Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:32 PM

349 posts, read 1,431,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Widening another 2 lanes will have minimal improvement compared to the amount it will cost.
Widening would probably only work if the new lanes were toll lanes like on the beltway.

The bigger issue on 66 is most every interchange from 495 to 234 is really badly designed and can't handle the volume of traffic either entering or exiting even in off-peak times. Compare that to 495 (in VA and the eastern side of MD) where most the interchanges are built for the traffic flow, though of course 495 is jammed up just due to the volume of traffic. E.g. the 50 east interchange dumps two lanes from 50 on to 66 with a minimal amount of merge area creating a backup from even the smallest issue. At minimum they could at least meter the ramp to stop the bottleneck and keep 66 moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
I have driven a lot of interstates and 66 has got to be the most cluster%#@ road i have ever drven.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I have driven a lot of interstates and 66 has got to be the most cluster%#@ road i have ever drven.
I second this. I was on 66 today driving to and from Rockville. It makes me want Spaghetti junction in Louisville back or even I-64 in between Hampton and Williamsburg back. It makes 395 seem like a day at the park and this is including the portion in DC.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If your car ever conks out in one of those shoulder lanes....immediately climb out the passenger side and dive over the guard rail/jersey barrier. You may only have seconds until some dummy on a smart phone creams you.

An attorney I know was killed that way a few years ago....his car quit and an 18-wheeler hit him.
This is true. My friend was in an accident and after he pulled onto the shoulder he was struck again, where he sustained most of his injuries (which thankfully were not severe). It's a scary thought that is often overlooked. Sorry for what happened to your friend.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
That's horrible and the reason I don't think it should be used just because of incidents like that. The state should cough up the money and expand the road, but also simultaneously invest in getting people OFF the road with more money towards Metro and VRE, along with a giving companies incentives in the form of tax breaks to have their workers work from home.

Unless VRE or Metro can get me from door to door without changing busses/trains, I ain't interested.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Unless VRE or Metro can get me from door to door without changing busses/trains, I ain't interested.
Why is a train change so bad? In some cases it can add 6 minutes, but I've seen traffic lights that take longer to throughput, I don't see you saying you need to get door to door without hitting any traffic lights. Wife gets from Tysons to NOMA in 50 minutes consistently with a train transfer, soon to be 40 minutes with the finish of the silver line. It would be almost impossible to beat either of those with a car in the morning and afternoon.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:44 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
That "red X" lane on 66--I think it's actually a bike lane.

BWAHAHAHA!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 AM

518 posts, read 925,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
That "red X" lane on 66--I think it's actually a bike lane.

BWAHAHAHA!
I read this after catching up on the bike lane thread. Thanks, now there's coffee on my screen. I tried to up your reputation, but I need to spread the love around some first.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Ironic how over the weekend I saw someone cruising along in the red X lane (in a fancy MB SUV) . There was a trooper in the far left lane who saw this and immediatley pulled them over.
Word is there is an ongoing I-66 widening project going on around Gainesville and eventully move closer in. Who knows how long that will take though.
Metro most definitley needs to extend past Vienna.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I saw someone cruising along in the red X lane (in a fancy MB SUV) . There was a trooper in the far left lane who saw this and immediatley pulled them over.
I see people ignoring the big red X mark all the time on weekends, especially West and East bounds between 50 and 123. I wish to see the highway patrol enforcing it more often because it is very dangerous for broken-down vehicles and people who try to exit at the proper point (with big sign saying "Begin to Exit here", if you can read).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia