of town, with the caveat below.

Caveat: Loudoun has no real ghettos, where you walk through at night (or day!) at your own risk. Nothing like the area that Johns Hopkins Hospital is in Bawlmer -- not even close, or even a gentrifying area of DC like Columbia Heights. Below that you've got areas like Frederick's Golden Mile or Culmore in Fairfax County which IMO are below Columbia Heights ... I'd put Sterling Park and East Leesburg in that range.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I would say they are both in decent areas. the Hobbs Sq one will have a farmer's market every weekend in the parking lot next door. Convenient! You can also look at the Woodstone neighborhood (between Dranesville and Sterling Blvd.) I lived there for 7 years and still own a townhouse in there. I never felt unsafe. Looks like they're selling for slightly over $300k now.

Only issue with any of these areas is schools. Sterling doesn't have the best.
Park View and some of its feeders might be questionable ... I'd have no qualms with Dominion or Potomac Falls at all ...

Old 04-02-2014, 09:51 AM

22 posts, read 33,596 times
I live in Greenway Farms in Leesburg.
Its a nice community less than a mile south of Leesburg off Rt. 15 with both THs and SFHs together, it extends at the south end into Woodley Manor and Country Club at the north end.

The townhomes were built in the late 1990s and are on the east side of the community, and very close to the pool and park with playground and trails for walking dogs. Some have garages and some don't. They seem to be selling just over $300k, and that's usually with hardwood floors and granite kitchens and so forth.

Its a really nice community in my opinion. Kids playing at the park, people jogging or walking dogs, all the community landscaping is well kept (so are the SFHs and THs). No crime to speak of. HOA dues are about $200/quarter ($67/mo), comes with excellent snow removal, 2 day/week trash pickup, 1 day/week recycling. Pool access, tennis courts, volleyball courts. Lots of sidewalks/walking paths that snake around the neighborhood.

It's certainly worth checking out. Good luck with your search.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM

232 posts, read 361,711 times
I don't live very far from the Morningside Terrace. Location in my opinion is excellent; neighborhood good. Very accessible to shopping, major roads, etc.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
$350k is nearly impossible closer in. When you start talking Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, you won't find much, especially, as mentioned, in a desirable neighborhood/school district. We bought our SFH in Sterling two years ago for less than $350k, and some still sell in our neighborhood for less than $350k now.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:26 PM

33 posts, read 53,305 times
Both homes are in good areas. Hobbs Sq is in a more busy area, surrounded by a shopping center, library, and the NOVA campus. It will have a more condo feel (you're attached at the back and one side to other homes) Morningside Terrace is more suburban, neighborhood feel. Both go to River Bend Middle School and Potomac Falls High School (different elementary schools). These particular homes are not over $350K because they are a little smaller and older than the newer, larger 2-car garage townhomes that got popular in the area after 2000.
46351 HOBBS Sq, STERLING, VA 20165 | MLS# LO8298815 | Redfin
20577 MORNINGSIDE Ter, STERLING, VA 20165 | MLS# LO8303787 | Redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia