U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 AM

14 posts, read 80,143 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have looked over the neighborhood village at gum springs, but was wondering if anyone had any input as to the safety of area, type of neighborhood, issues I should be aware, etc...any forum member input would be appreciated to help me get the place into perspective..thanks so much...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:46 AM

7,964 posts, read 18,018,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danok View Post
Hi All,
I have looked over the neighborhood village at gum springs, but was wondering if anyone had any input as to the safety of area, type of neighborhood, issues I should be aware, etc...any forum member input would be appreciated to help me get the place into perspective..thanks so much...

I live in the Route 1 corridor where that community lies. The area has gotten a bad rap, not the least of which from some posters here. Although I can see how the area may have earned its negative reputation long before I've arrived two years ago, it really has come a long way, especially with the variety of midscale retail options that have popped up. You won't lack for want of supermarkets, chain restaurants, pharmacies or big box stores.

It's my understanding that Gum Springs is an historically black community that got absorbed into the inevitable suburban expansion. The surrounding area is about as diverse as you can get in terms of ethnicity and socioeconomic levels. The east side of Route 1 - where Gum Springs is - on down to at least Mt. Vernon tilts more middle- to upper-class than the west side. If you're buying your home or renting from an owner in Village at Gum Springs, I think that you'd find people who care about the upkeep of their community.

Route 1 is a convenient but sometimes painful connection to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95 North) into MD, the Beltway (I-495), Old Town Alexandria and Crystal City in Arlington. If you prefer to leave the driving to someone else, a plethora of Fairfax Connector and REX(Metrobus) buses lead to the Huntington Metrorail station.

Oh, and you'll hear people on the news refer to the area on route 1 south of the Bridge as "Mount Vernon" but really that's a few miles southeast of Gum Springs. You'll have an Alexandria address (i.e., the unincorporated section in Fairfax County *not* the City of Alexandria) which I guess confuses some people. I've heard some realtors refer to the area as "South Alexandria".

In short, if you want to get in on the relative ground floor in a growing area that is only going to get better, I'd recommend looking into that townhouse community.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Thanks kindly - this is very helpful input...appreciated...

Old 12-07-2007, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 31,432 times
Check out the Incident Mapping on this page:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/crime_w.htm (broken link)

They do not log everything.

During the daytime, the area is very lively and yes, a diverse ethnic area of immigrants and apartments with pockets of revitalization. There is much petty crime but it is not as heavy as parts of D.C. It's not an area to be walking around at any time of night, though. It's not the greatest, but not too bad.
Check out this thread:
Mt. Vernon elementary/middle schools
That thread refers to 22309. It sounds like you are looking more towards 22306, closer to the Metro.
If you are looking for a middle class suburban neighborhood to raise children, look elsewhere.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 AM

Very informative and good to know...definitely looking to put the family in a place where they can walk during the daytime or hang out at a tot lot - just to get some fresh air...think I might worry a bit more in this area...thanks kindly for the insight...back to condo's in 22315....

Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,264 times
Talking Village of Gum Springs

I live in this community an simply love it. 10 years ago I would never have even considered the neighborhood [I am a transplant from another part of Alexandria and once said "I will NEVER LIVE ON rte 1 North of Belvoir], but find this area to be great. There is alot of slow revitalization going on and I believe that the improvements that I have been seeing will continue to come. The shopping plaza just across the street has gone under a recent revitalization and it is wonderful. It use to be very horrible and simply ghetto, but not anymore.

The Village of Gum Springs has HOA issues [like all places with an HOA] but the neighborhood [in my opinion] is great. They are replacing the lights in the neighborhood [right now many of the light posts are out]. I find that the main streets are pretty safe. Some of the crime has been from teens who live in the development and that has been resolved. Police often patrol the area [I see at least 1 cop a day at various times of the day]. Most people who have porch lights on and motion activated lights on their car pad and backyard lights do not experience any issues [but thats with anywhere you live - a criminal wants to be under the cloak of darkness]. The homes [from what I hear but I can't be quoted because I don't know first hand] that have received attempted break ins, car vandalism or other, did not have exterior/backyard lighting turned on at night . Crime is everywhere and I haven't heard of an actual break in or assault occuring in this neighborhood.

Even though the place is located off of rte 1 you can virtually completely avoid it when travelling [Folks on rte 1 drive 25 mph vice 45mph and pedestrians often cross while traffic is coming ]. If you have to go to DC, Northern Va or Maryland you have other options. For example, you can leave the community via Fordson Road and connect to Sherwood Hall Lane. Take Sherwood Hall lane all the way to Fort Hunt road which will connect you directly to rte 1 where it meets Woodrow Wilson bridge [no rte 1 headache, not alot of lights and there is a very pleasant shopping plaza on the right side]. Also, if you are travelling to the eastern part of Northern Va [Alexandria City or Arlington] all the way to George Washington PKWY and that will take you north Directly thru Old town Alexandria. You can then connect to I-395 and go into DC, or stay on GW and go Arlington, the Pentagon, 123 Chain Bridge road [which takes you to Tysons Corner or you can connect to the Dulles Toll road or I-66 from 123 Chain Bridge], or stay on GW and run directly into Maryland [the side north of Tysons Corner]. Fordson Road to Sherwood Hall Lane to either Fort Hunt or George Washington Parkway can take you where ever you need to go without the headache of rte 1 traffic. Also, if you are going to Ft Belvoir, you can take rte 1 South only 1 light from the community, make a left turn and take the side road via the local community [very nice area going past a high school] and take it all the way to a red light that connects you George Washington Parkway and a few lights down connects you to the base via the housing area. I LOVE THE COMMUNITY AND AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT. Did I tell you that there are million dollar homes less than a mile from the community? Did I tell you that the library, police station, fire station, and hospital are less than a mile away on Foot? Right now the place is great but once all the revitalization is complete, the place will be AWESOME!!!

Here is a negative to consider "your car insurance will go up in this zip code". Mine increased by $85 and its due to the accidents on rte 1, but I simply avoide that route unless its before 6am.

If you check the criminal database and sexual predator database, not many names or offenders [current or last known addresses] pop up in this area. If you choose to move there, do like you would do anywhere in life "Be aware of your surroundings". [[url]http://criminalsearches.com/default.aspx[/url] and [URL]http://criminalsearches.com/alerts/sexoffenders/search.aspx[/URL] ]

I LOVE THE PLACE!!! I HAVE GREAT NEIGHBORS!!! Can't wait to see it continue to develop.

Last edited by AlexandriaVa; 09-17-2008 at 04:23 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 AM

7,964 posts, read 18,018,388 times
Thanks for sharing,AlexandriaVa. Wish you were here when Danok was looking. Just goes to show you that hope springs eternal for the Route 1 corridor. (Get in now before the Fort Belvoir BRAC rush! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia